Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 RGS. What I'm doing is slip ons and a stage 1 air cleaner. I do know I need to remap with those 2 mods. My question is, do I need to install a tuner at this point or can I just have the dealer re flash the ECM to reflect the changes? I also realize that it won't be 100% dialed in but just want it to run smoothly.

Thanks..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reflash to stage I will work fine with your set up. I would purchase a tuner if you plan on future mods.
Yeah, a tuner is definitely in the plans but I'm working on looks and ride at this point. The power is decent at the moment so im trying to keep as much money going to cosmetics as possible this winter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
According to the service manager at my local dealer (a good dude that can be trusted) a tuner is best in the long run, but stage 1 download will definitely work and will make the bike run much better than no download

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stage 1 download is a waste of money. UNLESS you are buying SE parts( mufflers and a/c) the download is for those parts only.

Or buy the SE tuner walk out with it YOU down load a base map and YOU use the smart tune function to tune the map within 10 % of where it can be dyno tuned.

Tons of guys ask the same questions and many say how well there "stage dealer download is.. Pretty amazing when you get done tuning and see how the " great running" bike .. really was not.

The SE tuner is a great item for your tune as well a code reader, and will provide real data from the ecm. Not uncommon for a gain of 7-10 tuned over a stock down load. So you can get pretty close to that without the need of a dyno.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Don't waste your money on a HD SERT there are better tuners out there that are better and easier to use. A reflash will work fine until you get a tuner but you could just use the reflash money on a tuner and be done with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I disagree that the HD pro tuner is a waste. It is in fact a very good tuner. It does have some items that could be added but for 98% of all builds it will get the job done every time. There is no BEST tuner sad but true..

However here is a tune that I just completed. Dealer sold customer tuner and they downloaded a stage 1 flash into the bike. It has SE air cleaner and a Fulsac head pipe with V&H mufflers. ALL testing is done in a 1:1 ratio and at at 190-210 engine temp.

The bike in fact ran decent with the download. However I can post the original stage 1 VE tables vs my tuned tables.

There are areas where it has 20+% change's Harleys will run down the road ok with a poor tune. Its not until you have ridden a correctly tuned bike that you can fully understand how much better it really is.. Look at the sheet and you pick what power level you want. 85 and 103 is avg for stage 1 tune with several ex systems. I can post up three more but not much will change. The curve may shift some based on head pipe and muffler but peak numbers stay very close to this one.

I do not want to turn the guys post into a what tuner is best. I tune with all of them so to me no dog in the fight. Its a new bike, under warranty a tuner that locks the ECM can be an issue, or a new ecm is a deal where it can also create issue for the owner. Right or wrong its just the way it is. Good luck

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
The problem with the HD SERT is in most cases it will tie the owner of the bike to the HD dealer.
To have the tuner reflashed or the bike dyno tuned most owners will take their bike to the HD dealer because they do not want to spend the extra money on the hardware and software to hook the ECM to the computer and if they did they would be lost once they tried doing the tune.
Other quality tuners such as the Power Vision or Thunder Max comes with everything you need (hard and software) to tune the bike yourself including customer support. Try going to a HD dealer for help on a SERT and all you will get is a appointment to bring your bike in and a bill for an hour or 2 for labor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Again I disagree about the tuner,.. that may be in your area at your dealer. But the bottom line is you like your tmax tuner. Thats great not going into that.

But when you tune 150 + bikes a year you know what works better than the next. Thats not an opinion it just a fact.

The HD tuner is very simple to use , it has a very nice PDF book that will walk anyone through step by step.

EXTRA money , a simple cable kit there is no extra computer , who in the heck does not have a lap top today. No tie's to the dealer at all..

TO the op good luck talk to people who tune in your area and gop from there.

All done here .

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I bought my bike used it ran like crap, but did have the SERT in the saddlebag. My tuner has had no issue using it to get the bike running beautifully. He is a TTS Mastertune dealer, but had no issue at all using the one I had.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
\ I also realize that it won't be 100% dialed in but just want it to run smoothly.

Thanks..
My experience is that it will not run smoothly until tuned and I also agree with a previous poster that said the reflash is a waste. While it ran ok, (popped in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear), it takes a tune to get it to run properly once you start the mods.

I went with the TTS Mastertune since that is what my tuner recommended. Bike runs much stronger and smoother now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
TTS here also as my dyno tuner recommended. I would find a good indy tuner in your area and go with what they recommend. It's a little expensive but in the long run the bike will run better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with 124shark. The SE tuner is very capable. As far as tuning on the dyno it will work just as well as anything else, even better than some of the others, considering the dyno tuner is familiar with it. I've averaged between 230 and 350 tunes a year for the past 10 years, i've pretty much tuned them all and am comfortable with most of them. Keep in mind i'm referring to tuning using a dyno not any SmartTune, Vtune or any of the other stuff.

To the OP, the SEPST has canned MAPs that will get you as close to your build as any download they offer you at the dealership, so in the long run since you plan on future upgrades you'd be ahead of the game to just get the tuner now and throwing a download in it. If you don't want to purchase the cables there is more than likely a forum member near you that has a set, if not i'll loan you my cables. Just Paypal me a deposit for them and i'll credit it back when your done if you chose to go that route.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Just a note the cables are only 40 bucks and the program is free to download. But I'll tell you I don't have a clue how to use it all but I'm working on it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a note the cables are only 40 bucks and the program is free to download. But I'll tell you I don't have a clue how to use it all but I'm working on it
That's true, but $40 is a lot for some people that just want to put a canned MAP in it once. Well worth it if you are Smart tuning though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts