Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed some unusual wear on my rear tire. It's a Michelin Comm II with about 14,000 miles on it. I have a 2-1 pipe and carry more weight in the right saddle bag than the left. So I would think the wear would be more on the right side but it isn't. I've done very little research and have come up with only a few ideas.

One was the weight distribution which I don't think is the reason.

The second was that roads are made with a crown in the center for water run off. This causing the bike to have more friction on the left side. Again I don't agree with this theory.

Lastly that left hand turns are generally taken at higher speeds. Not counting twisties right hand turns are generally tighter. This is the only one the half ass makes sense to me. I do believe I take left hand turns more aggressively. I also have the pipe hanging on the right side where I might not lean as much.

Anyway has anyone seen this kind of wear. Any thoughts as to a cause. I will be replacing the rear with another Michelin Comm II. It rode very well and I think the milage was good too. Wondering how much more I could've gotten had it worn evenly.

BTW I regularly check the air pressure so that's not the cause.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think the crown in the road makes a difference, although that is a lot of wear on the left side. You're always leaning the bike into the crown to remain vertical. The few trikes that I've ridden made me feel like I was riding on a tilt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow I've never seen that... I've gone through several CII's and they've all worn normally. I'm no expert, but am thinking maybe the rear tire was not aligned properly... but that's just a wild guess with no basis of knowledge whatsoever.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I think it wore down faster due to the turn theory. Either that or someone been riding on a circular racetrack.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm leaning towards the misalignment theory as well. How does she track at speed? does she lean towards the left or right. Very few bikes I've ridden over the years track true.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Didn't say if the previous tire "did"? Tracking wise--ride with no hands?

Could (to me) just be your throttle is on the right;)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've haven't noticed anything different. I ran 2 sets of Metzlers before this and was only getting about 10k miles. I ran the Dunlops before those. I can take my hands off the bars and the bike runs true.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think there was an article in either Cycle World or Rider magazine that addressed that issue. Possibly you could find it if you can search their archives. Google might do it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think there was an article in either Cycle World or Rider magazine that addressed that issue. Possibly you could find it if you can search their archives. Google might do it.
Thanks. I will try searching for the article.

That is crazy. I've never seen a tire like that. It's easy to blame the lefty theory. Keep us informed if you ever figure it out. Good luck.
Will do

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think it's the California sunshine and smog. Too much riding in smoggy Ca weather can have that effect on rubber parts.

I had the same issue on my kids Big Wheel back in the day.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I've been analyzing the tires on my touring bikes for years (cause 2-up and $$ for em), as I'm sure others with >lotsamile. The comII looks similar to vemons an 888's where cupping is hard as hell to tell and center wear is high due to profile and then there's the compound which has become ever more uniformed in production, but at what methods (Germany, brazil, mexico, Canada...), where is there a wear bar? 14k, it was time. Some tires seem to accelerate wear nearing EOL, just like, well people do

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it's the California sunshine and smog. Too much riding in smoggy Ca weather can have that effect on rubber parts.

I had the same issue on my kids Big Wheel back in the day.
I knew I shouldn't have mention this thread to you lol. Yes Bill ... Drifting through the smoggy Canyons. Thanks for the comments everyone. They're giving me different ideas.

This tire was put on before I went to SWIV. The trip was about 8k round trip. Most of the remaining 6k are surface streets to and from work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts