Road Glide banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Getting closer.

Installed 2.5 bar tmap sensor. Plays nicely with the thundermax.

Boost gauge installed in place of the factory voltmeter.

Fuel pressure regulator modded for boost reference. This was fun because 15+ have a small opening on the top of the tank and inside there are things in the way. Would've used a 90deg fitting if I had known that. Was real fun getting back together. Cleaned my fuel filter while I was in there, that thing was NASTY (green/brown slime/sludge?) on the filter media.

Makeshift intake horn for now. Used OE vacuum port for vacuum/boost reference for gauge and blow off valve.

Oil feed line is made up (nort installed yet) and oil drain line bungs just showed up in the mail today. Should be making boost tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
First off, sorry to hear about your back I hope you’re healing properly so You can ride“The Beast” you’re building when it’s completed.
Congrats on a great therapy project.
Looking forward to the final outcome.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
First off, sorry to hear about your back I hope you’re healing properly so You can ride“The Beast” you’re building when it’s completed.
Congrats on a great therapy project.
Looking forward to the final outcome.
Mike U.

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately been having trouble finding a shop in my area that will clean up the 131 jugs I have, so I'll be running low boost for now. Would rather be riding, not rebuilding due to a twisted crank. Hopefully after surgery I'll be back on two in 3-4 months! Just in time for it to start getting cold again.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Thanks, appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately been having trouble finding a shop in my area that will clean up the 131 jugs I have, so I'll be running low boost for now. Would rather be riding, not rebuilding due to a twisted crank. Hopefully after surgery I'll be back on two in 3-4 months! Just in time for it to start getting cold again.
You’re welcome Bro.
Take your time so You will be able to enjoy the ride in a few months.
Where are you located?
I’m sure there’s Members of Our Great Forum that may know someone that can help you find a shop to clean up the 131’s.
Best of Luck and keep Us All posted on Your progress.
Mike U.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just saw from your info that you’re in CT.
Here’s a google search of engine builders in CT.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Appreciate it. That's the first thing I did when I came into the big motor. Finally got a hold of Dan at Dan Vance Racing. He's located very close by, going to take care of me. Assembling and installing the 131 and getting the intercooler hooked up will be my late recovery project. Need to get shims for cams, previous owner didn't shim cams and they locked up on the case. Also didn't verify measurements, hence needing to clean up the cylinders and get new pistons (new pistons and heads to lower compression as well).

I got the thundermax ripping hard, so much to gain by setting timing. Getting about 38-40mpg N/A and can almost power wheelie. Runs below 280deg too, vs stock ECM I couldn't only get it to get below 325deg. That's with just the open collector. If I had a full exhaust I'm sure it'd be better.

Can't wait to get this thing wrapped up for now. Just have the oil drain line to do. Ordered the wrong -10AN male nipple. Bought 2 steel instead of a steel and an aluminum. So early next week that'll be complete. Just in time for the new snow to melt.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Appreciate it. That's the first thing I did when I came into the big motor. Finally got a hold of Dan at Dan Vance Racing. He's located very close by, going to take care of me. Assembling and installing the 131 and getting the intercooler hooked up will be my late recovery project. Need to get shims for cams, previous owner didn't shim cams and they locked up on the case. Also didn't verify measurements, hence needing to clean up the cylinders and get new pistons (new pistons and heads to lower compression as well).

I got the thundermax ripping hard, so much to gain by setting timing. Getting about 38-40mpg N/A and can almost power wheelie. Runs below 280deg too, vs stock ECM I couldn't only get it to get below 325deg. That's with just the open collector. If I had a full exhaust I'm sure it'd be better.

Can't wait to get this thing wrapped up for now. Just have the oil drain line to do. Ordered the wrong -10AN male nipple. Bought 2 steel instead of a steel and an aluminum. So early next week that'll be complete. Just in time for the new snow to melt.
My pleasure Brother.
I was going to suggest Dan Vance Racing as they get plenty of positive feedback from anyone who has used them.
Dan Vance is very well respected so I believe that You are in great hands.
Looking forward to Your completed project.
Keep Us updated.
MIke U.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So. Update... Got the turbo done and have put about 1k miles on so far with the 103. Installed a lockup on the stock clutch and it still slips. Turbo is a little oversized for the 103, with the 131 it's gonna be ridiculous. I get turbo choke under medium and high load at lower rpm, could also be a lack of intake volume.

Was getting some serious knock under boost, took some working on the tuning to get it ironed out, no more knock at all and getting 36-38mpg if I keep it off boost on the highway, basically under 75. 0-100 is hang the F on territory then falls kinda flat. Also can't rip it 100% because the clutch still slips despite having a lockup. I think I hit the choke point on intake/heads where they just can't flow any more air.

Heat is almost a non-issue. I don't have a proper down pipe so I'm getting radiant heat off the stubby I threw together so the lady doesn't melt the soles off her shoes.

Only have the 1 picture right now, been trying to get video but none of my buddies can keep up or the weather doesn't cooperate.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is awesome. Do you have any logs on pulls? Could be at max flow efficiency of stock heads. Also curious about fuel. Could be maxing duty cycle of injectors?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is awesome. Do you have any logs on pulls? Could be at max flow efficiency of stock heads. Also curious about fuel. Could be maxing duty cycle of injectors?

I'm likely maxing out duty cycle on the injectors and hitting the choke point on the heads around the same point. Unfortunately the thundermax can't datalog easily from what I can tell. I don't have a dyno to run on, all the local guys are very selective about letting someone rent time. I'm not really spending much more time fussing with what I'm currently running, my 131 motor will probably be done in a couple weeks. Done up heads, bigger intake, cams. Gonna be a wild ride for sure. I'll hit a dyno at some point to get it dialed in and get a graph for the shop wall.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts