Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple questions for those that use the ultra cool reefer oil cooler. I don't currently have an oil cooler on now but I have an opportunity to get one at a fairly reasonable price but was wondering how those dual fans sound when they're running? Are they loud? Does this unit mount in the same location that the stock oil coolers do? And can you possibly post a pic or two of them mounted? Any other info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Rob I have never heard my fan's running never really listened for them either. It does mount in stock location. Comes with braided lines. I noticed the temp being around 10 degrees cooler just do to the size of the fins and 17 row cooler compared to the OEM. hope this helps sorry no pics.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Rob, if you decide to go with it let us know how it is.
I've been considering one myself.
Thanks.
Mike U.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I'll try and take some pics tomorrow. I dont hear the fans at all, not mention they don't come on very often. My oil temps stay very low since installing mine last year. The only time the fans kick on is in really hot stop and go traffic.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I had the original Ultra cool, and upgraded to the Reefer a couple of years ago, (they made me a great offer). You don't hear the fans when the engine is running, the only way I know they're running is by the led indicator.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I ordered one in black. The cheapest prices I could find was about $360 but with a conversations with a seller I was able to aquire a new unit in black for $300 even shipped to me. Considering the stock HD coolers are approximately that price I figured the ultra cool was the way to go. It's will be alil while before I'm able to install it but I will give you my opinions on it when I do.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question, how does it get wired up. Do I have to cut into a harness or just find a good power and ground source?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Power is from orange/white in headlight harness (spade connector) and ground.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was delivered yesterday and I was able to start mounting it up this morning but had to stop so it's loosely in place on the bike. Upon frist sight I will say this thing is pretty beefy. The cooler itself, or heat exchanger as ultra cool calls it is also pretty heavy duty. The directs were accurate for the most part as I found it better to turn one of the lines around in order to route it in a what I think is a better route. It's not wired in yet as I'm not looking forward to removing the fairing again but the cooler is mocked up right now but I should be able to finish it tomorrow. Oh and with the fans on the front of it it does stick out alil more than a factory cooler does.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After working all day today for overtime I was finally able to get everything buttoned up. Wound up having a small leak at one of the fittings on the oil filter adapter. I just loosened up the fitting and repositioned the line and tightened it back up and it seemed to have taken care of it. It comes with a small LED light to indicate that the fans are running but I opted to not use it because I don't want to drill a hole to mount it, no big deal. I didn't ride the bike yet so I can't tell you how the fans work but all in all its a pretty good lil set up. I'll be going out tonight so I'll ride it and see how it works, hopefully

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got about 150 miles on in since it's been done and I will say it's great. I cannot hear the fans at all when they're on and the bike today never went over 230°. Now I know it's still hot but considering it was in the mid 90s for today's temp my bike would've run 250° to 260° without the cooler. All in all I'd say it was worth it if it runs 20 to 30° cooler. I'm glad I put it on

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had one on for a couple years now and love it! Here are a couple of observations you may want to keep an eye on.
Mine started leaking where the oil filter mounts after the first oil change. I ordered a new o-ring and gasket from ultra cool, (actually i ordered five because a I have some buddies with the same setup) took it all apart and sprayed the gasket and o-ring with the spray on copper gasket stuff. let it tack up and put it all back together with blue loctite. The allen head bolts were actually a little loose when I took it apart. It has been fine ever since! good luck with it.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will keep an eye on it for awhile thanks. That's just me though after I do anything to the bike I'm always looking to make sure it's all good. I do like it though as it seems to make a big difference

1 - 14 of 14 Posts