Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the bike towed into the Grand Rapids HD dealership on Monday. Told them to go ahead and give it the 50,000 mile service after they find and fix the cause of the leak and to tighten up the handle bar bushings. Was quoted a price of $791! Yesterday the service manager calls and tells me that after the service tech checked out the bike the cost of repairs to fix everything could be thousands of dollars!!!! I was told it appears the rocker boxes were leaking as both the inner and outer primary and that I probably needed to replace the cam tensioners and the rear brakes and tire because there was oil spray all over them, etc., etc.
He ended by telling me I might want to consider trading the bike in on a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking at an additional $2500 on top of the $791 and that was before they even found out what actually caused the leak because they wouldn't be able to determine that until they got "into" the engine. The two things that got me upset was that he said it appears the rocker boxes and inner and outer primary were leaking. Of course it does, 2 qts. of oil sprayed out of the breathers at 70 mph for 40 miles! WTF? I just need to get the bike home and try and fine someone I can trust. BTW, dealership is 80 miles from home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I stated in the original thread, the spray was not because I had too much oil in the crank case because I had driven over 2700 miles since my last oil change with no leakages prior to last Friday's episode.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
You just might be up there with Kyle's 4,000 dollar leaker.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I would check the crankcase breather hoses they may be cracked from heat and age.
Take the bike home and clean it real good and see if you can spot the oil leak by riding the bike slow for a short time. If you are loosing that much oil the area the leak is coming from should be easy to spot.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There was a tech bulletin out on a procedure that drilled a couple of holes in the heads to allow the oil to drain back down into the sump quicker. I had that done about 20k ago and while I get the occasional drip, its nothing like it was before. There are also updated breather covers that should be installed.

BG

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I love dealer quotes like that. I am surprised they didn't try to sell a new paint job citing that the oil was impossible to get off all of the parts. It sounds like you need a buddy who can help you get this figured out and I don't mean the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts