Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a temporary valve train noise periodically. After the bike has been sitting (at least over night) when it starts up everything is fine. For the first quarter mile everything is fine but occasionally after that first quarter of a mile I get a pretty significant valve train noise but it seems like if I reve up to about 3500 RPM and let the revs drop back to idle - the noise goes away for the rest of the ride/day. Any thoughts? I'm thinking its time to have the tappets replaced. (2011 RGU, 103, Kuryakyn cams installed at 12000 miles bike currently has 64000 miles)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Well i can tell you from experience, my lifters failed at 10k on my 2011 FLTRX and that is kind of how it started somewhat, i heard alot of noise on startup after it was hot, and on accel sometimes. I installed S&S premium lifters along with cams and HD quickie pushrods, now runs real good no noises. These years came with the infamous C lifter, they were know for problems, and yes china junk.:frown:

·
Registered
988 Posts
As suggested, I'd probably start with replacing the tappets. Mine were bleeding down and rattling after a few hours of sitting, with only 400 + miles on the bike. Generally thats when the lifters bleed down, is overnight or long periods of sitting, causing the rattle. Valve trains usually get a bit noisier after everything is hot, the oil is thinner, and the expansion/contraction of the metals.
Are you sure it's coming from the valvetrain? Sound travels through these motors and can be difficult to locate, especially when moving.
With that being said, make sure all external stuff is tight, and that the exhaust isn't hitting the frame or elsewhere. Maybe the next time the noise occurs, stop and get off the bike to see if you can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

Lil Chief

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you want you could take a shot and dump some marvel mystery oil in the motor to see if maybe there is a sticky lifter, but if it was me i would switch out the lifters. I am suprised that you didn't put new ones in with the cam swap.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
A light rattle sort of tap is usually the rocker shafts. Usually worse in the 2500-3500 range. Rocker lockers will fix that.

Tappet issues are much louder, and more in time with motor RPMs.

But with the miles you have on those tappets, smart money would be on at least having a look at them.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
a buddy of mine had a similar noises and installed a set of Rocker Lockers i told him about and most of the noise went away. I'm gonna be installing some soon too

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Wow really? how much are those rocker lockers and where do ya get em?

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
With the mileage on the bike I would replace the lifters first. Chances are the rear cylinder lifters are going out, in my experience the rear cylinder lifters are the first to go bad. Replace the lifters and see what happens and do it before you get cam damage which could happen if the lifter fails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2011 ,2012 ,2013 harley lifters were crap..i had one completely come apart on my 2013 CVO.. had to put new lifters.. push rods..oil pump ..and cam bearings..if you have noise in the valve train.on these yr models, change the lifters..don't wait till something brakes like i did

1 - 12 of 12 Posts