Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the V-Twin head unit install kit..disappointed in the product is an understatement, if I had not been leaving on the bike to go out of town ,I would have returned it . First of all I did not but directly from V-Twin, supposedly a distributor, the install directions looked as though they had been Xeroxed about a thousand times and were not hardly legible at all.There is at least 1/8" gap at the top of the face plate where it meats the dash, and the worst part is the only thing that holds the unit in place is a "L" bracket in the back. My head unit flops around like a fish. I'm taking this POS out first chance I get .

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I bought the V-Twin head unit install kit..disappointed in the product is an understatement, if I had not been leaving on the bike to go out of town ,I would have returned it . First of all I did not but directly from V-Twin, supposedly a distributor, the install directions looked as though they had been Xeroxed about a thousand times and were not hardly legible at all.There is at least 1/8" gap at the top of the face plate where it meats the dash, and the worst part is the only thing that holds the unit in place is a "L" bracket in the back. My head unit flops around like a fish. I'm taking this POS out first chance I get .
Did you slide the HU in from the front ? The fairing holds the front . The bracket that came with the HU bolts onto the Vtwin shelf, and the HU should snap in place in that bracket. The L bracket in the back ,just holds the rear steady.
I thought the Vtwin install kit was a great kit, pricey, but very nice, especially their splash cover.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

I agree. Your installation is incorrect. I have the Vtwin kit and it's super tight! Maybe it's your distributor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed from the front, but mine came with nothing to support the unit from the sides...if anyone has a picture of a installed unit or a copy of the install instructions, maybe I could understand better.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Something definitely wasn't installed right. I've been using mine for over 2 years and it's very tight. Best install kit I've used and I've used just about all of them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
234 Posts
What's the difference between the vtwin kit and others?

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
What's the difference between the vtwin kit and others?
The V twin kit is a one piece aluminum self style bracket. The others I've seen are multi piece plastic. Supposedly, their splash cover don't work well with other kits. That's the main reason I went with it. No leaks !

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The radio sets in a wood / plastic type containment..this held in place by the original bracket and screws,,i am telling you my radio flops around because nothing supports it from either side, I installed from the front but it barely touched the sides, and at the top there is a 1/8" gap.....maybe its my radio, it would be just my luck i would buy the one radio that does not fit peoperly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.