Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grin:
Riders,
First off for the uninitiated, on my first threat, I wrote that I have blown 5 pairs of boom audio speakers. I was told to check out the JBL GT 0638 speakers. So I ordered them on Monday and they arrived two days later. Did my research and away we go. Gotten them all in a did a sound check. OMFG, these speakers are the shiznit, they blew me away. I am very impressed with these things. All though I am tryna learn what the button thing in the middle is. Installation was too easy. I used the weather stripping that came with them. For $50, I think JBL. Has no clue as to what they are selling. These things rock, gonna put them in the fairing asap. Any ?, feel free:laugh:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The little button between the tweeter and midrange drivers enables you to minimize the high frequency output by -3dB.

Button depressed is -3dB (according to specs.)
Button up is 0dB (no change)

Play with it and see which one you like best. I've got mine at 0dB.

Good speakers for the price for sure. Great specs. but not sure they truly live up to the quoted specs.

92dB sensitivity is good and frequency range from 50Hz to 21kHz isn't bad for a pair of 3 ways. Mid-base, mid-range and highs are great, just not capable of pushing out the lower frequencies that would give you some bump and thump.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
:grin:
Riders,
First off for the uninitiated, on my first threat, I wrote that I have blown 5 pairs of boom audio speakers. I was told to check out the JBL GT 0638 speakers. So I ordered them on Monday and they arrived two days later. Did my research and away we go. Gotten them all in a did a sound check. OMFG, these speakers are the shiznit, they blew me away. I am very impressed with these things. All though I am tryna learn what the button thing in the middle is. Installation was too easy. I used the weather stripping that came with them. For $50, I think JBL. Has no clue as to what they are selling. These things rock, gonna put them in the fairing asap. Any ?, feel free:laugh:
These speakers do rock and that's why I posted The original thread.
Seriously I don't think you're going to find a better set of speakers for under $100 Or even $200 for that matter. Like I stated before going down the highway at 70 miles an hour plus I can hear my front speakers along with my 14 inch sport flare windshield Without any issue. Very glad to here that you like the JBL's
Swomack

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These speakers do rock and that's why I posted The original thread.
Seriously I don't think you're going to find a better set of speakers for under $100 Or even $200 for that matter. Like I stated before going down the highway at 70 miles an hour plus I can hear my front speakers along with my 14 inch sport flare windshield Without any issue. Very glad to here that you like the JBL's
Swomack
Thanks Swo,
Now I guess I gotta put them up front, but gotta watch the video of how to pull nose off. By the way, I didn't use any of the rings that came with the speakers, they screwed right in place against the vinyl as the eom did. I used the weather strips tho. Will keep an eye out for them, for the first couple of miles.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Thanks Swo,
Now I guess I gotta put them up front, but gotta watch the video of how to pull nose off. By the way, I didn't use any of the rings that came with the speakers, they screwed right in place against the vinyl as the eom did. I used the weather strips tho. Will keep an eye out for them, for the first couple of miles.
You don't need to pull the nose off to remove & install the new speakers for the front fairing brother. Remove the stock grills, remove the stock front speakers and replace with the new JBL's. That's it, good to go.
Swomack

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx guys,
So I take it that it's no problem to run 4 of these, but for some reason the front oem sound good now....lol. Did a test ride and was impressed again. At 70 & 80 I can hear music with no problem. What's the deal with the stock speakers, is there a reason they don't have a magnet? Or am I tripping. So cheaply made, from Japan a 20 something thousand dollar bike with speakers you can get at a 711....lol just jiving. Some songs I had to turn music down. Love them

Diabetic biker.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Over the weekend I finished the installation of my new AMP (Cerwin-Vega B2) to compliment the JBL GTO638 speakers that I installed the first week I bought the bike.

All I can say is Wow. AMP install was ALOT of hard work, especially fitment in the shark nose, but it was well worth it.

AMP gain was set using a digital multimeter and the crossover frequency set by ear. The GTO638 speakers don't really play well with frequencies below 100hz at high power input and high volume. My input voltage to the speakers is approximately 31.62v and crossover is set at 120Hz (best guess).

This allows for almost uncomfortable volume levels when the bike is running.

The GTO638 speakers are rated 50Hz-21,000Hz at 60W RMS and that is probably a pretty fair and accurate rating. Just be advised that if you want high volume when jamming down the highway at 80mph you will probably want to set your crossover frequency somewhere above 80Hz minimum.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Over the weekend I finished the installation of my new AMP (Cerwin-Vega B2) to compliment the JBL GTO638 speakers that I installed the first week I bought the bike.

All I can say is Wow. AMP install was ALOT of hard work, especially fitment in the shark nose, but it was well worth it.

AMP gain was set using a digital multimeter and the crossover frequency set by ear. The GTO638 speakers don't really play well with frequencies below 100hz at high power input and high volume. My input voltage to the speakers is approximately 31.62v and crossover is set at 120Hz (best guess).

This allows for almost uncomfortable volume levels when the bike is running.

The GTO638 speakers are rated 50Hz-21,000Hz at 60W RMS and that is probably a pretty fair and accurate rating. Just be advised that if you want high volume when jamming down the highway at 80mph you will probably want to set your crossover frequency somewhere above 80Hz minimum.
Good to know
Thanks for posting this information.
Swomack

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Looking for a more affordable 4 channel amp as I am planning to install lower fairings and speakers (Hogpro's is $460ish). Anyone have a good 4 channel amp setup that is on the "easy" side to install on the 2015s?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Looking for a more affordable 4 channel amp as I am planning to install lower fairings and speakers (Hogpro's is $460ish). Anyone have a good 4 channel amp setup that is on the "easy" side to install on the 2015s?
A lot of peeps including me are liking the Sound stream pn4. 520

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thanks brother, I'll have to check them out. Idk how, but will be tackling it at some point. lol Expect alot of questions!! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've got the Soundstream pn4.520 amp & JBL GTO638 speakers, no flash or line leveler. Running 2 channels. Sounds great. $106 for the amp, $59 for the speakers, plus wire, connectors, etc. Great bang for the buck!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I've got the Soundstream pn4.520 amp & JBL GTO638 speakers, no flash or line leveler. Running 2 channels. Sounds great. $106 for the amp, $59 for the speakers, plus wire, connectors, etc. Great bang for the buck!
What kind wire and connectors will I need?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
What kind wire and connectors will I need?
Just some 16 awg speaker wire and female speaker connectors if your going to use the GTO's. About 3'feet of red and black power cable and a small piece of 20awg hook up wire for the remote wire.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I ran 8 awg back to the battery with an in line fuse. 8 awg ground to the top crash bar bolt. It was a pain for me to figure out. Instructions are microscopic & it was my 1st amp install. It isn't too bad once you figure out what the heck you're doing. I left the tank on, and ran the power wire under the console. My driving light wires run there also.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I may save myself the headache and get a hogtunes amp. I have the speakers already. :wink: That way if I do decide to go all out with speaker saddle bag lids, I can do it all with this amp and expand...guess it's worth paying a little more for everything (amp, wire kit, mount) specifically made and prepped for this specific bike.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Other than the fuse holder and ring terminals for the battery I didn't use any other connectors on mine. Everything is soldered and shrink tubed :)

If you don't want to cut into the factory harness definitely go with an aftermarket wiring harness and save yourself the hassle of cutting stock wires. I've seen that a lot of the bike specific brand amps have full install kits available that make the process as painless as possible.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I may save myself the headache and get a hogtunes amp. I have the speakers already. :wink: That way if I do decide to go all out with speaker saddle bag lids, I can do it all with this amp and expand...guess it's worth paying a little more for everything (amp, wire kit, mount) specifically made and prepped for this specific bike.
You pay A LOT MORE.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts