Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using ultra bars on their special ? I just picked up a 18 RGS and i actually like the bars but i wish they were a tad bit taller. I read that the RGU bars were taller so before i drop money on aftermarket bars i thought i would ask here and see how you guys like them and maybe if anyone has any pics ? Also how much taller are they ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anybody using ultra bars on their special ? I just picked up a 18 RGS and i actually like the bars but i wish they were a tad bit taller. I read that the RGU bars were taller so before i drop money on aftermarket bars i thought i would ask here and see how you guys like them and maybe if anyone has any pics ? Also how much taller are they ?
I believe they are considering them 11" but that's just me thrying to find out what size before I changed them out. I have my stock bars if you're interested let me know...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
from what I can find, RGU bars:
10.25" Rise
10" Pullback
34.75 wide

RG/S
9.50" Rise
10.50" Pullback
32.25" Wide

They will fit, lots of people have done it. All you have to do is pull that pesky pin on the bottom clamp. A pair of vice grips will pull it out, or others have pounded it down so its flush.

Check craigslist or ebay before ordering them from the dealer. Lots of people changing out their bars so they can be had for much less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe they are considering them 11" but that's just me thrying to find out what size before I changed them out. I have my stock bars if you're interested let me know...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Are your stock bars black ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10.25" Rise
10" Pullback
34.75 wide

RG/S
9.50" Rise
10.50" Pullback
32.25" Wide

They will fit, lots of people have done it. All you have to do is pull that pesky pin on the bottom clamp. A pair of vice grips will pull it out, or others have pounded it down so its flush.

Check craigslist or ebay before ordering them from the dealer. Lots of people changing out their bars so they can be had for much less.
Thanks for that info, deff not gonna buy new, I wanna say i has 12'' bars on my 13 and they were nice but these new factory's feel good too

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was using Ultra bars on my Ultra, and honestly don’t have anything bad to say about them. Buddy has an RGS and he’s swapping his stock bars out as soon as financially possible. I only swapped mine out because I wanted a different look. Hanging on to them “just in case”, since haven’t taken a road trip with the new setup yet. You should have no problems swapping yours out for Ultra bars, just do as previous posts said. The pin on an RGS clamp is opposite of that on an Ultra so will need to tap flush or just remove. Very simple.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winter here in MI so i haven't rode with these bars yet but just sitting here they feel good. When i sat on my SGS i instantly knew i didn't like those bars, but its all personal preference.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You may want to look for road king bars. Taller than ultra and less pull back. I went that way for my carpal tunnel to straighten my wrists.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
So is pullback the wrist angle ?
End rise and pull back combined create wrist angle. But of course, wrist angle can change with positioning of the bars

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Pullback & wrist angle are 2 different things.
Pullback is the distance the grip goes back, which gives you the grip angle. Granted it's not the only thing that effects wrist angle but it effects wrist angle far more than anything else.

·
Registered
623 Posts
10.25" Rise
10" Pullback
34.75 wide

RG/S
9.50" Rise
10.50" Pullback
32.25" Wide

Thanks for this information. When my 2017 was damaged this week, I've started throwing around the idea of trading in my '17 Ultra on a 18 Special. I asked the sales guy if the bars were different, because I remembered reading that they are, but he said they are the same on the '18 Ultra and Special. He's a new sales guy so I'll cut him a break and educate him when I go back in :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I asked the sales guy if the bars were different, because I remembered reading that they are, but he said they are the same on the '18 Ultra and Special. He's a new sales guy so I'll cut him a break and educate him when I go back in :)
Take your tape measure along and measure first, just in case...lol...

The 2018 Touring Parts catalog shows the same diagram item number (item 21 (handlebars) for the RGU and RGS, so looks like same bars. The part numbers are different. The RGU bars are chrome and the RGS black. Don’t know if the part number is different because of the different finish or because of the different finish as well as the hole being on the opposite side of the RGU bars in order to accommodate the pin in the lower clamp. The RGU lower clamp is still a different part number than for the RG/RGS.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Take your tape measure along and measure first, just in case...lol...

The 2018 Touring Parts catalog shows the same diagram item number (item 21 (handlebars) for the RGU and RGS, so looks like same bars. The part numbers are different. The RGU bars are chrome and the RGS black. Don’t know if the part number is different because of the different finish or because of the different finish as well as the hole being on the opposite side of the RGU bars in order to accommodate the pin in the lower clamp. The RGU lower clamp is still a different part number than for the RG/RGS.
Interesting.....I did end up trading the damaged '17 Ultra on the '18 special in white. The bars do feel different than the '17. Once I put the Mustang lowdown seat on with the backrest, which pushes me forward a bit, the factory bars feel okay, but just okay. If I could find some used Ultra bars in black I would consider that, but I'm considering other options also. The Harley tallboy bars look like they could work. Ideally, I'd like them to be an inch or two taller than factory and be able to pull them closer to me. I loved the helibars I had on a previous bike but they're pricey, wired on the outside, and kinda pointless once you get them in the position you want.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting.....I did end up trading the damaged '17 Ultra on the '18 special in white. The bars do feel different than the '17. Once I put the Mustang lowdown seat on with the backrest, which pushes me forward a bit, the factory bars feel okay, but just okay. If I could find some used Ultra bars in black I would consider that, but I'm considering other options also. The Harley tallboy bars look like they could work. Ideally, I'd like them to be an inch or two taller than factory and be able to pull them closer to me. I loved the helibars I had on a previous bike but they're pricey, wired on the outside, and kinda pointless once you get them in the position you want.

I have a set of takeoff RG Ultra bars off my 17 RGU that I’ll let you have, pm me if you’re interested and we can negotiate a deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a set of takeoff RG Ultra bars off my 17 RGU that I’ll let you have, pm me if you’re interested and we can negotiate a deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They would have to be black, but I'm gonna consider some other options first.....I appreciate it though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts