Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get in the wind in either September or early October for about a week. I live in Maryland and want to travel to somewhere I haven't been before. What do you guys think of the Michigan's UP? For this trip I'm looking for a relaxing tour with beautiful scenery. Earlier in the summer I did a more sporting ride to Ohio's Windy 9.

So, here are my questions

Is this trip worthy of a week?
What are your recommendations for towns to stay in, lodging, and dining?
Points of interest?
When does the weather turn so that I can pick the best temperatures to visit?
Should I take a route around Lake Erie and head north, or come in from Canada. Other tips on routes from here to there are welcome.

You all have given me great advice in the past and it was greatly appreciated.

Thanks much
Emil

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I want to get in the wind in either September or early October for about a week. I live in Maryland and want to travel to somewhere I haven't been before. What do you guys think of the Michigan's UP? For this trip I'm looking for a relaxing tour with beautiful scenery. Earlier in the summer I did a more sporting ride to Ohio's Windy 9.

So, here are my questions

Is this trip worthy of a week?
What are your recommendations for towns to stay in, lodging, and dining?
Points of interest?
When does the weather turn so that I can pick the best temperatures to visit?
Should I take a route around Lake Erie and head north, or come in from Canada. Other tips on routes from here to there are welcome.

You all have given me great advice in the past and it was greatly appreciated.

Thanks much
Emil
I went straight up the center or Michigan, over the Mackinaw Bridge and across peninsular. It's not a bad ride. It was a few years ago; I stayed somewhere near Green bay. A week ride? Well that depends on how much you ride a day. On long trips, if it isn't brutally hot, I'll do 750 miles a day so I'd be done sooner than a week. You can also make a stop at the HD museum in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

Copper Harbor on the Keweenaw Peninsula. you don't get anymore upper peninsula than that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went straight up the center or Michigan, over the Mackinaw Bridge and across peninsular. It's not a bad ride. It was a few years ago; I stayed somewhere near Green bay. A week ride? Well that depends on how much you ride a day. On long trips, if it isn't brutally hot, I'll do 750 miles a day so I'd be done sooner than a week. You can also make a stop at the HD museum in Milwaukee.
I'm like you with the mileage. The question had more to do with what there is to do once in the area, not how quickly I can get there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I'm from Michigan and rode the UP many times. If you're coming up though the lower take I75 to Standish and the go up US 23 all the way to the MAC bridge. US 23 is great riding and a lot of small town with motels to stay at and campgrounds if that's your thing. Once to the bridge you can stay either at Mac City or St Ignace and a trip to Mackinaw Island is highly recommended. Head north on I75 to Sault St Marie and then head west on Hwy 28 till you see the sign for Bay Mills and take that to Hwy 123 north to Paradise , you can then go north to Whitefish Point Where there is a real nice maritime museum which has stuff from the Edmund Fritzgerald or you can continue on HWY 123 and head to Hwy 28 and go west to Hwy 77 to Grand Marais which is a nice litte fishing village right on Lake Superior and it has some motel and camping accommodations. Try the Brewery in grand Marais they have great beer and food (try the scotched eggs yum). Then take H58 from Grand Marais to Munising along the picture rocks, H58 is all paved and is listed as one of the top 100 MC roads in America. Then take HWY 94 to Marquette and then take US 2 back to the bridge. Personally I would plan on more then a week for this trip and the first or second week in Sept would be best and take warm weather and rain gear with you. Have a great trip :smile:

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
If you have a passport you may be able to cut off some time by going up through Canada and entering the UP at Sault St Marie.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'm from Michigan and rode the UP many times. If you're coming up though the lower take I75 to Standish and the go up US 23 all the way to the MAC bridge. US 23 is great riding and a lot of small town with motels to stay at and campgrounds if that's your thing. Once to the bridge you can stay either at Mac City or St Ignace and a trip to Mackinaw Island is highly recommended. Head north on I75 to Sault St Marie and then head west on Hwy 28 till you see the sign for Bay Mills and take that to Hwy 123 north to Paradise , you can then go north to Whitefish Point Where there is a real nice maritime museum which has stuff from the Edmund Fritzgerald or you can continue on HWY 123 and head to Hwy 28 and go west to Hwy 77 to Grand Marais which is a nice litte fishing village right on Lake Superior and it has some motel and camping accommodations. Try the Brewery in grand Marais they have great beer and food (try the scotched eggs yum). Then take H58 from Grand Marais to Munising along the picture rocks, H58 is all paved and is listed as one of the top 100 MC roads in America. Then take HWY 94 to Marquette and then take US 2 back to the bridge. Personally I would plan on more then a week for this trip and the first or second week in Sept would be best and take warm weather and rain gear with you. Have a great trip :smile:
Just copied and pasted this to a Word document; a trip I hope to take "someday" Thanks. Have a great trip @Emil1

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. Lots of great information and ideas.

Emil

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tahquanmenon Falls just outside of Sault Ste Marie.
White Fish Point - Ship Wreck Museum
Munising - Picture Rocks
Marquette - great food and bars
Houghton - Great College Town - Ambassador for pizza (best ever) Tostada
Copper Harbor - Absolutely beautiful area. Drive to the park on top of the MT....you will not regret it.
Head down to Ontonagon from there, just a great ride.
Escanaba - nice ride on hwy 2.

This is just a quick tour around the UP. If you want more things to do let me know. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Copper Harbor is a must see,Lake of the clouds is another nice stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts