Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and couldn't find a direct answer.
Over the winter I installed a pbr300x2 and a pair of infinity 62.11i with the magic box in my 2015 RGS.

Sound is much improved over factory. Louder, cleaner, and can be heard at highway speeds with the factory windshield.

I'm considering picking up a pair of Hertz HCX165's to replace the infinity's.
My only issues with the infinitys are when I drive them hard playing certain types of music. Hard rock and heavy metal with gritty mids heavy hitting mids causes them to break up. Classic rock, Zepplin, Floyd, etc... sounds great.

Based on reviews I've seen the HCX 165's maintain clarity when driven hard.

Has anyone made this swap? Worth the $? Am I going to gain riding clarity or just sound better sitting in the parking lot?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't hook them up, Be careful as they hit inside the fairing, you will have to use a dremel or similar tool to grind out the inner plastic behind the speaker to get it to fit. Im in the Process of trying to figure out what speaker fits with out having to dremel the plastic out. Looking at Focal 165 AC, PC or JL C3 650. Good Luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've just installed a Rockford Fostgate T400X2ad amplifier with the Hertz HCX 165 this past weekend. You will have to dremel a clearance hole for the magnet. It works best if you remove the enclosure from the bike to work on it. I made a clearance hole, then used some sheet plastic that can be heat formed. Cut the sheet plastic a 30% larger than the hole, place it on the inside of the enclosure, place the speaker in opening, heat the plastic and then secure the speaker into it's final position. The speaker magnet will form the plastic for you. I also had to mount the Hertz upside down (with the logo at the top) to allow for more room to make the speaker connections.

I can't compare against the 62.11i, but I've listened to a mix of punk rock and metal today. At 70mph with a 3/4 helmet, I can hear clearly with no distortion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
mray81 I would be interested in the 62.11's if you want to sell them. I have the boom stage 1 on my 15 RGS and want to see how much better the 62.11i's would sound.

·
Registered
21 Posts
DE-Glide do you have any photos of the install ? I don't mind doing some Dremel work, just don't want to guess and Dremel out all sorts of stuff for no reason. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't, but I will try and take some over the weekend. It really is a trial and error process. Take off the speaker enclosure from the bike, start placing the speaker in it's opening, and mark where it starts making contact with the enclosure. Dremel out a small area, try again, etc., etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. Thank you. Good to talk to someone that has actually done this in a 15 w the Hertz. Where did you get the heat form plastic ? Did you sit the plastic inside the apeaker enclosure on the back side of the speaker or on the back side on the enclosure ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended getting a set of the Hybrid Audio Imagine series 6.5's due to having a local dealer and being able to hear them in person. Sound is substantially louder and cleaner than the infinity's. I did however have to cut the speaker pods for clearance. In the next week or so I'm going to pick up some poly fill and see how that impacts the sound.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I ended getting a set of the Hybrid Audio Imagine series 6.5's due to having a local dealer and being able to hear them in person. Sound is substantially louder and cleaner than the infinity's. I did however have to cut the speaker pods for clearance. In the next week or so I'm going to pick up some poly fill and see how that impacts the sound.
"
You will like the HAT's, I just installed a set of the 6.5" Clarus Series in my 11 Ultra and they are a lot better than the Hertz I had. Very loud and clean.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where abouts are you located in MI bud?? I'd like to hear those and if the infinity speakers are still around maybe buy them :):)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Installed a pbr 300x2 and Fosgate 6.5 in fairing, had to make a hole for magnets,but holy shizz is sound improved. Used cycle sounds adapters..clear up to 90mph in 40 mph crosswinds, with stock windshield.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where abouts are you located in MI bud?? I'd like to hear those and if the infinity speakers are still around maybe buy them :):)
I'm in Rochester, I'd be more than happy to meet up and let you hear them. I already had an offer on the 62.11 but I noticed one of them was starting to buzz and sound bad the day I took them out. Dont think anyone will be wanting them. PM me and we will work out a time to meet up. I'm headed to the Dragon this weekend but I'll be back next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts