Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has done this (flipped side mirrors upside down). Any issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Just curious if anyone has done this (flipped side mirrors upside down). Any issues? Thanks.
Yeah

It looks cool when done on Apes but you definitely cannot see as well when they're on the downside of the bars IMO.

I tried it and couldn't put them back to normal fast enough.

But that's just me.

Swomack

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Agreed. I don't like having to put my face in my armpit to see the mirror. I've found that low profile mirrors work really well on my 16" apes (above the bars). They look good, and it puts the mirrors right at eye level. A quick glance to the left or right gives me a good view.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On my roadking I had 18's so I flipped them under and I had to pull my hand off the bars to view the mirror. On my road glide I put 16's on and the mirrors are on top... My mirrors match my bars so it doesnt look bad at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have done it on my last 3 bikes all with 16" apes.

First one was a Heritage so different bike altogether.

The second one was a 2011 Road Glide Custom I bought after market mirrors that were round. The round mirrors seem to work the best for running upside down. This bike was totaled. Almost totaled my girlfriend now wife.

The current is a 2013 RGU and I am running the stock mirrors. The thing that I did was to help is buy the mirror extension that Harley sells. It drops down and out some at an angle, it really helps improve the view.

I don't really have a problem guess I sit differently on the bike than the others are saying..

I think the mirrors on top of apes look like Mickey Mouse Ears .. but....Each their own.

Be safe out there.

Drifter

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It takes a couple minutes to change them around. Give it a shot, you will know within a 1/4 of a mile if you like them or not. I could only see armpits. I went ahead and road the 4 miles around my house to double check then went home and swapped them to the top. I went with low profile Arlen Ness mirrors, they work ok.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep...i did it because when going on night rides with buddies having them where they are supposed to be puts the headlights of bikes right in my eyes. I'd rather not see whats behind me as well if it means seeing in front of me better! I tried it on my 08 street bob, which I never had the moto headlight issue with. And nothing changed except shittier rear view, so I put that one right back. Some think it looks cool and all that, but honestly, they are mirrors. Put em where they work best for you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have them under on mine, it does take a little getting used to looking down instead of up, but I like them. I will also add, the position and seat do make a difference as well. My bars are pretty much straight up, I have seen others that have them pulled back a bit. My tour seat (for when the wife is with me) sits me up about 4" higher and closer to the tank than the Perewitz I usually ride on. I do more arm adjustments for views with tour seat. Stock seat is right about in the middle.

But as above stated, it is a quick fix, so give it a shot, and if you don't like, easy change back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I flipped them on my '15RGS with 12" Yaffe bars with a Mustang seat. I have to lift my elbows for a full mirror clear sight. makes the top of the bars look much cleaner. Plus I added RSD adjustable clutch and brake levers. these were a nice affordable upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the Road 6 14" bars the stock mirrors work fine. That being said my bars are pushed forward quite a bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts

1. I just put 10 inch bars on mine. I really can see fine with stock mirrors, but will prob. change them out later
    It absolutely has to do with the size of the bars. I have 10's on my 18' and I flipped mine and I can see perfect. I split lanes and tend to split a little quick so I always had to worry and every so often with tip a mirror, but now I go right under Super Duties and everything, no sweat. When on top, if it even looked close, a quick tap of the front brake and it dove right under, now I never worry about it...🤟

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did it on my bike with 14" Yaffe bars. I like it a lot. I think it cleans up the look of the bars. Also it does improve the forward view when riding the bike. My arms only get in the way when they are not on the bars, but when I am driving in traffic I always have both hands on the grips so seeing behind me is never an issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I find it funny that some say the view is bad, I can see everything just fine with mirrors under my 14" bars.
My first bike was a SG with 14 twin peaks and the factory mirrors in the fairing worked perfectly for me.
It is no different, all in your head, I have an overlapping view behind me and berm to berm on the roadway.
I can't think of any potential issue you would have, you either like it or you don't, that is all.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah

It looks cool when done on Apes but you definitely cannot see as well when they're on the downside of the bars IMO.

I tried it and couldn't put them back to normal fast enough.

But that's just me.

Swomack

I had the same impression when I tried my mirrors flipped to the bottom. On top of that, drivers in this part drive rather spirited and, well, like @ssholes most of the time cutting in front of you and then having to nail their brakes; I felt that the extra split second it takes to look down under my arms, with my eyes off the road in front of me, was reaction time that I feel isn't worth 'the look'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts