Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading posts on the different brands and heights. Some posts, guys are raving about it. In another thread, there is nothing but hate.

I'm 6'0 and I wear a full face 99% of the time on the hwy so a little wind blast is okay. Right now I have the stock windshield and I was getting bad buffeting yesterday.

I like the KW 8" a lot but at 6ft, I don't think it will work. I really like the KW 12" and the Cee Bailey TRSSC 14".

Now with me, I kind of prefer looks over function but I need the buffeting to stop cause it sucked.

How did you guys finally decide or was it trial by error?

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
12 " Wind vest with a few wind baffles will do ya justice. Thats if ya don't want a go Mad. Madstad that is.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
There's lots of good windshields out there. Universally, Madstad gets the best reviews on this forum. I have one that I purchased for touring long distances and I love it. The drawback is that many people don't like the look and it's expensive.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Learn from the trials that others have done an just get the Madstad first. I had a KW 13 that I rode less than a two weeks. Bought the Madstad and am very happy. I love the adjustability and there is no other windshield with the versatility of the Madstad.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Just get the Madstad. Once you ride behind it looks won't matter anymore. But honestly, they can look really good on certain bikes. The more you ride behind it, the better it starts looking. Not kidding. Kind of like our bikes... at first they seem ugly and then they start to grow on you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got the 12" flare. Seems to do good if I slouch a little. I'm 6'3" so I think it's a little short for me. Good mix of looks and performance tho....I'm thinking about going to the MadStad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you need to find some bikes to ride with different W/S's..... You need more friends.
lol, I've only owned the bike for 9 days. I have a couple of friends who have RG's. I'll ask their opinion on what they like.

I looked at the Madstad and while it may be awesome in function; the looks are horrible. I'm still leaning towards the KW's or te Cee Bailey.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you only ride solo a 12-14" windvest will work. I also have the harley dog dish and the fairing wind deflector by the tank with lowers. I will say the madstad is much better. If you ride 2 up just go ahead and get the madstad. I switched from a windvest (solo)/stock ultra (2up) to a 13" madstad. Its much better than either. I waffled on the looks but I like it now and actually get positive comments on it. I need to wash my bike and update my sig pic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I didn't seek any opinions on what model or color bike I purchased. I'm a function over form rider, so I run a MadStad.

If form is more important to you, then why bother asking others for opinions on windscreen performance? Just buy the one you think looks best on your ride. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I didn't seek any opinions on what model or color bike I purchased. I'm a function over form rider, so I run a MadStad.

If form is more important to you, then why bother asking others for opinions on windscreen performance? Just buy the one you think looks best on your ride. ;)
While I perfer looks over function, I want "some" function in there. LOL
The stock is horrible for helmet buffeting. This is why I was asking for the best looking windshield that actually offers a little protection.

The two I like are good looking, and I'm hoping they offer a little more pretection than stock. Remember, I wear a full face 99% of the time; so I don't have to worry about where the wind blast hits per say, and my sun glasses flying off. I just some of the buffeting to stop.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The two I like are good looking, and I'm hoping they offer a little more pretection than stock. Remember, I wear a full face 99% of the time; so I don't have to worry about where the wind blat hits per say, and my sun glasses flying off. I just some of the buffeting to stop.
If you ride with a passenger, consider them also when making a decision. The MadStad is propbably preferred by passengers more so than drivers.

I have a ClearView XL (drive in movie screen) that passengers loved, but I hated looking through it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Wife and I love my Baggershield 10.5/17. Adjustable flip over 10 1/2" or 17".. I cut down so flipped up is 15 1/2" Can flip over in about 1 minute or so. Bottom half is dark tint, upper portion clear. You always have both parts with you. Heavy duty aircraft plastic. No head buffeting. I can hear stereo loud and clear at 85 mph. Rain and bugs go over my head. About $180. Call Spencer at Baggershield. Great service.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Let me start by saying I have a Madstad. It's the best one & I've tried a lot.

In my experience, one of the best shields other than a Madstad with a FF helmet has been one from an '11 CVO FLTRUSE I bought from another forum member.. It is taller than stock, seems to lean back further, has holes instead of slots like the stocker. It also has a much thicker gasket that may lean it back another degree or so bringing it closer to the rider.

Keep in mind this is my opinion on my bike with a Nolan N104. I'm 6' with a 31 inseam and like to look over not through a shield.

I have used a Clearview like Shrug mentions and one from Freedom; they are similar to each other, not bad actually. However neither of them or the aforementioned CVO shield functions as well as a Madstad.

If you want style with curves, get a Cee Baileys TRSSC, a Cee Glide or Klock Works, they cost nearly as much as a Madstad, may work almost as well for the rider, but do heed Shrug's comments on the passenger.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Had stock, LRS Mako 14.5 then madstad, wife says I'm not allowed to change from the madstad, but I love the madstad, down low for around town, half way up on the highway, up to just below my eyes for rain or windy days.

Jay

·
Registered
43 Posts
While I perfer looks over function, I want "some" function in there. LOL
The stock is horrible for helmet buffeting. This is why I was asking for the best looking windshield that actually offers a little protection.

The two I like are good looking, and I'm hoping they offer a little more pretection than stock. Remember, I wear a full face 99% of the time; so I don't have to worry about where the wind blast hits per say, and my sun glasses flying off. I just some of the buffeting to stop.
I had a Klockwerks 12 inch on mine for about 6 months. I liked the looks and was ok riding local or up to say 50 to 55, but over that I got wind buffeting, with the 3 helmets I use, 3/4, fullface and some but not so much with my 1/2. When on the highway it was really bad with the 3/4 and the fullface. My wife when she was with me she had a lot of buffeting. At times it got so bad it my sight would get blurry from the head shake. About a week ago I put the stock one back on and it really reduced all of the above. I'm 5'9 and this is on a 13 RG Ultra. I was confused as well when I purchased my Klockweks, and admit it's a well made piece but it didn't meet my expectations. Living in Pa I have the choice of not wearing a helmet and have done so several times and have no buffeting with the stock one. The Madstad does get a lot of positive comments, but I couldn't get over the looks. For me, right now the stock one is staying on the bike. I believe HD has the winsheild demo like the seat. You could try different heights to see what works for you then purchase through HD or go with a same height aftermarket. I should've done that before buying the klockwerks and saving the money. I was going on research form here and other sites and made my decision. What works for one may not work for another, my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm 6', and just put on a KW8" for looks.
I don't get turbulance with my 1/2 helmet,
Only a bit with FF. I had a 10" windvest
I gifted to a good friend. It worked great for form/funcrion
for me. Not great for passenger. Check my album for WV 10"
Looks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been through three different windshields. I'm 6'3" and the stock windshield on my 2012 RG Ultra was o.k., but did feel some buffeting. The 2nd windshield was the 12" HD Windsplitter, while it looked good, it did absolutely nothing. The third is a 15" Klock Werks, which I really like. It is tall, but then again, so am I. I don't feel much buffeting with the Klock Werks, so it will stay on the bike. I would have tried a Mastad, but I think they just look plain hideous. I understand function over form, but even the German "Bauhaus" movement incorporated form with function. If the Mastad looked better, I would go with it. Everyone I know has told me the Mastad is THE BEST shield for the bike, but I just can't get over the way it looks. If you can handle the looks of the Mastad, Buy one. The are superior to all of the others on the market. At least thats what everyone who owns one has pounded into my head.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts