Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or will it be an improvement. I have my stock header gutted. It's a free flow until the mufflers. Then it gets back pressure. The power duals step down into a collector then split off. Just that should get more torque. Probably nothing seat of the pants noticeable. But would raise the numbers on the dyno. And the main reason. Is. It looks better. My stock header well, it looks stock. And it's the one thing that's left I didn't touch. I have the FP3. I'm sure the maps they run are pretty good when using their components.

What's your opinion. My other option is the cutaway heat shields Harley has. But for a couple hundred more I have a complete header.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I guess it's whatever your gut instinct tells you, I did a fullsac sport pipe for the performance it fits under the stock heat shields, yea looks pretty plain but I rip into turns hard and sometimes the power duals scrap, if not for that it's a great performing head pipe, I am not a fan of true duals for there lack of low end torque.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If your going for looks to get away from the stock look, go for it. As for performance, if it works better than a gutted headpipe, and it should since it’s designed as a performance pipe, then that’ll be a bonus for you. It might just surprise you. Are you looking at black or chrome?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Correct gutted head pipe does nothing for torque , actually it's less, that why I did fullsac, same principal as the power duals, need that reduction for a venturi effect, increases performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have the power duals....i don't think you'll notice much additional power, but they look good, and i have never scraped it i don't think, and it sounds a bit better. it's also a good setup if you add more later (cams, heads..)
Vance and hines is reputable and quality product. now ya know what i know...:)

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it's whatever your gut instinct tells you, I did a fullsac sport pipe for the performance it fits under the stock heat shields, yea looks pretty plain but I rip into turns hard and sometimes the power duals scrap, if not for that it's a great performing head pipe, I am not a fan of true duals for there lack of low end torque.
Absolutely hate true duals. Would prefer a 2-1 But I have bag extenders and I'm not giving them up just yet. Unless I can come up With a way to close off the one side to look right.

If your going for looks to get away from the stock look, go for it. As for performance, if it works better than a gutted headpipe, and it should since it’s designed as a performance pipe, then that’ll be a bonus for you. It might just surprise you. Are you looking at black or chrome?
Chrome. But was considering getting that center cover powdercoated gloss black.

Thanks as always for the opinions guys. I'm gonna do it as soon as I get the bike out of storage. There went another grand if ya add in the V&H air cleaner I just bought. Lol. Need more overtime to get more parts faster.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I hear ya brotha, ain't that the truth, I could use some extra scratch myself, would like to black out some of the covers on the motor, it never ends, that's what makes it fun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
16 RGU here. Went from stock to full V&H Stage 1. Header, FP3, Power Duals and Monstor Rounds. Well worth my money. It's runs like a different bike and the heat was reduced a ton.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Absolutely hate true duals. Would prefer a 2-1 But I have bag extenders and I'm not giving them up just yet. Unless I can come up With a way to close off the one side to look right.
You could get a 2-1 with a ghost pipe & you have the option of removing ghost pipe to change things up if you ever get new bags, fender or fender extension down the road. They also sell plugs for exhaust cut outs but not sure it’ll work on those bag extensions & it would require some body work etc. not sure if it’s worth it. There’s no wrong choice, just different

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could get a 2-1 with a ghost pipe & you have the option of removing ghost pipe to change things up if you ever get new bags, fender or fender extension down the road. They also sell plugs for exhaust cut outs but not sure it’ll work on those bag extensions & it would require some body work etc. not sure if it’s worth it. There’s no wrong choice, just different
From what I've found. The 2 companies that made them. Stopped. Drago and I forget the other one. I don't mind the 2-2 look. I like the 2-1 look better and the added torque is a big plus.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
D&D & Thunderheader have ghost pipes, I’m pretty sure there are others
Ok. I'm good now. Lol. Not ready to drop another 1500+ this year. Its nickel and dime time. Lol. I did a bunch this year. Rims, foot boards, tires, dash and a new air cleaner. I'm gonna stick with the original plan. Power duals. Ins if I decide to go with extended bags I'm gonna go 2-1 with the one bag open.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My mother was looking just for better sound out of her V&H slip-ons on her tri-glide...... ended up with the dresser duals instead of the power duals and man, they sound awesome!! The one complaint I saw often with the "power dual" is that a lot of guys noticed that they lost some low end TQ, when they thought the power duals were adding power all around.

If you're just going for sound, I would push you to the old Youtube and hear the difference between the dresser and power duals before you make the final decision.

The total package on the Tri-glide consisted of dresser-duals with her Hi-output V&H slip ons and an SE Auto Tune module since she has the extended warranty and did not want to mess with dealing with any warranty issues out on the road. I've ridden it a few times and there is definitely a little boost of power along with the sound. Just food for thought!

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I had Power Duals on my old Gray '16 with Bassani DNT Slips and the SERT Dynoed and that bike ripped - Out Ran Stock CVO 110s all day - I love the looks of the Power duals and I could actually "hear" better air flow too

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My mother was looking just for better sound out of her V&H slip-ons on her tri-glide...... ended up with the dresser duals instead of the power duals and man, they sound awesome!! The one complaint I saw often with the "power dual" is that a lot of guys noticed that they lost some low end TQ, when they thought the power duals were adding power all around.

If you're just going for sound, I would push you to the old Youtube and hear the difference between the dresser and power duals before you make the final decision.

The total package on the Tri-glide consisted of dresser-duals with her Hi-output V&H slip ons and an SE Auto Tune module since she has the extended warranty and did not want to mess with dealing with any warranty issues out on the road. I've ridden it a few times and there is definitely a little boost of power along with the sound. Just food for thought!
I see the dresser duals are a true dual. I may consider them if i cam up the bike. But I've had them and hate them for the loss of torque. Not sure about the guys stating they get a bigger loss with the power duals. The design alone is to maintain the torque. My 11 built with big cams was a pig out of the hole with Rush true duals. I'm sure they sound good. Its straight flow with no back pressure until it hits the mufflers. I just can't go back to that scenario. I really was a 2-1. But I'm almost 4k deep this winter.

Swomack. I know. I'm a fan of V&H. Had the FP3 on my bike writhing a few weeks and that was with all stock pipes, cat and a.c..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well if your goal is to save money and get what you want, it's like the custom front/rear wheel debate. I'd tell you to do what you can and as time/money allows, make additional changes when you can. In this case, spring for the 2into1 and as time allows, you can add a left side extended bag with no cutout OR you can change the tail/bags to a more custom look down the road. I don't see dropping the $$ on a set up that will just get you by for now!!!

I can't tell you how much I love my V&H Pro Pipe!!!!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if your goal is to save money and get what you want, it's like the custom front/rear wheel debate. I'd tell you to do what you can and as time/money allows, make additional changes when you can. In this case, spring for the 2into1 and as time allows, you can add a left side extended bag with no cutout OR you can change the tail/bags to a more custom look down the road. I don't see dropping the $$ on a set up that will just get you by for now!!!

I can't tell you how much I love my V&H Pro Pipe!!!!
If I didn't have extenders. I'd have a pro pipe. Bet on that.
I'm sending Ciro an email asking about a block off plate. Or if they're making an extender that's blank on the left side.

I need to just step back and enjoy what I've done so far. But the weather is not cooperating yet up here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts