Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be tearing down an '05 RG to paint and make some minor modifications. At this time I would like to upgrade the stock system. I want to keep the same footprint but know that I upgraded. My goal is better sound and my IPod Nano being in dash and having the controls as simple as stock. Never had much luck with the radio so I am not sweating that and I don't really care about CD if I have my IPod. If I can get what I want w/o an amp all the better.
Any suggestions on spending my money???

·
Registered
324 Posts
Look into biketronics for radio kits or just about any marine radio, I would possible upgrade to the 6.5 inch speakers for a little more bass and better sound from a larger speaker.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Simple: J&M is a sponsor here and gives discount offers all the time.

If you want to go without an amp, J&M Performance series 7.25" speakers. They simply replace your stock speakers, plug & play. I am happy with mine. I also installed the inside fairing sound pads.

If you want a very noticeable difference, get the ROKKER series kit with the amp and fairing sound pads.

Once you get the right wind management on your bike and wear custom molded earplugs... you may not feel the need to upgrade. I was able to hear my stock system very clearly at 80mph+ speeds when wearing earplugs, you'd be surprised what a difference these small changes can make.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I added the rokker 7.25 kit to my fairing,and with the new windshield,I'm happy and see no need for anything but maybe matching rear speakers for my wife.
I've been very impressed by the sound of the rokker speakers,and it wasn't that much money.Never going to get any bass anyway,because of the physics.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I used the Yaffe Rockford Fosgate System. 4- 6.5" speakers 2 of which are cut into the side fairing and 300 watt amp that also neatly mounts inside the fairing. very loud but not much bass. Can easily hear over 100 mph over loud exhaust

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hopefully final selection

After hours, alright many many minutes on line this is what I have come up with to purchase to upgrade my 2005 road glide’s audio. I believe they changed a bunch in the 06 model year. Anyway, here it is:
Sony DSX-MS 60 Marine Grade off Amazon @ 129.00
Hawg Wired RX 508-50 RX Series 8 Ohm coaxial speakers @ 129.00 off Hawg Wired
Hawg Wired HSA 470 Harley to Sony Full adapter kit with bezel, mount and harness @ 219.00 off Hawg Wired.
My only concern is the Sony Speaker Impedance is 4-8 Ohms and the Hawg Wired speakers state 8 Ohms. I happen to be one of those fellows that slept through the Ohms and Poems classes while preparing for my state funded GED so it is all Greek to me. I couldn’t find anything saying don’t do it.
So I ask you, where I am going wrong if at all keeping in mind that my goal is to get my IPod in the dash and upgrade the sound a bit while maintaining as much simple hand control as possible. For those of you wondering where the amp is it is in the divorce settlement. So, if you think the amp is a must have I will send you the address where I am accepting donations.
Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a sony head unit and am pleased with it. I have the 310 (not Marine rated). I am told the 310 has a better EQ if that is important.

I would get an amp - Arc audio makes one that is small and would fit nicely in the fairing above your sony. They sell for about $250

http://store.arcaudio.com/p/ks-125-2-bx-mini

Can't help you on the speakers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a sony head unit and am pleased with it. Having the ipod stored in the head unit is great. I never take it out.

I would get an amp - Arc audio makes one that is small and fits nicely in the fairing above your sony. They sell for about $250. I might even get the amp over the speakers if cost was a factor - and update the speakers later with some 6.5" component speakers

http://store.arcaudio.com/p/ks-125-2-bx-mini

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My only concern is the Sony Speaker Impedance is 4-8 Ohms and the Hawg Wired speakers state 8 Ohms. .
No worry on this. You just dont want to use a speaker with a Ohm rating lower that what the radio/amp can handle.
Radio 4 to 8 - speakers 8, you will be fine.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Get a quality amp & speakers w/matching ohms. A Sony, Kenwood or Pioneer headunit & you'll be satisfied. I used the Hawgwired radio kit & the Sidecar Headunit splash guard on my setup. Easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Your Sony unit and the speakers you described will be more than adequate for now. When the ex gets knocked up and remarried and you don't have to pay any more alimony, then upgrade to an amp etc... I feel your pain bro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts