Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I got a deal on a Madstad 13 inch medium tint shield. This works great but only one problem I've found. The wife and I took a road trip last weekend over to Huntsville Al. round trip 350 miles. Being vertically challenged I had the shield raised all the way up and had to look thru the shield. When it started getting dark the old eyes and factory headlight made it harder to see the road safely. I debated on ordering the 14.5 inch clear shield from Madstad but before i do that I thought why not mount the stock shield to the brackets and see how it worked.

So I pulled the Madstad shield off and marked off the lower shape onto the stock shield. The bottom had to be mark at the top of the mounting holes. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and slowly cut along the line I had marked. It took a little while because the shield would heat up and melt as the cutoff did the job. When the about 2 inch piece was removed I took a barrel sander to round and smooth the edge. I then marked the holes and drilled.

After mounting the shield on the brackets we took it for a test ride. The wife loved it, the higher shield really threw the wind higher and gave her better protection from bugs. I still want to get the Daylighters to improve the night vision.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Cool idea. The air flow concept and functionally of Madstad is what it's all about. You improved the viability and looks as well. Good job. I was at the state HOG rally yesterday (very disappointed )and several people commented on how they liked the looks of my 14.5 inch dark Madstad. I told them all how well it works. I thinks some might copy your idea. Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 100 ! I really love the look and function of the Dark Madstad, at night was my only concern. Adding the option of the modified stock shield for longer rides and night rides I think is a bonus.

· Registered
8,503 Posts
Looks pretty good and sounds like it worked out very well.

· Registered
830 Posts
A few weeks ago I got a deal on a Madstad 13 inch medium tint shield. This works great but only one problem I've found. The wife and I took a road trip last weekend over to Huntsville Al. round trip 350 miles. Being vertically challenged I had the shield raised all the way up and had to look thru the shield. When it started getting dark the old eyes and factory headlight made it harder to see the road safely. I debated on ordering the 14.5 inch clear shield from Madstad but before i do that I thought why not mount the stock shield to the brackets and see how it worked.

So I pulled the Madstad shield off and marked off the lower shape onto the stock shield. The bottom had to be mark at the top of the mounting holes. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and slowly cut along the line I had marked. It took a little while because the shield would heat up and melt as the cutoff did the job. When the about 2 inch piece was removed I took a barrel sander to round and smooth the edge. I then marked the holes and drilled.

After mounting the shield on the brackets we took it for a test ride. The wife loved it, the higher shield really threw the wind higher and gave her better protection from bugs. I still want to get the Daylighters to improve the night vision.
I don't understand.

Your vertically challenged (short) and with the Madstad in the highest position you could not see over it?

Huh? What?

Did you ever consider lowering the Madstad? :confused:

· Registered
10,571 Posts
Does that ultra shield have more of a curve to it than the Madstad ?

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PFWiz LOL With the wife on the back she needs it higher to push the wind over her. That left me looking thru the shield. If it was just me a 11 would be all i'd need.
Big_Gary

The stock shield does have more of a curve, but its thinner and flexes easily, mounted with no problem.

· Registered
10,571 Posts
PFWiz LOL With the wife on the back she needs it higher to push the wind over her. That left me looking thru the shield. If it was just me a 11 would be all i'd need.
Big_Gary

The stock shield does have more of a curve, but its thinner and flexes easily, mounted with no problem.
I wonder how much that helps wind management ? I always thought the Madstad needed more curve on the ends.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big_gary Before I did it I wondered about the top of the stock shield (being narrower) and the wind on the wife. After the test ride she was thrilled. She said the wind was only hitting her on the arms. But even that was not like the direct wind before the Madstad. For me it seems to amplify the com air rider pocket.

· Registered
830 Posts
Big_Gary

Ok, now I understand.

As you originally wrote it I was wondering what I was missing.

I run the largest size shield set at almost the lowest position on the old style mount and my wife is very happy with it. Possibly a longer shield set lower will push the slip stream farther than a shorter shield set higher.

Actually the I think the idea of trying other shields on a Madstad mount could be pure genius!

· Registered
1,651 Posts
That is exactly what we say to ourselves when seeing a mod which make sense.
"Why didn't I think of that? "
Most of us have our stock shield and others bought along the way until the trigger was pulled on the Madstad. Something to consider when tinkering in the garage.
There is a limit on how low the shield can go when riding two up. The passenger on a RGU sits higher than the rider and front of bike raises when the passenger gets on the back. Lowered and tapered seats also lowers the rider. For the air to shoot over the passenger's head or Helmet, GMstump41 is looking through the shield and not over. If he lowers the shield to look over, than the passenger is getting all the air riding over the shield right into her face.
The dark shield is to dark IMHO for night riding. Can't dodge the potholes and frost heaves up here in New England !! :eek:
I run with a 11" med tint to look over and to see through for road hazards. Also installed the deep brackets that gives 55 to 70 degrees. My wife wears a half helmet shield for interstate runs now and I raise the shield up to bridge of nose to look over with the outer shield with tilt at 64 degrees. Sweet spot!
Maybe my setting will be close to finding the sweet spot to help the newer Madstad riders. Everyone's bike is different unless comparing stock but with that said.... torso height of rider and passenger is not the same.
:cool:

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So far I'm very pleased with how the stock shield is working with the Madstad bracket and mounting plate. The height of the shield in the fully extend position is about the same as the stock ultra shield. It gives great protection from the rain and wind. At the lower corner edges i get a little flexing when going 80 but it doesn't seem to be touching the base plate. Most seem to like modifying their Glides so if you can re-purpose the stock shield to make a functioning second or long distant shield I say go for it. There is still some of the black coating at the bottom of the shield where it's cut off but it doesn't bother me ( lol yet).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.