Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my head unit back in 2015, when I gave my entire bike a transformation. I went with a Sony MEX GS610BT. One of my main reasons why I got rid of the stock HK stereo was due to the absence of a USB port (I got tired of burning CD's!).

Anyway, since I installed it, I always had an issue with my music skipping in and out due to vibration and/or shaking, since most car stereos don't usually experience this type of problem. The flash drive would lose contact and regain contact over and over. And we all know that Harleys produce a massive amount of vibration!! Anyway, it became a very irritating issue for me, constantly waiting to stop at a red light so I could unplug and plug in my flash drive again, which usually meant going back to song #1 on my playlist!

Most standard flash drives are over two inches in length, which gives the bike something to send vibration through. I finally got some good advice from a stereo shop, about the "micro flash drives" which are much smaller in physical size. I bought a Sandisk 32gb drive yesterday, which measures less than .75 of an inch! It is very snug when inserted too. Finally, no more skipping or losing my music when riding!!!! Problem solved!!

I wonder if anyone else had the same issue as I did?? Live and learn!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I changed my head unit back in 2015, when I gave my entire bike a transformation. I went with a Sony MEX GS610BT. One of my main reasons why I got rid of the stock HK stereo was due to the absence of a USB port (I got tired of burning CD's!).

Anyway, since I installed it, I always had an issue with my music skipping in and out due to vibration and/or shaking, since most car stereos don't usually experience this type of problem. The flash drive would lose contact and regain contact over and over. And we all know that Harleys produce a massive amount of vibration!! Anyway, it became a very irritating issue for me, constantly waiting to stop at a red light so I could unplug and plug in my flash drive again, which usually meant going back to song #1 on my playlist!

Most standard flash drives are over two inches in length, which gives the bike something to send vibration through. I finally got some good advice from a stereo shop, about the "micro flash drives" which are much smaller in physical size. I bought a Sandisk 32gb drive yesterday, which measures less than .75 of an inch! It is very snug when inserted too. Finally, no more skipping or losing my music when riding!!!! Problem solved!!

I wonder if anyone else had the same issue as I did?? Live and learn!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
I don't have that issue on the Alpine. I use an extension ,and it stays in tight.
I do use the micro usb drives in my truck. The only down side is ,they are so small , you now lose your music by lossing the drive itself. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have that issue on the Alpine. I use an extension ,and it stays in tight.
I do use the micro usb drives in my truck. The only down side is ,they are so small , you now lose your music by lossing the drive itself. :)
At one point, I was considering a new head unit of a different brand other than Sony! Glad to see your Alpine is good too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts