Road Glide banner

US HWY 191 Run

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hawk06Glide 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy again friends of the wind!!

In my previous post about my trip through Idaho and Montana, I had mentioned that I had a bad habit of spending time on google maps creating different routes through some country that looks like it is worth riding. We here is another trip. Haven't completed this one yet! I think maybe I will start making a series here and create some routes people may enjoy and try to make interesting reads. That way us northerners can really wallow in our PMS(Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) and cabin fever.

This trip is specific to HWY 191. HWY 191 spans +/-1700 mi from Canada to Mexico traversing, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona. I would plan on starting in Montana and riding south. But it is Merica' and you can do whatever you please. I've broken it out into 7 days. First two days are longer days for me as I would be riding out of Wyoming north to reach Morgan, MT while days four through seven are easy 250-300 mi days. I chose campgrounds(CG) as places to spend the night and ending at what is apparently the historic Gadsden Hotel in Douglas, AZ as a treat. Let the daydream begin!

Day 1: Reaching the head of 191 in Morgan, MT. Take a gander at the US/Canada Border, maybe cross from french fries and gravy, maybe not.

Day 2: Begin traveling south from Morgan, MT to Big Sky, MT following 191. During this day, you will cross many "great waters". I say "great waters" as most of the water out here runs from our mountains and gives life to most of the great plains on this side of the continental divide. Thankfully you won't have to ford them as our cowboy counter parts did back in the late 1800's when settling the country. First river is the Milk River, if you're a fan of Lonesome Dove(book or movie) you'll geek out at the idea that our fictitious friends had taken a daunting journey all the way from the Rio Grande in Texas to the Milk River where Captain Woodrow F. Call was satisfied of their travels and set up shop there. This trip maybe reminiscent of such a trip yet hopefully it would be without the hardships our fictitious characters went through. We can go into the similarities between the horseman and the biker, but that can be for another time. Next is the Missouri River, and its famous breaks. Where in the early 1800s, the likes of Lewis and Clark as well as their expedition traveled along while assessing the Louisiana purchase before the masses of pale faces were to come and pervert the wide open spaces. The riding from the Missouri River crossing to our destination in Big Sky will be breathtaking. The rolling prairie and Big Sky start recede as mountains come into view. From Lewiston to Big Timber, you begin to realize why Montana got its name. Passing by the Crazy Mountains is breathtaking, personally one of my favorite mountain ranges. A mountain range rich with Crow Indian history and a vision by Chief Plenty Coups. Probably one of the longest stints of interstate on the entire trip, yet the views do not disappoint. The interstate at this point follows another of the great waters and tributaries of the Missouri, the Yellowstone River until you cross it at Livingston, MT. The last leg of the second day's journey follows one of the three tributaries that join to create the Missouri River; the Gallatin River. I have stayed at the Forest Service(FS) CG at Red Cliff before and this where the 2nd day ends. A total of 397 mi give or take.

Day 3: Beginning at the Red Cliff Campground we continue our travel south towards Yellowstone National Park(YNP). Most people already know this but YNP was the first in the nation and covers an area bigger than almost two states on the east coast. You’ll have to pay to enter into YNP. Upon entering YNP, you will skirt the second of the tributaries of the Missouri River. The third and final tributary is not included in this trip but it deserves the honorable mention. Three rivers join in Three Forks, MT; the Gallatin, the Madison, and the Jefferson Rivers, to create the Missouri River. Google Maps didn't allow me to put the route through the park at this time because it is closed but 191 travels directly through it. You will pass several geyser basins and skirt the might Yellowstone Lake. It is the largest lake above 7000 ft in elevation in North America. During this day, we will cross the continental divide into the Pacific basin. Random thought, I believe Led Zeppelin briefly mentions YNP in their "Immigrant Song" in the lyric, "where the hot springs flow", but interpret it as you will. Here in Wyoming and YNP the headwaters of the mighty Snake River begin. I have seen the Snake River where it was no wider than a creek and is included in the pictures attached. Coming down the divide you will exit YNP and enter Grand Teton National Park. The ride from Moran to Jackson is absolutely stunning. If you haven't seen the Tetons, put it on your bucket list. If you stop in Jackson for lunch be sure to find Pinky G’s Pizza, home of the cheapest pizza per slice and absolutely the best pizza around town. Turning slightly east at Hoback Junction heading towards Pinedale, WY, we depart the Snake River basin and travel into the Green River Basin which is a part of the headwaters of the Colorado River. Here you will be awe struck again by the beauty of the Wind River Mountains. There really isn't much to see between Farson, WY and Rock Springs, WY. Watch for the Antelope! In Rock Springs, a short stint of interstate and you’ll be back onto the 191. We’ll end our day near the Flaming Gorge Dam and Reservoir which is nestled in the foothills of the Uintah Mountains. I chose the Greendale CG, another FS CG. Total of approximately 413 miles.

Part Two coming not sure if I went over the word limit so as to why I posted this first portion.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Day 4: We continue our trip south on the tails of the Uintah Mountains. The Uintah Mountains are the only mountain range in North America that runs directly East to West. The descent into Vernal, Utah is break taking. Be sure to follow the speed limit here. I once got nabbed for "speeding" when I was simply letting the trucks engine do all the work on the descent. Speed Limit 30 mph and I has doing 43 as my old 4 speed chevy in second only goes 45. Anyhow ha ha back to the topic at hand. Vernal,UT to Duchesne,UT appear to be nothing short of desert riding with the view of the Uintah Mountains to the North. From Duchesne,UT onto Price, UT appears as though you will be back into some mountain riding for a short stint. Then back to desert riding from Price, UT to Green River, UT. I would chose the Green River State Park to stay in Green River, UT. Total of 243 mi.

Day 5: Here the riding would appear to be interesting again. The short days may give folks time to stop at many of the desert wonders that can be found in the portion of Utah. Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, Moab, UT are among the places that you will be riding through. At Moab, UT you will cross the Colorado River. Another "great water". The Green River joins the Colorado River within the Canyonlands NP. The Colorado River makes its way through the desert, ending in the Gulf of California. At Bluff, UT, I would chose to take a detour and travel over to Four Corners, as why wouldn't you want to say you stood in 4 states all at one time. From here you can chose to travel back west to the 191 or you can continue on into AZ and lay eyes on another geological marvel, Ship Rock. From Ship Rock, I would take the 491 south, then west on Route 13. Route 13 travels directly across the hogs back formation that includes Shiprock. This day will end by crossing Buffalo Pass. Here you'll be on the Navajo Reservation. I suppose if you wanted to stay in Shiprock you could. I would love to camp in those Mountains on the reservation being an adventurous type myself. The mountains may also give some relief from the heat depending on what time of year you would so choose to take the trip. Total mileage for the day with my plan staying on Buffalo Pass is approximately ~274 mi.

Day 6: Beginning the day, we'll make a jaunt back over to 191. I would expect that it would be worth the jaunt over to the Petrified Forest National Park on this day. Otherwise, I really expect this ride to be nothing but desert riding with lulls here and there but I also expect some decent views along the way. Beginning around Springerville, AZ, it would appear that you would begin back into some mountainous country. I chose to end this day in the this mountain range here and camp at the Hannagan Campground in the mountains. It would appear that we cross the Continental Divide again on this Day and the water from here on out travels towards the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico once again. Looking at the road on Google Maps it looks as though you'll be in for a treat at the end of the day after enduring the straights of desert riding. Total mileage ~256 mi.

Day 7: Final day, as I continue my speculation. I don't really have much to say about this portion of the trip. I found what appears to be a pretty cool mountain riding section southwest of Cactus Flat, AZ. I think this little jaunt would be well worth it. The Route is AZ 366. I'm pretty crazy about my mountain riding so what ever a guy can do to get off the flats. The day ends in Douglas, AZ. Doing a little research, the town's own pride and job is the historic Gadsden Hotel. I expect I would be staying on the States side of the border yet I think it would be worth it after all the miles ridden to travel into Agua Prieta, Mexico for some fine food and a lil tequila. Total mileage with the AZ 366 Jaunt, ~272 mi.

I really enjoyed writing this up and I hope I didn't bore you all too much. Let me know if you'd like to see more of this kind of stuff. I do enjoy writing and I do enjoy dreaming up some pretty cool adventures. Maybe I can do little snippets of some of the local riding we have around here too.

Keep the shiny side up!

Attachments

Reactions: Speedie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.