Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So we've got a 2011 CVO RGU.
Love everything about this bike, we've put some miles on it for sure
Anyway, we decided to see about exchanging windshields to see if my lady would get some reprieve. I say this because I, at 5 11, am genuinely very comfortable on this ol' girl at pretty much all speeds!
However, lil' momma get's her unfortunate share of turbulence, especially at highway speeds...to the point where the wind seems to just go over my helmet and hit hers on the underside and to her, it feels at times the wind is pulling her helmet up.

We picked the KW Sport Flare. To be honest, we first picked the 12 inch version, got it from Amazon, installed it and literally went around the block only to realize it was too short. It was terrible.

But I indeed take that responsibility in knowing I should've gotten their tallest unit at 14 inches...so we did, installed it and ended up riding it for two hours.

I can provide these very general but agreed upon points of feedback from both myself and lil' momma;
1) It's incredibly smooth for both of us between 40-60 MPH. As in, WOW..."Hey babes, this is awesome!"
2) Once above 60ish and up to 80...which by the way, when we're taking a trip is pretty much the "MPH Pocket" we're trying to ride in....it was a "bit better" for her than the stock one and actually far LESS better for me than the stock one. She says she's not getting that 'feels like it's pulling up on the helmet thingy' but best describes it as "it just feels like a lot of swirling all around"

I couldn't agree more that my goodness, post-62 MPH, it was a loud swirling mess for me too!

Anyway...we're sending this one back.

Help us friends, what should we get and why?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
I can’t help you with the passengers buffeting as I’m solo 99 percent of the time. Do you have the wind baffles on your engine guard? These work well for me and might help you manage your buffeting. I’m running a Memphis Shades which works for me. I’m sure you’ll get some feedback from others with passengers. GL

Reactions: NCPiper and madmat

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
On my 09 I had a Windvest. Both of us really liked it. Put a Windvest on the new one now. 3 RGs in our group and all run Windvests.

·
Premium Member
2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO FLTRUSE
70 Posts
I think we have the same bike. Though I'd imagine you have many more miles than I considering I've only started riding this year.

With that said, I put the 12" KW sport flare on it when i first got the bike. Looked great, but not very good with the wind. I put on a Madstad recently and can't believe the difference. Recent 3 day ride to El Paso, where it's 80 on i10 between Midland and El Paso. You got to do 95 just to pass the semis who run 85 flat out. That Madstad was unreal. Like a pocket of peaceful tranquility behind it. Very noticeable performance difference. Just my recent experience and opinion of course.

Doc

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
I had a klock werks 8" on my 09 RG and thought it was just ok. I noticed cracks at the mounting holes so I bought a Memphis Shades to replace it and it is better than the KW. On Memphis Shades website they claim their shields act as if they are 2" taller than that are due to design. I will say the Memphis does perform better than the KW's of the same size. Plus it still looks better than taller shields

·
Registered
591 Posts
2011 rgu. At 5'8" the KW 14" sport flare is the best thing going. I think you have to make the choice between what you can put up with in the looks department versus the function department.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2011 rgu. At 5'8" the KW 14" sport flare is the best thing going. I think you have to make the choice between what you can put up with in the looks department versus the function department.
I have been using Clearview Shields for about 20 years and I swear by them. Just my 2Cents!!

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
On my '12 SERG I'm running the Memphis Shades 8.5 inch and it works decent for me and I'm about 5'11". I also had to add soft lowers as this bike didn't come with lowers. I really haven't had the wife out on it with this shield up to highway speed for extended periods of time to get Her feedback.

I had that same bike before the two I have now and ran a CHEAP LRS 13" shield with a recurve and it did ok for both of us except for the excessive vibrating at highway speeds. On my '15 I put a Freedom Shields on it and the quality is a HUGE improvement over the LRS. Depending on how tall your wife is and if you're using the factory Hammock seat, I'd go with either a 14" Freedom Shield or just bite the bullet and go Madstad. The Madstad is a proven performer if you can get past the looks and you can adjust it about a million different ways. I have a friend that has one on his '13 and runs the shield the whole way down around town and then will adjust it up quickly for highway touring.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Hi all,
So we've got a 2011 CVO RGU.
Love everything about this bike, we've put some miles on it for sure
Anyway, we decided to see about exchanging windshields to see if my lady would get some reprieve. I say this because I, at 5 11, am genuinely very comfortable on this ol' girl at pretty much all speeds!
However, lil' momma get's her unfortunate share of turbulence, especially at highway speeds...to the point where the wind seems to just go over my helmet and hit hers on the underside and to her, it feels at times the wind is pulling her helmet up.

We picked the KW Sport Flare. To be honest, we first picked the 12 inch version, got it from Amazon, installed it and literally went around the block only to realize it was too short. It was terrible.

But I indeed take that responsibility in knowing I should've gotten their tallest unit at 14 inches...so we did, installed it and ended up riding it for two hours.

I can provide these very general but agreed upon points of feedback from both myself and lil' momma;
1) It's incredibly smooth for both of us between 40-60 MPH. As in, WOW..."Hey babes, this is awesome!"
2) Once above 60ish and up to 80...which by the way, when we're taking a trip is pretty much the "MPH Pocket" we're trying to ride in....it was a "bit better" for her than the stock one and actually far LESS better for me than the stock one. She says she's not getting that 'feels like it's pulling up on the helmet thingy' but best describes it as "it just feels like a lot of swirling all around"

I couldn't agree more that my goodness, post-62 MPH, it was a loud swirling mess for me too!

Anyway...we're sending this one back.

Help us friends, what should we get and why?

Thanks in advance!!
Madstad

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
@steventammy If You are looking for a great looking as well as performing windshield Memphis Shades https://memphisshades.com/collections/harley-davidson-fairings-and-windshields
If You do not mind the looks but want awesome performance look no further than Madstad https://madstad.com/collections/harley-davidson
I am 5-10 and had a KW Sport Flare and hated it so much I gave it away. The Madstad I ran for quite a few years with great results, no buffeting at all.
The only reason I went to the Memphis Shades was I was changing My '12 and was going for a different look. That being said, the MS 6.5 that I have works awesome. Not sure of the passenger as I am strictly a solo rider. I would imagine the MS 8.5 would work better. In any case, whichever You decide, might be worth a call to The Manufacturer and pick their brains.
Hope this helps.
Best of Luck and Keep Us posted.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
I've used Windvest like forever on my bike and it works great for me . I use the 12 inch which is just right .
I like it when I can see over the top of the windshield by a couple inches and the air flows over my head about 6 inches or so but I ride solo so I have no input from a passenger.
When I first got the bike I tried the Klockworks sport flare and I didn't like it so it went into the pile of misfit windshields.
The trouble with windshields it may take a few windshield to find the one that works best for you
Windshields and seats seem to be the hardest thing to get right and what works for me may not work for you that's why we all have different opinions on these subjects.
Good luck on your search.

Mark

·
Registered
303 Posts
On my Rig, I had a KlockWerks screen, swapped to the Wind Vest.

Done and Happy!

YB

Reactions: ironmark

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used Windvest like forever on my bike and it works great for me . I use the 12 inch which is just right .
I like it when I can see over the top of the windshield by a couple inches and the air flows over my head about 6 inches or so but I ride solo so I have no input from a passenger.
When I first got the bike I tried the Klockworks sport flare and I didn't like it so it went into the pile of misfit windshields.
The trouble with windshields it may take a few windshield to find the one that works best for you
Windshields and seats seem to be the hardest thing to get right and what works for me may not work for you that's why we all have different opinions on these subjects.
Good luck on your search.

Mark
So true! They are tough to get right for you as clearly everyone's different. I do like to look over a shield as opposed to through one...anyway, it seems the madstad get's a shoot load of votes and to be fair, yes...it looks a little different but does is REALLY make that much of a difference in function? Is is really that good?

We've all got a lot of bucks in our rides and her and I are no exception in continually adding to it etc but since we're both in our 50's and truly love touring, we're in the 'function over form' realm.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
172 Posts
I sell parts at a dealership. when people come to me with this problem I steer them here. not too sporty, not too nerdy. really works. Madstad is another one I direct them to. Nothing fancy about these windsheilds
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Dog Vehicle
best profile shot i have. This is the freedom sport touring 10"

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
So true! They are tough to get right for you as clearly everyone's different. I do like to look over a shield as opposed to through one...anyway, it seems the madstad get's a shoot load of votes and to be fair, yes...it looks a little different but does is REALLY make that much of a difference in function? Is is really that good?

We've all got a lot of bucks in our rides and her and I are no exception in continually adding to it etc but since we're both in our 50's and truly love touring, we're in the 'function over form' realm.
Yup the Madstad really works. For 2 up , get the 14.5 or 16 inch

Reactions: DanHappy and Mike U

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sell parts at a dealership. when people come to me with this problem I steer them here. not too sporty, not too nerdy. really works. Madstad is another one I direct them to. Nothing fancy about these windsheilds
View attachment 432896 best profile shot i have. This is the freedom sport touring 10"
Thank you for your input...in your opinion which is the best for what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did almost the exact same thing, ordered the KW on Amazon for my 2011 CVO, went around the block and took it off, it was not for me. I ordered the Freedom shield, we liked it the best. Myself, I like the light grey tint.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts