Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting on a set of V&H true duals or some other type of V&H header to get rid of the cat (heat). I've already got the HD Heavy Breather so all set there.

Looking for advice on slip on's...

Had Rhinehart Racing 4" and didn't like them too much.

Looking for opinions on the V&H Monster Rounds or Monster Ovals. I want ideally a deeper rumble but without a ton of volume at cruising speeds. Thinking of going with their (V&H) quiet baffle option to tame the output some.

Would love to hear from those that have or have had these systems. Going with dealer install and SE tuner since the bike is under warrantee for at least three more years. Not real concerned with more power (but will take it as an advantage) but rather mostly looking to reduce heat and get some better sound, not louder sound, although I know I'll have to live with some increase regardless.

Thanks in advance. Links to any You Tube videos you have made or seen is also helpful and appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know if the ovals or the rounds are louder over the other? Or is the difference so slight that it really doesn't matter?

I 'chatted' with a V&H guy on their website and said the 'quiet baffles' only drop the db 2-3 db. Not much of an improvement. I want to say I've heard the rounds are a little quieter than the ovals but I might have that backwards!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have the ovals, and I can imagine anything quieter, lol. They look boss, but are very quiet. I wish I could give you a comparison but I haven't heard rounds in person.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ovals

True duels with monster ovals on mine. So much nicer than stock. V&H build quality is excellent. I liked the look of the ovals from the back of the bike, they fit the width of the bags better than rounds.

·
Registered
654 Posts
True duals with monster rounds on mine. Not loud at idle and not too loud when cruising but sounds really good when u pop or twist the throttle. Look at some YouTube vids. There is some on there. That might help.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have 2 co workers with the Monster Rounds on their Ultras. Deep rumble at idle and not obnoxiously loud when they twist the throttle.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am running the Jackpot 2-1-2 ceramic header with V&H Monster Rounds. They are the perfect compromise between deep rumble at cruising speed and powerful bark when on the throttle. The quiet baffle would tone them down more, but, I don't need it any quieter. Before I put them on, on had the stock mufflers on the Jackpot, the V&H seem quieter at idle and easy cruise believe it or not. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! ;)
Scoop

·
Registered
339 Posts
On my previous Ultra classic I ran V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals. Nice rumble at idle, a little growl when you twist the throttle. Barely noticable at highway speeds. I attributed the lack of sound to the tour pak and rear speakers blocking it out.

On my current RG I have the Python True Duals with V&H 4inch slash cut mufflers. Nice rumble at idle, intially when accelerating, but not much sound at all at highway speed. V&H make great quality stuff but I am honestly thinking of changing the mufflers, just to get a little more sound out of the pipes. In my opinion, this system is not much louder than stock. :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great info from all and thanks. I sat down with my HD guy today and ran my options by him. I was surprised when he suggested that if I really prefer very little sound to just keep the stock pipes and go with the headers and tuner. I thought the impeded flow from the stock mufflers would cause me to lose some torque but he said the opposite was true that you lose a (very) little bit with the aftermarket slipons because there is less back pressure.

Since I can always add different slip ons later I'm going to just go with some V&H power duals, SE Race tuner and stock pipes. Already have the heavy breather anyway. So I'll achieve the primary goal of getting rid of the heat, get a little better performance and only get a little more sound from the missing cat. Plus a large savings since the mufflers are the single priciest part of the package. Seems to be a win-win for me.

Will update this post later or maybe start a new one so the info is out there.

Again, thanks to all how offered opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran the stock cans with the Power Duals for a few days as I waited for the delivery of the Oversized 450 slip-ons. Much better sounding over stock set-up. But once I installed the 450's ... WOW!!! Nice deep rumble at idle, quiet enough while cruising the interstate, and plenty of bark when I crack the throttle. Very happy with the set-up.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I just installed V&H Power Duals and I have the V&H 4" slash cut slip-on's and couldn't be any happier. Much better throttle response and the looks and sound is fantastic. My bike also is much cooler without the stock head pipe CAT.
Swomack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.