Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I had my dealer fit the BS II amp and front speakers in my 15.

Sounds much better than the stock setup but still way short of good.

I'm looking for advice on upgrading amp or speakers or both, but not all at the same time so it's easier on my wallet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read through the audio section. Lotsa information
There sure is. Haven't found answers to my dilemma, mixing Boom Stage II amp or speaker with other brands.

Specifically, which amp will improve the sound from the BSII speakers?

Which speakers will improve the sound from the BSII speakers?

And finally, will the combination work better together?

I'm in Australia, and any parts I need I will have to order from the US. It's not like I can visit a shop to ask for advice.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I feel for you brother, lots of guys drank the stage II kool aid. Keeping in mind that it won't really get good until the speakers and amp are both changed, since you said cost is an issue I'd do the speakers first and go with BT 6.5 or Arc Moto 602. Save up and go with a line leveler and BT 2180 and you're in great shape. There are other amps that will also work well with both of those speakers, but I'm not sure which ones will fit in the fairing. The 2180 will fit for sure and has lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The problem lies in the HD head unit, it's setup with an EQ curve that is designed to work with the Boom stuff. Other low power amps don't really have an issue with this but as soon as you put real power to it, it's distortion city and sounds like a bag of beaten cats.

The best thing you can do it gut the whole things top to bottom.

It all comes down to how much is your budget. There are a ton of setups and range from as little as $350 US, the sky's the limit though.

I decided to keep my 6.5 Infotainment head unit but I may dump that in the future too... it's a shame because the idea is fantastic with huge screen and GPS, it's the only waterproof option with a double din screen... currently ;)

I started off with a Cerwin Vega B2 and a set of Inifinity Kappa 62.11i's and a Biketronics Line Leveler (the LL helps with that EQ curve I talked about). That system was fine and blows away any Boom setup even with only 2 speakers!

Unfortunately I wanted more lol I am now running a Rockford Fosgate TM400x4ad with Arc Moto 602's and the sound is night and day different. I'll post a couple of videos at the end of this post so you can compare, you can also browse through my channel and see the different combos I've done so far.

I'm still going though, I have a set of Biketronic Titan II's that will be going in the lowers (when they arrive) and I also have a set of Arc Moto 6.2's that I'll be putting in. I'll only be running 4 speakers, just not sure which 4 yet :p

I really wish the MOCO stuff were better, especially for the price you pay for it, but the reality is it's just crap :(

Biketronics offers a RG specific kit, maybe you could sell off the Boom stuff and get it or piece together something.

Good luck my friend, I hope you can find some sort of audio bliss :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45vV2RxbVns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjkrjzmxfiM

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
OK, here is my low $$ solution. I went with a Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4.520D ($106) and a pair of JBL GTO 638 triax speakers ($59)
No flash or line leveler.
There is a long thread with JBL GTO 638 in the header. Near the end are a couple of posts on installation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys and the YouTube links.

Does anyone know if the head unit will need flashing if swap out the BSII speakers. I understand the BSII 4-ch amp uses 2-ch per BSII speaker. How will speaker like Arc 602s connect?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the help guys and the YouTube links.

Does anyone know if the head unit will need flashing if swap out the BSII speakers. I understand the BSII 4-ch amp uses 2-ch per BSII speaker. How will speaker like Arc 602s connect?
I don't know if those Boom speakers are 2 or 4 ohm.

The 602's are 4 ohm and really need a lot of power. I just bridged my amp and am pushing 200w to each now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts