Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically, I took my whole fairing (inner) off my Road Glide to get painted and curious if the motorcycle can still start if all the wires are plugged in. The Only thing that is not plugged in is the: speakers. The bike had power last time I checked, I removed my rear suspension and noticed the turn signals were blinking due to the key FOB not being near the bike. So, I disconnected the positive form the battery.

Once I was done with the new rear suspension, I had to work on the electrical portion that's when I noticed the bike wasn't getting any power.

I also relocated the antenna, and don't remember or even know what this wire hooks up, but it seems there's a plug that's taped up with the antenna wire. I don't remember unplugging it, or not where it plugs into. Anyone know where that goes?

I've checked fuses, battery and going to recheck the wiring. But, what else could be the issue if the wiring is correct?

Trying to finish my air ride before I get my painted parts back.

Edit: Odometer turns on and I see the theft key is blinking. Still no actual power to the bike, so I can't even get any diagnostic codes.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
You do have the main fuse connected and the battery is good?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Whenever you disconnect the battery you should always disconnect the ground first. You could have caused the positive to arc and blown a fuse. The reason you disconnect the ground first is that you break the electrical current and when you go to disconnect the positive there will be no electrical flow that can arc. When installing a battery just reverse the process, install the positive first and then the ground. With all that being said... all you really needed to do was remove the main fuse (as per the manual) which in reality just disconnects the ground and interrupts the electrical flow (current) through the bike.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Double check the connections under the speedo/tach bezel. Check the ignition. Is the "off/run" switch on run and plugged in?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You do have the main fuse connected and the battery is good?
Yes. Checked the main fuse, it's good. Dropped off my battery at a mechanic shop and they said it's good.

Whenever you disconnect the battery you should always disconnect the ground first. You could have caused the positive to arc and blown a fuse. The reason you disconnect the ground first is that you break the electrical current and when you go to disconnect the positive there will be no electrical flow that can arc. When installing a battery just reverse the process, install the positive first and then the ground. With all that being said... all you really needed to do was remove the main fuse (as per the manual) which in reality just disconnects the ground and interrupts the electrical flow (current) through the bike.
Ah, didn't know that. I'll try that out.

Double check the connections under the speedo/tach bezel. Check the ignition. Is the "off/run" switch on run and plugged in?
Speedometer seems to show mileage when pressing the odometer button, and the key light flashes. The off/run switch is on and plugged in.

----

My uncle knows a few HD techs and they told me to check the ignition switch wiring to make sure it's good and also recheck that everything is plugged into the correct ports.

Edit: Checked everything, still nothing. Hopefully I get my parts tomorrow, so I can disconnect everything and then reconnect everything. I'm hoping there is just a fluke and it'll be fixed.

On a side note, I moved my antenna from the rear and ran it to under my tank in the center area. Could that have caused any issues?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I've been thinking.... Maybe my security system is being triggered by the new rear suspension due to it being fully lowered? I should be getting my parts back tomorrow, going to properly unhook the battery, reinstall everything, and also raise the bike up so it's not fully lowered and hope it works.

The HD dealership in Europe is closed for a week and the nearest one is an hour away which I don't want to tow the bike that far if needed.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I doubt the security would be affected by the rear suspension being lowered. I've got air ride on mine along with security and I've never had an issue like that. Double check and or place the battery in the security fob for good measure

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt the security would be affected by the rear suspension being lowered. I've got air ride on mine along with security and I've never had an issue like that. Double check and or place the battery in the security fob for good measure
Alright, it was just a thought because it's completely lowered. I replaced the battery in the key fob and tried it last night.

Just curious why my odometer lights up and shows mileage if nothing else is getting power.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bought a Voltage Tester. I checked my fuses and the only fuses that light up are the Main Fuse (40), Battery (15) and Radio Mem (15).

I don't know what else to check.

Can you blow a fuse without the middle portion showing any signs?

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
When you unhooked the battery was there any other wires attached to it? Maybe a wire fell off the battery terminal without you noticing when you connected it back up? Without actually seeing the bike first hand it's going to be very difficult to diagnose

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
It still sounds like the ignition switch may be messed up or a wiring problem to or from the switch

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you unhooked the battery was there any other wires attached to it? Maybe a wire fell off the battery terminal without you noticing when you connected it back up? Without actually seeing the bike first hand it's going to be very difficult to diagnose
That was the first thing I checked. The only thing connected to the battery was the battery tender.

I don't know how to check for faulty ground wires.

It still sounds like the ignition switch may be messed up or a wiring problem to or from the switch
I'm thinking that as well, maybe due to me not having my parts yet, which will now be for another week or two due to the paint company gave the painter the wrong color.

I think when I'm putting the switch back in place without the plastic instrumental piece, maybe it's not contacting correctly?

Is there anyway to test the ignition switch? I noticed I can turn the switch a complete 360.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
If you disconnect the battery tender and just run the battery and the KEY light is flashing that means the battery is connected correctly.
I would suspect that you don't have the ignition switch in the on position when trying to start the bike.
There is no need to disconnect the ignition switch wiring to remove the inner fairing, and the wiring that needs to be remove to perform this task is under the fairing, you only need to unplug the wires from the instruments and feed the wiring harness through the hole that is in the inner fairing.
All wiring under the speed/tach nacel doesn't need to be removed either they only need to be disconnected.
The bike should and will start with all these wires disconnected the only thing that will happen is you will get some DTC popping up but you just need to clear them when you have the bike back together.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you disconnect the battery tender and just run the battery and the KEY light is flashing that means the battery is connected correctly.
I would suspect that you don't have the ignition switch in the on position when trying to start the bike.
There is no need to disconnect the ignition switch wiring to remove the inner fairing, and the wiring that needs to be remove to perform this task is under the fairing, you only need to unplug the wires from the instruments and feed the wiring harness through the hole that is in the inner fairing.
All wiring under the speed/tach nacel doesn't need to be removed either they only need to be disconnected.
The bike should and will start with all these wires disconnected the only thing that will happen is you will get some DTC popping up but you just need to clear them when you have the bike back together.
Yeah the light still blinks. I'm thinking the same, but could I have messed it up if it can spin 360? It clicks each time, indicating it's in a position.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah the light still blinks. I'm thinking the same, but could I have messed it up if it can spin 360? It clicks each time, indicating it's in a position.
I had this issue attempting to spin the switch without all the parts on the bike... You can get it back; however I'd wait until you have the bezel and the rings on it first. It's very precise. The only think is that I'm worried about the 360 spin; the switch could be bad now.. :serious:

-G

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had this issue attempting to spin the switch without all the parts on the bike... You can get it back; however I'd wait until you have the bezel and the rings on it first. It's very precise. The only think is that I'm worried about the 360 spin; the switch could be bad now.. :serious:

-G
Yeah I'm thinking once I get all my parts back I should be good. I didn't force the switch to turn 360, it turned just as easy as if I was turning it on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
had similar problem with mine, it was ignition switch, but I sprayed ant seize compound in it, guess it got on the contacts, cleaned it with electronic cleaner now it works.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking once I get all my parts back I should be good. I didn't force the switch to turn 360, it turned just as easy as if I was turning it on.
I want to also mention that I had issues getting the switch back to normal.. Took a few turns and such, but it came back! So don't loose hope! :nerd:

-G

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
had similar problem with mine, it was ignition switch, but I sprayed ant seize compound in it, guess it got on the contacts, cleaned it with electronic cleaner now it works.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I was looking at my fuses and figured I could probably clean them.

I want to also mention that I had issues getting the switch back to normal.. Took a few turns and such, but it came back! So don't loose hope! :nerd:

-G
I'm not giving up, lol. Maybe I'm just getting annoyed everyone is riding in Europe but me because I jumped in to a few projects.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
The switch can spin 360 without hurting it. You may be just spinning the lock mechanism and not the ignition switch. Look inside the switch bore and see if the 2 mechanisms are inline and the screwdriver or other tool you are using can go all the way down the bore. Once the tool is inserted correctly it should work OK.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts