Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Road Glide Bug Funnels

I am curious what purpose do the screens have?
As others have noted, these screens keep the rider from being hit by road debris and insects large enough to matter. The center vent aims bugs at your head/neck and has been nick-named a "bug funnel" LOL:smile:! These pics should clarify. Discovered I was allergic to wasp/bee stings while on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and had to pull over while experiencing scary symptoms:crying:. Started carrying an EpiPen (major expensive:surprise:) and started "MotorcycleVentScreens.com", a business manufacturing Road Glide vent screens.

Attachments

·
Read Only
3,104 Posts
As others have noted, these screens keep the rider from being hit by road debris and insects large enough to matter. The center vent aims bugs at your head/neck and has been nick-named a "bug funnel" LOL:smile:! These pics should clarify. Discovered I was allergic to wasp/bee stings while on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and had to pull over while experiencing scary symptoms:crying:. Started carrying an EpiPen (major expensive:surprise:) and started "MotorcycleVentScreens.com", a business manufacturing Road Glide vent screens.
Jeez, did you drive through a beehive?!?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seen your product on eBay, just havent pulled the trigger yet, congrats I hope the biz is going good for you, I know i will be ordering my set before spring since i took more than 1 bee to the face in the 1k miles i got on it before winter hit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No beehive LOL ......2 days of a road trip.

Mostly wasps actually LOL:serious: If you're curious, they were "collected" over a 10 hour period on a recent road trip described here. These critters are simply annoying pests for many riders, but can be problematic to those of us who are allergic to wasp/bee stings!
BIKER HUMOR
An anonymous web posting: “I remember an episode of Happy Days where the Fonz was teaching Richie Cunningham how to ride a motorcycle. The Fonz says at the end, to remember not to smile. Richie asks if that is so you look all mean and bad-ass? The Fonz replies – no, it is so you don’t get bugs in your teeth!”

·
Read Only
3,104 Posts
Mostly wasps actually LOL:serious: If you're curious, they were "collected" over a 10 hour period on a recent road trip described here. These critters are simply annoying pests for many riders, but can be problematic to those of us who are allergic to wasp/bee stings!
BIKER HUMOR
An anonymous web posting: “I remember an episode of Happy Days where the Fonz was teaching Richie Cunningham how to ride a motorcycle. The Fonz says at the end, to remember not to smile. Richie asks if that is so you look all mean and bad-ass? The Fonz replies – no, it is so you don’t get bugs in your teeth!”
I didn't realize you were the "vent screen guy." I have your screens. Very good design.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's the pattern I was given (I think) by the guy who sold me the side screens. I haven't made it yet because I haven't been able to find the correct material to use, but I printed it out and the paper template was a good fit so it should work once I do. YMMV. Sorry it's kinda hard to see (I didn't make it and don't do Photoshop), but if you print it out in B&W it shows up a bit better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I am curious what purpose do the screens have?
LOL, once you have a bee go up your nose, as I have, and get stuck in the back of your throat......You'll never ask that question again:wink: Luckily, I am not allergic to bee stings, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. Now my top vent stays closed 24/7 and I only use my lower vents which I installed some ss mesh years ago

·
Registered
60 Posts
Enjoy your center vent!

LOL, once you have a bee go up your nose, as I have, and get stuck in the back of your throat......You'll never ask that question again:wink: Luckily, I am not allergic to bee stings, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. Now my top vent stays closed 24/7 and I only use my lower vents which I installed some ss mesh years ago
Back of your throat??? WOW! You ARE lucky as that's a most sensitive area, good that distraction didn't adversely affect you! An effective top screen which stays in place reliably is a difficult design project and the funnel shaped vent offers nothing obvious to secure the screen. There is no need to keep your center vent closed any longer as a successful solution may be found HERE. And you still get to use the closure flap when you wish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's the pattern I was given (I think) by the guy who sold me the side screens. I haven't made it yet because I haven't been able to find the correct material to use, but I printed it out and the paper template was a good fit so it should work once I do. YMMV. Sorry it's kinda hard to see (I didn't make it and don't do Photoshop), but if you print it out in B&W it shows up a bit better.
That's my design, and you have to add about 1/4" to the top edge and bend it over and then use double stick tape to hold it in. The bottom will stay in the natural slot created by the plastic parts that make up the fairing and vent. By the way, I did not sell you the side screens, I have another pattern for those and am happy to share with anyone if they send me their email address. I just used a gutter screen that I bought at Home Depot. The cost was about $2.50.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's my design, and you have to add about 1/4" to the top edge and bend it over and then use double stick tape to hold it in. The bottom will stay in the natural slot created by the plastic parts that make up the fairing and vent. By the way, I did not sell you the side screens, I have another pattern for those and am happy to share with anyone if they send me their email address. I just used a gutter screen that I bought at Home Depot. The cost was about $2.50.
I used batman’s side vent pattern with 304 stainless #8 wire cloth found on eBay for about $20. It matches the air cleaner screen. I then used batman’s Center vent screen as a starting point. Widened it slightly and added “wings”. I added a 1/2” wide by 3/4” long tab at the center bottom of the screen. It goes through a small slot in the lower portion of the vent housing. Covered it in a rubber weatherstrip to prevent scratches ($5). Fished it into the vent housing, pulled tab through slot, bent and zip tied tab beyond underside of center vent assembly.

The plastic center vent assembly is held together (top and bottom) with double sided tape (like 3M emblem tape). Had I realized that sooner, I would have split the assembly, made my screen, completed the install, and reassembled.

Or just save time and hassle and buy them from Triggerman.
(But I just HAD TO HAVE matching cloth screen. Thanks a lot obsessive compulsive disorder!)

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry I didn't properly credit you. I didn't remember who I got it from (hence the "I think" part of my comment), just that I had it. Thanks for the info about needing to adjust the dimensions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just have to say that this is the best online community I've ever been a part of. I'm blown away that a member saw an opportunity to make a product, and a few bucks in the process, but will also just tell people how to make it themselves for cheap. My hat is off to you batman825. I'm ordering a set of these screens for sure as I'm also allergic to bees and in general do not like getting smacked in the face with large bugs on the highway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ROAD GLIDE Vent Screens

I'm ordering a set of these screens for sure as I'm also allergic to bees and in general do not like getting smacked in the face with large bugs on the highway.
Thanks ammacdo, your Triple SPLITSCREENS order ships tomorrow and should deliver in three days. Enjoy:smile:!

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,456 Posts
I've tried every setting on my printer and can't get this template to show up on a piece of paper. Is there anyway you could re-trace around it and upload again?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I've tried every setting on my printer and can't get this template to show up on a piece of paper. Is there anyway you could re-trace around it and upload again?
Ken are you still on a FB Hiatus? I can send them via DM there. I think I have it on my phone.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,456 Posts
Ken are you still on a FB Hiatus? I can send them via DM there. I think I have it on my phone.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

No I've re-opened my FB but I don't really get on very much anymore. You can send it via Messenger but Batman emailed the templates to me a while back and I was able to make the side vent screens but the center one is too light for either of my printers to print. I was hoping someone could make the one for the center screen darker so that it would be easier to print out. If not I will eventually try and make my own template. Thanks for the help either way bro.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts