Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to attend SW and was just curious how much vacation time people are taking. Obviously that question has way to many variables built in but just looking for an average. 1st of the year we can put in our vacation request and Im thinking about 1.5 weeks should do. Thoughts?????

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Well im not average I did SWIII in a week (6,300 miles) left sat. was back sun took mon,tues. off to relax!! It all depends what kind of miles you want to put down and what you want to see on the way. a weak and a half should be good.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm planning for 15 or 16 days. We're doing the Gypsy Tour and then we plan to head over to the coast to ride down the coastline of Maine. I'm hoping we will have time to ride through the Catskills and the Poconos on the way home. Also I'd like to stop by the York factory and Gettysburg. Getting back may take us 7 or 8 days.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I live close enough to only take 5 days off from work. Unfortunately, I may have to shorten it a day but, too soon to tell

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
It all depends what kind of miles you want to put down and what you want to see on the way. a weak and a half should be good.
This pretty much says it all. Map out the route you think youll want to take then figure out how much riding you can do or will want to do in a day and go from there. And im sure youll need to plan a couple cool down days for relaxing before you head back to the daily grinds

·
Registered
644 Posts
From Southern Indiana you can ride to Erie, PA on Thursday to join the Gypsy Tour, which leaves Friday morning. You can leave New Hampshire the following Friday morning and be home Sunday easily.

Add time if you want to do some additional touring.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking at both of the pre tours but have to wait till sometime in Jan. to find out the vacation time. Was just curious what most are doing.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm either going to do the whole thing with a week of vacation M - F using the weekend before for travel to and the weekend after for riding back home or I'm taking 2 weeks and making it a family vacation with 3 days of Shark Week squeezed in there somewhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
I'm going to take at least 2 weeks, maybe 3, but I plan to do a little more than SWIV.....

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I plan to attend SW and was just curious how much vacation time people are taking. Obviously that question has way to many variables built in but just looking for an average. 1st of the year we can put in our vacation request and Im thinking about 1.5 weeks should do. Thoughts?????
One week (+week-ends on both ends,) provides 9 days. Two days ride from S. Indiana each way + 3 days SWIV, gives 7 days plus two days margin. Don't cut the schedule close unless you have to-there's always something on the ride that is worthy of a little serendiptuous self-indulgence.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
On any trip we typically allow a few days before the event in case you want to see things on the way there or participate in the Gypsy tour or Garvins ride, the event itself and then back to work on the following Monday since that's when my week starts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm planning on 16-17 days for the trip. This will include taking our time on the way up and either a week around the NE or a run up to PEI and Nova Scotia.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Keep me informed about PEI or Nova Scotia cause I'm interested

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Well, coming from So Cal it's gonna be three weeks at best - and that's my entire allotment for the year. Just to get to Rat Fink's location will be four days. I'm also considering a post SW run to the NS/PEI area. My family originates from that country and I've never been there. Plus I've never seen real polar bears and Eskimos.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I'll more than likely end up taking 7 or so actual vacation days.

A m-f and then a day on each end.

SW3 was almost 3 weeks for me :) I think about it everyday.... best vacation ever!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
From Southern Indiana you can ride to Erie, PA on Thursday to join the Gypsy Tour, which leaves Friday morning. You can leave New Hampshire the following Friday morning and be home Sunday easily.

Add time if you want to do some additional touring.
+1 on what Tim said. Naturally depending on what you wanna do dictates the time you need. If joining the Gypsy Tour is on your agenda leaving Thursday from Southern Indiana is easily doable. We went to Laconia this year ('13) from Louisville and easily made it to Buffalo which is 100 miles further then Erie day 1. We went through the woods to Lake Placid to Lake George day 2 and across Vermont and on to North Conway, NH day 3 (about 50 miles from SWIV). The riding is very cool once you get off the big road in New York and gets better and better. The northeast is unique to any other part of the country.

Of course Shark Week itself is famously held in the middle of the week for just this reason so most people can get to and from SW in three days minimizing vacation needed. Unless of course you live in an extreme coast or corner of the country or plan on doing something crazy like going to Sturgis before Shark Week :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, coming from So Cal it's gonna be three weeks at best - and that's my entire allotment for the year. Just to get to Rat Fink's location will be four days. I'm also considering a post SW run to the NS/PEI area. My family originates from that country and I've never been there. Plus I've never seen real polar bears and Eskimos.
Hey Mutt my dad was born in Bridgetown Nova Scotia & I too want to go after SW4 if possible

1 - 20 of 23 Posts