Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenwood deck and a Soundstream 350D 2 channel amp. I've blown a set of Polk D651's and a set of Infinity Kappas. My buddy says I need a speaker with a higher RMS. My deck is 4ohm's. The Kappas were 2. Is that a problem? I'm kinda naive to this. But, I'm looking for something that'll handle being cranked up for 12 hour days riding cross country. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

· Another ICON
13,718 Posts
What's the power rating of your amp vs the speakers you had? If you have a 200 watt amp with 100 watt speakers and keep it cranked, the speakers aren't going to last very long.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picasso Nano 350w Class D 2ch Amplifier
RMS Power 4Ω 115 x 2
RMS Power 2Ω 175 x 2
RMS Power 4Ω Bridged 350 x 1

Just copied and pasted that from their website. Here's the Kappa specs.

•2-ohm impedance
•power range: 5-75 watts RMS (225 watts peak power)
•frequency response: 45-25,000 Hz
•sensitivity: 95 dB

So it looks like too many watts for those speakers then? Can you suggest a better speaker? A friend suggested Alpine SPR-60's.

· Registered
10,585 Posts
Adjust the amps gain/crossover accordingly and you will be fine. If it's still not loud enough, buy better speakers. $$$

· Registered
2,100 Posts
I have a Kenwood deck and a Soundstream 350D 2 channel amp. I've blown a set of Polk D651's and a set of Infinity Kappas. My buddy says I need a speaker with a higher RMS. My deck is 4ohm's. The Kappas were 2. Is that a problem? I'm kinda naive to this. But, I'm looking for something that'll handle being cranked up for 12 hour days riding cross country. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks![/

And yes that power thing is very important......

Those SPR 60s are nice for the money. They're 4ohm so they should be able to handle your amp's 115w/ch output even though they are only rated for 100w RMS(coaxial) and 110(component).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Those SPR 60s are nice for the money. They're 4ohm so they should be able to handle your amp's 115w/ch output even though they are only rated for 100w RMS(coaxial) and 110(component).

Well, the company I got the Kappas from just sent out a replacement set today. I think I'll run those for the rest of the summer (at a moderate volume) and replace them over the winter. Possibly with the Alpines. Thanks!

· Registered
341 Posts
I ran the Soundstream PN520 with Biketronics Titon speakers and it blew them when I talked to Biketronics they told me that the Soundstream amps send a high pitched tone that blows speakers. They replaced the speakers under their liftime warranty and told me to change out the to something else (they didn't care what brand) or the new speakers would not be covered. Supposedly they had several speakers returned in a very short time.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran the Soundstream PN520 with Biketronics Titon speakers and it blew them when I talked to Biketronics they told me that the Soundstream amps send a high pitched tone that blows speakers. They replaced the speakers under their liftime warranty and told me to change out the to something else (they didn't care what brand) or the new speakers would not be covered. Supposedly they had several speakers returned in a very short time.
Well, aint that a sonofabitch! I guess I'll be looking for a new amp this winter. That's good information to have. Thanks.

· Registered
10,585 Posts
I been running a SS pn520.4 for almost a year with no problems.
You can't use the amp's gain as a second volume control .Your setting your system up for failure if you do , especially if your running cheaper low rms speakers.
That's the first I've ever heard about the mysterious signal produced by the SS amps blowing speakers.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I been running a SS pn520.4 for almost a year with no problems.
You can't use the amp's gain as a second volume control .Your setting your system up for failure if you do , especially if your running cheaper low rms speakers.
That's the first I've ever heard about the mysterious signal produced by the SS amps blowing speakers.
I think I have the gain set at half. Maybe I should turn it down some eh?

· Registered
2,100 Posts

Well, the company I got the Kappas from just sent out a replacement set today. I think I'll run those for the rest of the summer (at a moderate volume) and replace them over the winter. Possibly with the Alpines. Thanks!

I have a set of used Alpine SPR 60c(components) sitting around the garage. Shoot me a PM when you change our your amp. Whatever shipping costs is all I'll charge you.

· Registered
10,585 Posts
I think I have the gain set at half. Maybe I should turn it down some eh?
Set your HU volume at 3/4 with the amp's gain at 0. Slowly start to increase the gain until your speakers start to distort, then back off a notch on the gain.
Do this with avc, filters, loudness /bass boost off. Bass and treble set at flat.

With out an Oscillascope , this way works about as good as it gets. They also recommend not using avc once an amp is installed.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll have my new speakers next week. I'll have to use your tuning tips. Thanks! It makes sense.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a set of used Alpine SPR 60c(components) sitting around the garage. Shoot me a PM when you change our your amp. Whatever shipping costs is all I'll charge you.

Hey Sharknose, I sent you a PM regarding your speakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.