Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum!!

I was hoping for some help, I have quickly learned that audio options and just as hard as handlebars because of the flood of information and huge product pool.

So what I have now is a 2012 Road Glide Custom, I have the Hog Tunes REV 70.2 set up in it now and the gauge mount tweeter pod. The speakers are 5x7s and i think the amp is 70 Watts per channel.

It was obviously a huge upgrade off stock but now 2 years later I have found that I need a better set up. So my question is am I better off going with a kit or piecing it together? I like the RF RF300x4-SS set up with Yaffie and putting the extra set on the inside of the faring tunnel and keeping my tweeter pod.

I also want to make sure that it is a water proof (as much as possible) because I get hung out in the rain fairly often.

I appreciate the feed back and hope I am not the 300th person to ask this same question

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I love my Hawg Wired RS400 amp. It rocks.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
there are many variables, the main thing is that the 70x2 amp is a little small in power, PBR300x2 is the least expensive replacement, then the hawg wired CS, and the hawg wired RS

it is like windshields and handlebars

I like the rockford 2 channel PBR300x2 because it has the "punch" feature or PEQ, it doesn't do much, but enables simple easy tone control on the fly, I have two, near the ACC, one sweetens treble, the other sweetens full range in the lids, or bass

since you have the 5.7 spacers, perhaps a set of HAT i57-2 speakers would fit. but $350 a pop, but component and handle piles of juice.

I know there is much more bass with the ovals v. the rounds.

re: inner fairing mount, I have that, but the speakers have to be matched somewhat to get the full effect, the sound output lever of the weakest speaker is duplicated when you pair speakers.

not sure about the tweeter pod breakout, have never wanted more treble, usually less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I talked with Pete at SOund Customz and told me his systems are the greatest but also gave me some emails of guys in my area running similar systems.

But I was kind of thing about this set up-

Has anyone had any experience with the Hawg Wired DX 5x7" Components?

Since I already Have the adapters for the 5x7 I thought I would go with those, the DX 5.25" on the inner faring, and a PBR 300x4 for an amp.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
One thing I learned along time ago with audio and software. Best of bread (i.e. components from various manufacturers) will give you the best quality but is the hardest to install. A complete system is easier to install but you will not really get the best of each component. Some brands have great speakers but their amps suck and visa versa. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
DA PERFORMANCE are close to you. They are around Chicago. He has some of the loudest andcleanest stereos. Check em out on You Tube or give Pete a call. They have a website: Da Performance. He runs Hertz speakers and JL Audio amps. They are a custom bagger shop.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Rock it LOUD, Rock it distortion free, crisp and clean at 90+. Don't skimp! :cool: Good luck!

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Hawg Wired Rules as far as I'm concerned.
I have their 6 Pack, HUA360 Radio Adapter, DX Series 5x7 speaker lid speakers and their RC-Link Amplifier Remote Control and I'm very happy with all.
If interested check www.hawg-wired.com or call them at (510)894-2999 and ask for Mike or Justin. They're great guys and will help you out in any way they can.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
One thing I learned along time ago with audio and software. Best of bread (i.e. components from various manufacturers) will give you the best quality but is the hardest to install. A complete system is easier to install but you will not really get the best of each component. Some brands have great speakers but their amps suck and visa versa. IMHO.
+1

Figure out how much you want to spend, what type of music you primarily listen to, how much bag space you are willing to give up, can you install or will you need a pro, how much will you need the top end(loud and clear at 90+)?

Every Site out there has the best products and you'll find a thousand different opinions on here. A few names will pop up continuously-Hawg wired, Rockford fosgate, focal, jl audio. Very rarely boom, or hogtunes when highway speed jamming out is the objective. But like I said, ask yourself those questions and read the experiences on here. Those two things will save you money redoing it later. Ask me how I know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've been really happy with my J&M setup;

Rokker XTs in the fairing and vented lowers, Rokker 500w 4 ch amp mounted in the fairing, HK head unit with f/r pre amp outs, rear aux, switched headphone jack by Iron Cross Audio.

Both J&M and Iron Cross Audio are GREAT to deal with!!!

"The Ball & Chain" ( bsr ) can hear the music crystal clear at 90+

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked with Pete at DA Customs here in the Chicago area.

His recommendation (while keeping it all in the faring) are to run either 4 Hertz ECX165.5 or run The HSK165XL component system.

It was about $550 for the ECXs and about $620 for the Hi Energys

The only part about the setup I didn't like is he wants to run the amp through the bag and I'd much rather keep it in the faring.

Ideas?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have to 2nd the remarks about Pete at Soundz Customz... He does great work & backs it up like nobody I've ever worked with before. I had him install a system in the fairing I installed in my Heritage when I had that & I must say that it rocked.. Also, if you know your going to be at a major bike event, you can talk to Pete ahead of time and he will install everything for you at no additional charge. He will be doing my 2013 RGC the spring of 2014 & I can't wait for that upgrade... Plus, it will all be inside the fairing & installed the right way..
Whatever you decide, I hope you get the quality of sound your after, good luck!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts