Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trading in my custom Street Bob this week and signing papers on a new 2015 Road Glide Special in vivid black. While I am not new to riding, I am new to baggers and I have a few questions before I pull the trigger on new parts.

1) Of course I am doing a Stage 1. Still debating on which air intake to do, but Im probably going simple and clean. What I am having trouble with is deciding between a V&H Pro Pipe and D&D Fat Cat exhaust. Leaning more towards the Pro Pipe due to pice and I hear the Fat Cat can be too loud and really drone on long rides which I am not looking for. Feed back?

1A) Worth doing cams with the Stage 1 or just better to save my dough and focus it on other things..?

2) I want to upgrade the fairing speakers to make the audio better. Since I have listened to only the wind and engine for the last 5 years, I am super excited to have tunes as I ride. I am looking at the HD "stage 1" speaker upgrade since the cost seems reasonable, but if there is something better on the market that is a simple install... Let me know.

3) I have apes on my FXDB because I am a tall guy, so I am upgrading the bars as well. Looking to do 12" Yaffe 2015 OEM bars, but debating about 14"s after reading a lot of posts about people wishing they had gone hiring its messing with my head. I had 16"s on my Dyna and while they looked awesome and comfortable for around town, on long rides they made my hands go to sleep. Any feedback/pics of monkey bars that could help me would be appreciated.

4) Having all the chrome powder coated black. I am very involved at my dealership and know everyone so they are going to cut me a break to help make my dream bike happen. Has anyone done this that could give me a potential number of hours it would take to take all the chrome engine bits off and take the front end apart and put back together..?

Thanks all. Cant wait to get my new scoot.

·
Administrator
2,714 Posts
My thoughts

1a - coming from a 2010 to the 103 in a 2014 I am amazed how much harder it pulls. Ride it with the stage 1 for a bit and then decide if you need / want cams...

2. - I did the whole Hawgwired setup in my 2010 (over 1k in stuff). This time around I think I'll be doing the RockFord Fosgate + Infinity Kappa's... much much cheaper and that setup sounded just as good as my 1k hawgwired setup to me.

3 - 12" apes on my 10, I want apes on my 14 batwing but I dread pulling all those cables. To many buttons / switches with the infotainment stuff for me to monkey with at this time.

4 - save your $ screw the dealer... most of the chrome stuff you will want done are bolt on / bolt off... you can easily take that stuff off and send it to Jetman here on the forums. Excellent work and great service... you will save a metric shit ton of $$ this way. Plus you will have a little more pride in your ride because you did it!

best of luck.
D.

·
Registered
593 Posts
In response to the audio upgrade, don't waste your money on the Boom! Stage 1 stuff. I did on my '15 RGS and will be taking it all back out again in the next month or two to upgrade to better quality. If you're hellbent on the HD Boom! stuff I'm sure I can make you a deal on all of mine (I even have the speaker lids with 5"x7" speakers in the rear. It just doesn't perform like I had hoped.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In response to the audio upgrade, don't waste your money on the Boom! Stage 1 stuff. I did on my '15 RGS and will be taking it all back out again in the next month or two to upgrade to better quality. If you're hellbent on the HD Boom! stuff I'm sure I can make you a deal on all of mine (I even have the speaker lids with 5"x7" speakers in the rear. It just doesn't perform like I had hoped.
I was considering them because I got the dealer to throw them in for free. I am not an audiophile by any means, just want to insure I get some decent sound for my rides since I have never had a stereo on a bike before.

·
Registered
593 Posts
No cost and no labor to you, then it's a good deal. But if you had to pay for it you'd want to invest the money in something better. This is coming from the guy that gets to pay for it twice.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I grabbed the burst floorboards at closing in my black FLTRXS. Well worth the $$, compared to aftermarket.

Cams? Ride it stock and decide. Think hard about how you ride and where you want peak torque. The TTS 222 cam has nice torque curve down low. I went with Woods 555 and love it but now think TTS cam may have been better choice.

Free HD Boom? Well free might be ok, but better aftermarket out there if you got to pay for it.

Black? Yeah black it all out.
Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Car Engine

·
Registered
37 Posts
Audio - Go Hawgwired

Apes, if you had 16's and they were an issue on long rides, try 14's. I went 16's and I wish I would have done 18's and I am 6'4''

Tune - I second you should maybe do pipes and a Stage one and go from there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
3 - 12" apes on my 10, I want apes on my 14 batwing but I dread pulling all those cables. To many buttons / switches with the infotainment stuff for me to monkey with at this time.
Me and a friend just pulled the bars off a 15' RG and all the wires to have the bars powder coated. It is actually a way easier process than the previous models because the plugs are small enough to fit through the bars with out taking them apart. It was a REALLLLY simple job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts