Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off like to say the family genes of being mechanically inclined must of skipped a generation because I am mechanically declined. I am in the process of putting on the dragula 2-1 exhaust and a heavy breather. I was told that I need to get a tuner and get it dynoed?? So I have done some research on the web and see that some people say you can get a tuner and not Dyno it and others say you need to do both. What exactly is a tuner? Any recommendations for the setup I have? I will eventually be adding some cams but that's about as far as I will be going.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Since you're running a Dragula, I'd say call Frank at Dragos, gives good advise, active here too. A lot depends on what's next. For me, the Thundermax offered the most options for future mods with auto tune. Costs about the same as a tuner and a couple of dyno sessions.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yep, call Frank, He can provide with both tuner and a map customised for your rig.

·
Registered
454 Posts
First off like to say the family genes of being mechanically inclined must of skipped a generation because I am mechanically declined. I am in the process of putting on the dragula 2-1 exhaust and a heavy breather. I was told that I need to get a tuner and get it dynoed?? So I have done some research on the web and see that some people say you can get a tuner and not Dyno it and others say you need to do both. What exactly is a tuner? Any recommendations for the setup I have? I will eventually be adding some cams but that's about as far as I will be going.
A tuner is basically a key that allows a person to change the fuel maps stored in the ECM. The program uses a dyno to adjust the fuel map for your bike! An auto tuner or canned map is a fuel map made from someone else's bike. Your bike can run properly but it might not be the best tune. If you plan on cams, buy a the tuner of choice your mechanic recommends.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Exactly my questions, Jason. Thankyou for typing it for me...:rolleyes:
Will be calling dragos today. one other question. can harley void my warrantee :eek: if i were to install the dragos items?:confused:. I'll hang/look around for more answers.. i feel like such a nubie.:(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are a number of cost effective tuning products that will give you good results without putting your bike on a dyno, for just doing pipes and a/c.

'Had a V&H FuelPak on my '09 SERG when I bought it, it was great (especially at the $ point)

FuelMoto (Power Commander) is really good with their "canned maps"

Frank should be able to hook you up without spending a lot of $ (a canned map in an "entry level" tuner)

You really only have to go to the next level of tuners (and dyno) when you change other things like cams, heads, adding compression etc...

Don't be shy about an "entry level" tuner, if down the road, you choose to do more mods, you can always sell them. (I went with bigger cams & H/C pistons 'had the FuelPak sold before I took it off of the bike)

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
A tuner is basically a key that allows a person to change the fuel maps stored in the ECM. The program uses a dyno to adjust the fuel map for your bike! An auto tuner or canned map is a fuel map made from someone else's bike. Your bike can run properly but it might not be the best tune. If you plan on cams, buy a the tuner of choice your mechanic recommends.
Great advice..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts