Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please , to someone that KNOWS this answer . i am adding a 255 cam , screamin e air filter , cat free exhaust . it;s a 2011 103 . why do i need a race tuner ? isn't this a stage 1 or 2 , or screamin eagle stock package ? i am struggling to believe this isn't a simple remap .

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
The stage 1 download is very genetic and EPA compliment. Why would you add cams and not want all you can get from it. To get all out of your cams you are going to need the tuner. The Stage 1 down load just riches the fuel mixture a little.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You are changing the air flow and need to have the AFR's set to get the best performance from your engine. You have other tuners you can use besides the Race Tuner, but then also put on a dyno. There is the Power Commander 5, the Power Vision, TTS Master Tune, Thunder Max full auto tune, but then it all depends on what the Dyno Tuner you use works the best with. If it is a Stealership then they just use the SE tuner. With out a tuner you may run to rich or to lean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am locked into a dealership. they also want me to pay for 4 hours of dyno . i just smell a rat .

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Even if you have the dealer do the dyno work, I cant see it taking 4 hours on your build, which is pretty common and there are a bunch of predone maps that should get it extremely close to perfect before the dyno even starts. I smell a big rat here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
half of the work is warranty wk. i told them i don't need the extra 1 or 2 hp they cam get by the dyno. i think there are plenty of maps that will fit this change .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Harley will not flash a stock ECM, that's what the "Tuner" price is for so they can flash it (sounds crazy I know).

You can go to the Power Commander website (or other tuner sites) and see the combination of maps available (selecting exhaust, high flow air filter, and engine mods). If you are looking for a canned map, it helps to see what is available before you make the mods. If you are going with a combination not on an existing map, you may consider an autotuner (this also helps with future mods). One way or another, you have to buy something to modify the stock settings either in the ECM (Replacing or Flashing) or changes the information outside of the ECM (X-Ides or other devices to modify the stock information).

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
A stage 1 (air/exhaust/tune) can be done with a simple flash at the dealership, but you're adding cams to the mix and while the 255 is only a moderate improvement over stock, it's a stage 2, which there is no HD map for. If you're against a tuner of any sort then leave the stock cams in place and have them give you the stage 1 flash. Personally when you go beyond stage 1 you should have a real tuner of sorts (PV/TTS/etc) and you should spend the money on dyno time. Yeah it's going to cost you some coin, but you'll rest assured that it's done right and you're getting the best performance available from your specific combo (not all bikes are alike).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts