Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need some help here please. Have 13 Road Glide Ultra and put 255 cams in it with Adjustable Push Rods. I am getting way to much noise out of Air Cleaner they say Valve Intake noise also heard it called Cam Overload with these Cams.

Trying to get some options to quiet it down. For now put stock Air Cleaner Cover back on to quiet down. I have talked to dealer and they said couple different options. Put in Sreamin Eagle Springs with regular Push Rods. Someone also said retard the timing 4 degrees.

Have heard of this problem with other bikes and never have found a solution but some say they just ignore it not me its to loud.

Guess main questionis it worth changing Springs. I am not interested in changing Cams.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Springs and solid pushrods will not do anything . Its due to cam overlap and the electronic throttle body. Either put stock air cleaner cover on or put stock cams back in.

My cam set has this noise too. You'll learn to just ignore it. Some bikes are worse than others for this noise as well as some cams make it worse.

·
Registered
512 Posts
same here

My 13 RG is all stock other than stage 1 kit. When I started running mine without the football cover the noise your talking about became loud as hell! Still trying to get use to it..... I've had other bikes with 88 and 96 ci running same setup and they didn't make the noise but everyone says it's normal so I'm trying to just get over it?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
What your are hearing is throttle body noise and a open air filter such as the heavy breather will increase the noise.
To begin with heavier valve spring won't fix your problem it will only make it worse. The throttle body is a megaphone that is a direct link to the intake valves and the noise caused by the closing of the valves seat hitting the head is transferred down and out the throttle body, a stronger valve spring will just increase the noise. Also pushrods are not the problem so take them out of the equation.
The other noise you hear is the throttle plate in the throttle body, the change of the throttle plate angle cause more or less air flow into the throttle body.
The increased cam lift will cause more noise out of the throttle body but with the .555 lift on the SE255 cams it shouldn't be too much of a issue.
The only thing you can do is use the stock air filter cover to cut down the noise.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'd suggest to install a set of S&S standard lifters, and load them to .140".
Should be VERY quiet at that point, as this methodology is what we use here when working with agressive cam profile noise.
Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone with suggestions. Looks like will either get used to it or run stock air cleaner is alot quieter with stock sucks having a nice air cleaner just sitting. Least know changing some things wont help. Thanks again

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have the 103 with the Big Bore kit to increase it to a 110. I did that as soon as I got the bike.

That kit included the SE255 cams, SE110 heads, 58mm throttle body and I put the SE Heavy Breather on it at the same time, as well as V&H Power Duals w/Hi Output slipons.

I have had that same noise ever since I made the upgrades. 52K miles later it is still there, and no damage to the engine. It still runs just as strong as it did when the changes were first made.

You get used to it over time and there is no harm in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts