Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m still in the “newbie” stage, recently got a 2019 RGS (my 2nd bike) and looking for opinions on whether or not upgrading the front and/or rear suspension is worth the money? Would love to know what benefits I’ll gain from the upgrade? Thanks to all in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m still in the “newbie” stage, recently got a 2019 RGS (my 2nd bike) and looking for opinions on whether or not upgrading the front and/or rear suspension is worth the money? Would love to know what benefits I’ll gain from the upgrade? Thanks to all in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences!
Definitely worth the money. I went from hating mine to having a fun bike. You going to spend about 2000 bucks for quality parts.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don’t know if the stock suspension on a 19 RG is much different than those on the 15’s but, I will say that the suspension up grade I did on my 15 was the best improvement and money spent of all the upgrades done on my bike. And like most of us, I’ve made a lot of changes and have done a lot of upgrades on my bike. I went with Ohlin front and rear. The ride improved tremendously but, the way the bike handled was the biggest plus for me.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
The 17,18 and 19 front suspension is different from the factory than in the previous years. If you change the rears, you might be surprised how good the front becomes. I have Super Shox in the rear that has performed very well, there are many more options as well that people all speak highly of on this forum. .

Lots of info here if you do a search.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where i live we have really good roads so the stock ride on my 15 is fine actually. The bike handles phenomenally with the stock shocks. With that being said it doesn't ride good where you ride a dirt bike ie rough conditions. My Hammock seat was a huge ride upgrade. It really depends under what conditions you ride on as to make a decision to spend 2k on shocks. If you have bad roads where you live then go all in on the best you can afford

·
Registered
385 Posts
+1 on madmat’s advice. Put any quality coil over or air shock on the rear and I think you will be satisfied with the factory fronts.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don’t know if the stock suspension on a 19 RG is much different than those on the 15’s but, I will say that the suspension up grade I did on my 15 was the best improvement and money spent of all the upgrades done on my bike. And like most of us, I’ve made a lot of changes and have done a lot of upgrades on my bike. I went with Ohlin front and rear. The ride improved tremendously but, the way the bike handled was the biggest plus for me.
15 RG here upgraded to front and rear Ohlins. Great investment

·
Registered
140 Posts
After 1500 miles I upgraded to Ohlin 772 shocks....really makes a difference in how my '18 RG corners as well as smoothing out hwy expansion joints.
H-D cheeped out on the "premium shocks", the left side with the preload adjustment is a shock, the right side is just a spring. There is no damping! The Ohlins (or any decent pair of shocks) will really improve your ride.

Now (16,000 miles) saving pennies to get fork cartridge upgrade.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
after about 7500 miles my rear suspension started feelin shaky in the corners.

my back (L5) was really taking a beating when i hit potholes or dips in the road.

upgraded to 13" Öhlins and my back is really thanking me for it.

it's a shame that these bikes are more "show" than rider comfort.
off the faktry assembly line they look "cool" but that doesn't help your back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi AirFr8 Guy,
I ride a 2018 FLTRX bought last April. Coming from BMW I was a bit disappointed with cornering until I installed Ohlin 772's on the rear end at about 2000 miles, WOW. The bike handles great and now with 16,000 miles I love this bike. I haven't done the forks yet but that is in the cards for the next improvement but right now it doesn't feel like a pressing need.

Reach out to "Smarty" on this site, he shipped the shocks right away and talked me through the installation and set up step by step via phone and "FaceTime" even though he was on vacation. Super knowledgable and great service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ride a 2019 RGS spent less then 2k putting progressive monotones on the front and Ohlin's 772 on the rear. The ride is great and the handling is wonderful. The best money spent on this bike so far, very happy I did it.

Keep it top dead center, good luck. BRO

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ride a 2019 RGS spent less then 2k putting progressive monotones on the front and Ohlin's 772 on the rear. The ride is great and the handling is wonderful. The best money spent on this bike so far, very happy I did it.

Keep it top dead center, good luck. BRO

I have a 2017 and rear The best Ohlins with reservoirs. Buy in the front I ma afraid to change becouse may be more hard: better for handling but not for relaxing confort. How are the Progressive?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had Progressives on my Electra glide and although a vast improvement over stock - I wanted something a little better - still a little rough over potholes and still had some rear wheel steer ( wobble)- some of that has been improved in recent years by the Factory - (better frame and rubber mounting) - My 2009 RG with stock suspension handles better than my 87 Electra Glide with progressives rear and monotubes in front.

·
Registered
315 Posts
On my other bikes I had through the years I've always had it upgrade the rear suspension. And on a few, the forks as well. I was hoping my 19 rgs would not need a rear shock upgrade. Well, I'm underwhelmed to say the least. I'll be doing my due diligence on what ones to get. I've had progressives in the past and they were pretty decent.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Hi AirFr8 Guy,
I ride a 2018 FLTRX bought last April. Coming from BMW I was a bit disappointed with cornering until I installed Ohlin 772's on the rear end at about 2000 miles, WOW. The bike handles great and now with 16,000 miles I love this bike. I haven't done the forks yet but that is in the cards for the next improvement but right now it doesn't feel like a pressing need.

Reach out to "Smarty" on this site, he shipped the shocks right away and talked me through the installation and set up step by step via phone and "FaceTime" even though he was on vacation. Super knowledgable and great service.
Reaching out to SMARTY would be a smart move if your doing shocks.

He's a great guy and he knows his stuff, and is always willing to help out a fellow Roadglider.
@Smarty
Click link above and send him a message.

Swomack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts