Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, at a stop you roll the throttle forward for a second or two. Rear cylinder is shut down. (Cruise Control light is amber)
If you let go of the throttle and the cruise control light goes out, is the rear still shut down? (No throttle given.)
If you roll the throttle forward again the cylinder is turned on again (Cruise Control light is green).

While doing all this I can not sence, hear, feel any engine change. Is the cylinder shut down ONLY when holding the throttle forward?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Okay, at a stop you roll the throttle forward for a second or two. Rear cylinder is shut down. (Cruise Control light is amber)
If you let go of the throttle and the cruise control light goes out, is the rear still shut down? (No throttle given.)
If you roll the throttle forward again the cylinder is turned on again (Cruise Control light is green).

While doing all this I can not sence, hear, feel any engine change. Is the cylinder shut down ONLY when holding the throttle forward?
I believe that only enables/disables EITMS, aka parade-mode

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I believe that only enables/disables EITMS, aka parade-mode
exactly. you can not 'force' your bike into eitms. only enable/disable it. if it is enabled, there are certain parameters that must be met in order for it to go into eitms mode. if any of those parameters are not there, no eitms.

also, the parameters are different for the 2013 and below models as compared to the 2014 and up. look in your owners manual for eitms, it will explain it to you fully.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I don't have the EITMS on my bike anymore because the T-max tuner doesn't support it.
But from what I remember you have to roll the throttle forward and let the cruise light blink green 4 or 5 times to enable the EITMS and you have to roll the throttle forward and have the cruise light blink red 4 or 5 time to disable the EITMS. You can check and see if the EITMS is enabled/disabled by rolling the throttle forward for a second and the cruise light will be either green or red which will indicate the status of the EITMS.
When the EITMS is activated the rear cylinder will shut down when the front cylinder head temp reaches around 290 fahrenheit degrees and the bike is at a idle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What year bike are you doing this on? My 15 its all on the Infotainment. Nothing to do with the cruise control light

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
It's kinda like your cruise switch. It turns the system on but doesn't activate it. I don't remember the specific numbers but its something like this: Bike has to be in first or second gear, below 1200 rpm's and a certain temp. Then it activates itself and cuts the fuel off to the rear cylinder. If it activates, you'll know it. A little throttle to raise the rpm's will deactivate it.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It's kinda like your cruise switch. It turns the system on but doesn't activate it. I don't remember the specific numbers but its something like this: Bike has to be in first or second gear, below 1200 rpm's and a certain temp. Then it activates itself and cuts the fuel off to the rear cylinder. If it activates, you'll know it. A little throttle to raise the rpm's will deactivate it.
The bike doesn't have the be in gear for the EITMS to work. The bike could be in neutral too, and as long as the EITMS is turned on and the front cylinder head temp is 290 Fahrenheit degrees or more and the engine is at a idle the rear cylinder will shut down.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
The bike doesn't have the be in gear for the EITMS to work. The bike could be in neutral too, and as long as the EITMS is turned on and the front cylinder head temp is 290 Fahrenheit degrees or more and the engine is at a idle the rear cylinder will shut down.
the rushmore bikes have changed the parameters. it is no longer tied to front cylinder head temp, it is now ambient temp. i believe 80* is the threshold. many folks with the rushmore bikes have reported that the eitms seems to kick in way early......

·
Registered
805 Posts
the rushmore bikes have changed the parameters. it is no longer tied to front cylinder head temp, it is now ambient temp. i believe 80* is the threshold. many folks with the rushmore bikes have reported that the eitms seems to kick in way early......
I have a 2015 and the eitms is disabled. When it's enabled and I don't want to shut the cylinder off I roll the throttle forward. Please correct me if I have it assbackwards. Which I'm very capable of.:surprise:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I am assuming that the OP has a 2013 or earlier model because of the mention of the cruise light colors.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I disabled it on my wife's Limited because it kicks in way too early and the bike has the water cooling anyway. I have it enabled on mine (2013) but it hasn't kicked in since I added the cooling fans.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I have a 2015 and the eitms is disabled. When it's enabled and I don't want to shut the cylinder off I roll the throttle forward. Please correct me if I have it assbackwards. Which I'm very capable of.:surprise:
to verify, look in your owner's manual. but, unless hd has changed it, yeah, you got it right. roll the throttle forward, hold, the cruise control light will flash green if it's enabled, and orange (red) if disabled.

straight from the owner's manual:

EITMS can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure.

1.Turn ignition switch ON. Push the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position (the motorcycle may be running or not running).

2.Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold.

3.See Instruments (Fairing Models, typical) and Instruments: FLHR/FLHRC. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or orange (EITMS disabled).

4.Repeat the procedure as necessary to enable or disable EITMS.

NOTES:
•A flashing cruise lamp indicates the EITMS setting. A solid (non-flashing) lamp indicates the cruise control setting.
•The EITMS setting remains in effect until it is changed by the rider or dealer. There is no need to reconfigure EITMS at each startup.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought you can activate it at stop lights. While waiting at a red light, roll it forward and let the engine cool a little.
Also, the T max negates this?? I'm planning on getting that. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I thought you can activate it at stop lights. While waiting at a red light, roll it forward and let the engine cool a little.
no, you can only enable/disable. if the parameters are met, if you were to enable it at a stoplight, it could activate. but, you can not force it to activate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unless the new bikes have changed, you can either turn this option "On" or "Off". You can not activate it for an individual event.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine kicks in almost right away (2015 RG), its in the mid to high 90's here all day and you could definitely feel the difference when its activated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a 2015 and I keep my EITMS enabled and can definitely tell when it kicks in. On a good note though on my 2005 EG my legs would burn up sitting in traffic, but on my RG I have not been uncomfortable at all.

·
Registered
714 Posts
OperationWhen engine temperature reaches a predetermined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an "air pump" which will work to cool the engine.
EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met:
NOTE:
Refer to position 6 in the VIN Breakdown Harley-Davidson VIN Breakdown: 2012 Touring Models to identify configuration calibration.

• Engine temperature exceeds 284 °F 140 °C (all except configuration J and L) or 324 °F 162 °C (configuration J and L only)
  • Twist grip opening is at idle
  • Vehicle speed under 1 mph 2 km/h
  • Engine speed under 1200 rpm
EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:

• Engine temperature falls below 275 °F 135 °C (all calibrations)
  • Twist grip opening is above idle
  • Vehicle speed exceeds 2 mph 3 km/h
  • Engine speed exceeds 1350 rpm
  • Clutch is released with vehicle in gear
When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.
Enabling/Disabling EITMS

Enabled: The EITMS engine cooling feature will automatically activate whenever the vehicle comes to a complete stop and is idling during elevated temperature conditions. When the feature is enabled, it may not activate under cool riding conditions.
Disabled: The EITMS feature is not active under any conditions.
EITMS can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position (the motorcycle may be running or not running).
  2. Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold.
  3. See Instrument Lamps. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or orange (EITMS disabled).
    NOTE:
    A flashing lamp indicates the EITMS setting. A solid (non-flashing) lamp indicates the cruise control setting.
  4. Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS.
NOTE:
The EITMS setting will remain in effect until it is changed by the rider or dealer. It does not have to be reconfigured at each startup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts