Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal:

Bike was setup Stage 1 as new and equipped with the SE tuner to remain under warranty.

Now it's Stage 2 with aftermarket parts and Power Vision tuner....FM tune.

I'm taking the bike in for tire replacement soon. Likely the dealership will hook up to the computer for an update, and of course instantly detect the PV tuner....warranty over.

I think I read a post describing using the H-D SE tuner to install the old Stage 1 tune ahead of the work, followed by reinstalling the FM PV tune after work complete...maybe I have it wrong though. Does anyone know if this is workable?

Any concerns about engine operation (short term) with SE Stage 1 tune along with new (Wood 22XE) cam?

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I will not say I would know, but, 1 1/2 years ago at Daytona bike week. I asked a very well known company about doing something like that. They stated that HD would know if an aftermarket tuner had ever been installed than removed. Not saying it is correct, it is just what I was told. With that being said, aftermarket products are getting better every year, so would they have a work around, I have know idea.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Super Moderator
5,545 Posts
I’m not sure about switching Tuners but you did a Stage II you’re more then skilled enough to replace that tire and save some money. However if you what the Dealer to do it, there’s no need for them to hook it up for any updates for a tire installation. Just tell them that’s all you want them to do is installation and the reason why if you feel the need.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,668 Posts
Why not remove the wheel(s) yourself and take to get tires installed, save you labor too. I just had both new rubber installed. If you can change the cam..........

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not sure about switching Tuners but you did a Stage II you’re more then skilled enough to replace that tire and save some money. However if you what the Dealer to do it, there’s no need for them to hook it up for any updates for a tire installation. Just tell them that’s all you want them to do is installation and the reason why if you feel the need.
I'd actually like to do my own, but I have no tools (irons) for the work. And I have no way to balance them. And I'd be really worried about marking the chrome wheels.

Why not remove the wheel(s) yourself and take to get tires installed, save you labor too. I just had both new rubber installed. If you can change the cam..........
This is probably an option I could live with. I have zero doubts about my ability to do the removal....the reinstall would likely be tougher. I'm giving it thought.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Are you near the Chicago area? Your bike more than likely won't even run well enough to get it to the dealer with the HD tune in it and yes the mothership will know even if you flash it back.

·
Super Moderator
5,545 Posts
You can take the wheels to an Independent to have them mounted as well. I try not to go to the Dealership and pay those rates. You can definitely do this yourself with a manual, some tools and the help from the Forum. I’ve accumulated a few tools over the years to do the basics. It’s surprising how much you can do yourself and the savings are a huge plus. Check out some YouTube videos to help you decide on the tire replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you near the Chicago area? Your bike more than likely won't even run well enough to get it to the dealer with the HD tune in it and yes the mothership will know even if you flash it back.
Not close to Chicago....remote hills of Ohio.

You can take the wheels to an Independent to have them mounted as well. I try not to go to the Dealership and pay those rates. You can definitely do this yourself with a manual, some tools and the help from the Forum. I’ve accumulated a few tools over the years to do the basics. It’s surprising how much you can do yourself and the savings are a huge plus. Check out some YouTube videos to help you decide on the tire replacement.
Thanks Kenny. I'm thinking my way through this tonight.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
If you do not want to do wheels your self. take it to an INDY. Dealership will plug it in no madder what. Has nothing to do with update it is how they do things now.

·
Super Moderator
5,545 Posts
No worries Kevin.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Make reference marks with a sharpie, nut to axle for torque and adjusters to swingarm. The newer bikes rotate the axle to adjust belt tension vs individual axle adjusters. The right adjuster is fixed via flats to move in conjunction with left. Check belt deflection before you start, should be pretty close in tolerance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Will the new Federal Trade Commission action taking against Harley recently change anything in regards to aftermarket tuner parts voiding the original warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:coffee:
Okay....rising to the challenge boys. I'm pulling the wheels today. I didn't see anything too intimidating on the videos I watched, and certainly not as technical as getting into the engine. I'm making a broad assumption that my TPM sensors will be unaffected once everything is back on the bike...hope so.

I realize this one (thread) went way off track. I may have incorrectly assumed that restoring the original H-D tune would cover up my tracks....at least from the standpoint of a computer detecting anything and automatically voiding any warranty I might be able to use later.

Anyway...without addressing each post individually...thanks for the advice and encouragement. If I run up against anything puzzling I'll bring it to the committee....you guys of course!

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Will the new Federal Trade Commission action taking against Harley recently change anything in regards to aftermarket tuner parts voiding the original warranty?
It could. The issue with tuners is EPA. They can at anytime out law or ban use of anything they want.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
When EPA slapped HD down because they were a big target. HD turned it into a chance to make money by enforcing the use of SE tuner only. That was not what EPA required. They required tuner that did not allow tuning outside EPA standards.
This is going to be a fun show to watch.
DYNOJET went through this years ago with CA.

Reactions: Shma

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Pay attention to the orientation of the sensors/wire, spacers and refer to the service manual. Taking pics before hand is a good reference tool.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts