Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I want to switch handlebars to the 'Reduced Reach' on my 2011 FLTRU - I called a local dealership, and they quoted parts & 8 hours of labor, $1470. They said I would need to change out all cables, and the ABS makes a big difference. This can't be right, can it?

Can anyone tell me if I need all this work? This seems unusually high.

Thanks! :D I appreciate it!

Yes, that was ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY DOLLARS...

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
Find a friend to help you, and spend an afternoon and get it done. A lot of dealers charge 8 hrs labor, but it doesn't take that long, and you shouldn't need anymore cables. ....... and why in the world would you have to change anything with the ABS. :what:

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Get ahold of Pete or Chuck @ DA Performance. They could hook you up. They about an hour from you. Burbank Il.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
8 hours sounds about right but you don't need cables for those bars and the abs isn't affected $900 tops I would think. Not everyone has hours to dick around with a bike or even a desire to. I prefer to drop off, find something else to do, come back, pay and ride. Try to find another dealer or a well recommended independent shop and see if they are more competitively priced.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's CRAZY! My independent shop here in So Cal quoted me less than $1400 for 14" Carlini Pist apes, ABS lines, clutch cable, internal wiring with new Avon grips and new levers.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I put reduced reach on my 09 RG Custom (I can not imagine the install would be different for your bike) and ordered the bars from PC Pain on this site. I also ordered the extended wiring for the bars just to make it easier and used the stock cabling with no issues. I did let the dealer do the install for 2 hours labor, about $177.00.

·
Registered
316 Posts
No reason for that. Did you request internal wiring? Do you also have heated grips to deal with? Either there's more to this story or your dealer doesn't really want to do the job.

If you don't want internally wired bars, swap should take about 2 hours. If you do want them internally wired, it will take additional time to disassemble the connectors, feed through the bars and reassemble connectors. It is a PITA, but worth it in my opinion. I'd say 6 hours assuming no heated grips. If the bars are shorter or close in length, should be no change in electrical cables. Only thing I can think about with ABS is if you needed new brake lines due to placement of new bars. If so, they need to bleed the brake lines using ABS activation (unnecessary in my opinion, presuming you're careful).

Ask them for a detailed breakdown of costs. What cables they're ordering, etc.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
590 Posts
My dealer wanted 8 to 10 hours here in Boston too install 12 " kst outlaws on my 15 RGS. I told him to go shit in his hat.called my neighbor a six pack of beer and 3 hour done.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yeah, it's a 2-3 hour install the first time and that internally wiring Yaffe Monkey bars. It took close to 2 1/2 hours for me to get them all done. The Can-Bus system should be even easier. Not as many wires. By the way, my local HD shop charges 4.5 hours to internally wire Yaffes or any other aftermarket bars.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
HD service manual for your year/model bike $60 + 6 pack of beer $7 + a few hours of your time and your handlebars are installed so make this a DIY project. ;)
I personally like the wires on my handlebars externally wired, the internally wired handlebars look nice but they are a PIA if your wiring or switches need repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a 'off duty' neighborhood HD Mechanic to do it for $150 + Bars. Getting this done tonight! The Dealer did quote me for internal wiring, some new braided cables and labor. No heated grips. I don't want to even tell you guys what they quoted me to install the lower fairing speakers, but it included purchasing all boom! audio speakers & amp. :mad:

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Glad you found the "off duty" mechanic to help you out. All the guys in my independent shop defected from an HD dealership here in town. Funny how their attitude is different when they don't have corporate breathing down their neck to push Harley products. Enjoy the new bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New bars are sweet! But....THROTTLE PROBLEMS!!!!!

So about 175 from home my Road Glide starts fartin' and putting. Ran bad all the way home. I threw a code twice (Engine Light). I thought it was the 91 Octane Fuel & letting the RG run to 23 miles til empty.... I sent a text to the Mechanic and he told me to stop over. It's a long way from Ottawa, IL to Lake Zurich. He ran the code and said it was a 'bad idle'. He took apart the bars and checked the throttle sensor & greased them diodes - it started to run fine. Halfway home, the RG starts fartin' again. Read Ironmark's sticky on the subject and we're gonna start from there. He is going to replace the Master Plug & work from there. I know this probably doesn't belong here, but I wanted to vent.

I'm riding C2C, so I need this problem sorted!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts