Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals, I am wiring my two pbr amps to the battery and want to know how you did it. I am running out of room and wanting to see what y'all did. I have two eight gauge wires running down the neck and nowhere to put a fused dist. Block How and what did y'all do. Pics would be handy thanks Daniel.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I just ran one from the battery to the fairing and into a power distribution block. You can get them for all sizes of wire and set ups.

Mike

Reactions: sloride

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really want the fuses easily accessible, either under seat or side cover. I would think you would want it really close the battery just in case of a short or issue with amplifier so you do not melt every wire in the wire gutter.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Really want the fuses easily accessible, either under seat or side cover. I would think you would want it really close the battery just in case of a short or issue with amplifier so you do not melt every wire in the wire gutter.
You can still have the fuse close to the battery. You run a small length of wire to a fuse holder under the seat or a side panel then out the the fairing where you mount the dist block then to the two amps.
I ran 8ga from the battery to the dist block then 10ga to my two amps with 10 ga ground wire to the fairing support. It's been like that for over a year and no problems.

Reactions: sloride

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I ran one 8 gauge wire to the fairing and have a distribution box there, I have 4 amps. My fuse is under the left side cover. Hope the pic helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't have abs so I have 2 fuses located where the abs module would be than I ran 2 8 gauge cables one to each amp that way if something happens hopefully only one amp quits.... I ran a third 8 gauge for ground to a lug on the amp mounting bracket for a common ground point.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
672 Posts
My fuse is mounted in the left side cover too. Then it runs up the channel to the fairing. Im only running one amp but if I were running multiples Id have the fuse in the same place and the block in the fairing.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
OK guys, great set up. I'm doing the same thing. My question is, RF recommends running the ground back to the battery. It looks and sounds to me that none of you did this. Anybody see a problem with running both grounds to another distribution block then a single cable back to the battery? Also, which size cable did you for power for ground?

·
Registered
852 Posts
OK guys, great set up. I'm doing the same thing. My question is, RF recommends running the ground back to the battery. It looks and sounds to me that none of you did this. Anybody see a problem with running both grounds to another distribution block then a single cable back to the battery? Also, which size cable did you for power for ground?

That will work,

Your grounds need to be the same size as the power cable

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks guys. I got it finally, had to make aluminum spacers to set it back a bit.
So looking at this picture it appears that both amps are running off of one 30 amp fuse from the battery to the distribution block, is this correct? and if it is, do any of you electrical gurus think this is sufficient?
-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts