Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to install some of the hidden fairing mounts on my 2017 Road Glide this afternoon and I stripped out a brass nut in the fairing! I went to my Harley dealer and he looked up the part on a schematic and it is not available as an individual piece, it is included in the $90 "Media Storage Compartment". With the fairing off, the stock fairing support bracket bolts into the piece that is broken. I bought a brass insert from an older model in an attempt to fix it but it does not hold very well.

Since the fairing bracket is bolted into this piece I do not really want t o rig anything up but it is installed in a piece of plastic so I don't know how strong it really needs to be.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or have a suggestion? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know what you mean. I recently trailered to bike week, before you even start... my girl is pregnant and really did not want to ride 500+ miles. On the return the tie down broke my fairing support some how and I cannot find a simple replacement bracket, without having to buy more than just that piece. STUPID!

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was attempting to install some of the hidden fairing mounts on my 2017 Road Glide this afternoon and I stripped out a brass nut in the fairing! I went to my Harley dealer and he looked up the part on a schematic and it is not available as an individual piece, it is included in the $90 "Media Storage Compartment". With the fairing off, the stock fairing support bracket bolts into the piece that is broken. I bought a brass insert from an older model in an attempt to fix it but it does not hold very well.

Since the fairing bracket is bolted into this piece I do not really want t o rig anything up but it is installed in a piece of plastic so I don't know how strong it really needs to be.

Has anyone encountered anything like this or have a suggestion? Thanks!
This is for Batwings but looks like the same one that is used in my 17 RGU
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6514K4/?coliid=I1ZD4QEW241QKP&colid=2YI2M2JD90H0Q&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would obtain a threaded brass ferrule that matches the bolt ( BOLT X 3/4 HEX HEAD ). Then I remove the old one, insert the new one and use epoxy or JB WELD.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1GUD1?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916712317!!!g!82128165717!&ef_id=WyeRjgAADO8SRpJ_:20180710123312:s

++++1

I did the same exact thing. Stripped it and H-D was no help. I bought one of these from Lowe’s and JB welded it in. No issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts