Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday head back from Maggie Valley NC (Short Weekend Escape), I was headed to N Georgia to ride the back roads back to St Augustine. A beautiful morning on top of the Blue Ridge Pkwy and my Speedo starts dancing. My first thought was the speed sensor. What was really nagging is no cruise for the next 500 miles.

My instincts were correct, I called the local boutiques ~ bring bike in, leave it, blah blah blah.... I opted for option b, purchase $63 part and install myself.

Yes about a half hour... Remove starter, install sensor (below starter on the 12), reinstall starter. (I taped the battery cable to lazy to remove seat, ecm, battery cables).

Very straightforward and easy task. Works great now, so do my self cancelling directional indicators, and the cruise.

I did spend a few bucks ~ but my bike belongs with me ~ not in the boutique.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like I'm having the same issue; curious to know how many miles you have on your bike...I have just over 6K and it seems this sensor should not fail with such low milage. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine failed when my bike was fairly new, just a couple days before heading out to Florida and no speedometer, no cruise, runs like crap. Local Man O War H-D took care of me quickly when I told them I was heading out on a road trip. No more issues last 30K miles since then.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Exactly the info I needed, mine doing the same. Do you know if the sensor is in the same location on the '11? Any idea where info is in Service Manual?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Having the same problem on my 13 dealer said they cant get to it for a few weeks might just buy the part and do it my self. Anybody have the correct part number

·
Registered
740 Posts
Did you have a bunch of metal filings on the magnet of the old speed sensor? First time I did clean all that off and it worked for about 5K. No metal when I replaced it so may as well replace the part the first time around. Easy job.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine failed when my bike was fairly new, just a couple days before heading out to Florida and no speedometer, no cruise, runs like crap. Local Man O War H-D took care of me quickly when I told them I was heading out on a road trip. No more issues last 30K miles since then.
A year later, speed sensor going out again. At least it is a cheap part by H-D standards. I'll pull my speed sensor out and look at it just to make sure it is not crapped up and that it is tight. Out of warranty so I'll do it my dam self.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Vehicle speed sensor

Just curious if anyone can tell me where the VSS is on an 03 Road Glide.Had speedo fail on way home from NC to Ohio and bike actually died 2 miles from house. Am unfamiliar with location of this sensor and any help would be greatly appreciated. A pic would be great if anyone has one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just found a parts diagram online that I hope will help. Now if I can just get another day off i might be able to check and see if it is bad or just cover in fine shavings. And hopefully no real tranny damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 CVO road glide ultra "speed sensor failed low"

I recently bought this bike and i had the dealer who sold it to me change the cams. It has a fuelpak FP3 on it so I updated the map to include the cams and ran a new auto tune. I got a code after a long warm 1.5 hour ride home from work. The code was Fuel to rich so I set the old map back and tried to drive again and have now lost my speedometer and ability to scroll through my trip screens. What just happened?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts