Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I would give the OB another chance (3 times a charm) any way this is the info I got from him when I called him today. The jugs were just fine he only needed to take off a .005 to clean up the jugs ( personally I don't care for that). He also wants my HD extended warranty card to warranty one of my cam chain tensioners. Now the OB put new cams in my bike and he got the timing off and the bike was never ridden it was only on the dyno at the OB shop and the HD dealer so why would a builder put new cams in and install worn cam chain tensioners. Sound to me that the OB want to use my ESP to cover some of his cost. I should also demand new cylinders because I did not pay for a build that is .0105 over I payed for a build that is .010 over.

·
Registered
830 Posts
you are a braver man than me...

·
Administrator
12,511 Posts
:eek: If your bike is back together and running you need to see how fast it will go and get away from there. We need to have a thread of business not to use, that shop would be at the top of the list.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get a truck and go pick it up!! U are making the worst mistake yet! If I were your friend I would be kicking your ass all the way to go get the damned bike and fix it myself, or take it to HD at this point.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Dude, I have to agree with everyone else and say take it somewhere else.
Hopefully it will all work out whatever you choose!

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Doesn't sound good. I knew of a dude like that down in Fl. You cant get away fast enough.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the bike is suppose to be done today so we will see how it goes. The 1/2 a thousandths over is probably within ring wear specs so I will see how the bike runs. I will do a compression test when I get the bike back and then I will put a couple hundred miles on the bike and do a compression test and that will tell me a lot. I still think he wants to hit up my extended warranty to cover some of his cost and I am not sure that I want to let him do it.

·
Administrator
12,511 Posts
He ought to be giving you money back instead of being worried about your warranty. The builder needs to suck up the loss, it was his mistakes that caused the problem, why should he be paid for them? If it's within your power, the warranty shouldn't be used, IMO.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You say he "only .005" " to clean up the bores... you sure that's right or maybe that you meant .0005" (5 ten thousandths)?

Do you know the actual bore size? Be aware that .005" is service wear limit and the ring fit is going to be looser out of the gate and only get looser. New piston to bore fit should be about .0015-.0025. Dig out your manual or the instruction sheet that came with the pistons.

I'm sure it'll run fine, but you certainly won't get 100k out of that top end... not that you won't need a new crank long before that anyway... ;-)

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am assuming that he only needed to run a ball hone through the cylinders just to burnish the cylinder wall enough so the new rings will seat properly so from what I understand the cylinder walls should mic out at .0105 but I don't really know what it mics out at and I can only assume he is giving me the right info.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I am assuming that he only needed to run a ball hone through the cylinders just to burnish the cylinder wall enough so the new rings will seat properly so from what I understand the cylinder walls should mic out at .0105 but I don't really know what it mics out at and I can only assume he is giving me the right info.
You said .005" in your first post... so I guess you're now saying that was incorrect - I presume. because there's a huge difference between 0.0105" and 0.015"

I think the only thing you can safely assume is that he wants you out of his life... sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The word i hate to hear in this thread is ...your assuming... i wouldn't assume nothing with this clown

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You said .005" in your first post... so I guess you're now saying that was incorrect - I presume. because there's a huge difference between 0.0105" and 0.015"

I think the only thing you can safely assume is that he wants you out of his life... sooner than later.
I sure did say .005 but at the end of the same post I put the correct figure in at .0105. The is a big difference between 5 thousandths and 1/2 of a thousandths when it comes to a engine, from what I understand the .0105 should be correct.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts