Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I run a 8inch KlockWorks now but planing a long road trip to South Dakota in July with my woman on the back and need a good winshield for the open road that will be good for me as well as my passenger. What will throw the wind over both of us and not distort my vision? I am very used to looking over the short KW, took the stock POS off week one of owning the bike. I figure some sort of 16inch one for getting the air up over her head?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
There are a bazillion threads on this topic and if you do a search you can read for days about everyone's take on the subject. So if you are considering something in the 16" range you obviously are not concerned about the looks too much. With that being said save yourself some time reading all the threads and just buy the Madstad. It is adjustable, has a 60 day money back guarantee, and is THE best windshield for our Sharks bar none for functionality.

http://www.madstad.com/

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I use a 14" windvest. I am 5'11" and it does a good job for my wife and I. It is below eyeline in normal riding but tall enough to hunker down below in rain.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I run a 16" Madstad. i can keep it low when riding solo and move it up when the wife comes with, I tried a few before Madstad but this is the one where the wife did not get beat up with from the wind. I haver had it on for the last 35k and will not use anything else from now on.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
im only 5'6" tall and normally run an 8" Flare as well. I have a 10" Windvest for long hauls that makes a big difference for wind management comparatively. But from everyone i hear that there passenger complains about getting beat up from the wind and are considering going back to a batwing- they usually listen to everyone else with the same issue and get the Madstad. I have not tried it, but i do believe it is THE windshield for the best wind management on a Road Glide for both rider and passenger.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
im only 5'6" tall and normally run an 8" Flare as well. I have a 10" Windvest for long hauls that makes a big difference for wind management comparatively. But from everyone i hear that there passenger complains about getting beat up from the wind and are considering going back to a batwing- they usually listen to everyone else with the same issue and get the Madstad. I have not tried it, but i do believe it is THE windshield for the best wind management on a Road Glide for both rider and passenger. I guess im lucky my passenger doesnt complain too much about the wind, and wears a full face helmet most of the time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ditto on the Madstad. Not the cheapest nor the most attractive, but basically the only thing that works for a passenger. Riding solo, one can get away with a shorter & sexier windscreen. But if you're goal is to make a passenger as comfortable as possible, the Madstad is your best bet hands down. I run a 13" and can see over it at any adjustment (5'11", 32" inseam, '04 RG). If I set it at the highest setting the wife is good to go also.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I had a stock RG Custom seat and shield the wife and I got beat up bad.

Now I have a 13.5" Dark Madstad and when she is on I have the RGU seat for her 5' 1" and she has nothing to say but good things. I'm 6'.

I flipped the newer brackets over on my 13.5" shield. Now it stays in the highest position and I can still see over the top. Don't really know if it made a difference.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fenny, how tall is your wife?
My wife is 5'5" and all torso. We run a Mustang Wide Touring seat which I think is similar in height to the Electra Glide & Roadglide Ultra seats. Also, I have a lower fairing than a lot of the other guys here as mine is a 2004 (Harley raised the fairing in 2010).

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think TrueBlue had a National Cycle V-Stream tall for sale in the classifieds. That will probably work. A Madstad will work. Don't be afraid to get a tall one. I have a 14.5" M.S.. At its tallest, I look through it and wind management is great. At its lowest it is lower than my 13" Windvest, an I get no buffeting with my skull cap and minor buffeting with my 3/4 helmet. Wife likes much better than the 8" Klock Werks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Another Madstad recommendation here. Used a 12" windvest solo and the stock shield 2 up. Got tired of switching shields and stock shield didn't really work great for her. Went with a 13" Madstad. She loves it. I have to admit it is the best shield I have ever ridden with on a motorcycle. I need to take a new pic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike is an 05 so my fairing is same hight as yours the lower one. I am 5.9 and my GF is about 5.7 with tall torso we also have the big harley touring seat. I am wondering if the 13 would work or if I should go with the 14.5? I will only put this on for long trips and want to make sure its ebough to keep her out of the wind. Really cant stand the look of the Madstad compared to my 8in KW but willing to get one for long trips if it works for her on the back. She has neck issues and really want to get her out of the wind.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My wife has neck issue too. I am 5'9". A 14.5 will work fine. If you are going to keep the Klock Werks and you really want to make sure she is comfortable as possible go for a 16". You are better off looking at it than wishing you had it.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I would recommend the 14.5 and have Mark drill the holes an inch higher. This will allow you the ability to lower the shield that much more for around town cruising on your trip and still be able to adjust it up for the highway. I really don't think you guys would need the 16" but it does offer the maximum protection. 14.5" would be the best looking with the best protection.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I think TrueBlue had a National Cycle V-Stream tall for sale in the classifieds. That will probably work. A Madstad will work. Don't be afraid to get a tall one. I have a 14.5" M.S.. At its tallest, I look through it and wind management is great. At its lowest it is lower than my 13" Windvest, an I get no buffeting with my skull cap and minor buffeting with my 3/4 helmet. Wife likes much better than the 8" Klock Werks.
'Preciate the plug grambo. Here's the link with pics:http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=136169

Like it says in the ad, I'm selling because I have a Madstad. Happy to sell you my V-Stream which is a very tall very good shield and will only be $95.

I do agree with what others have said about the MS.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Have a 13" Madstad with Hammock seat. Wife and son like it. I got used to the look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts