Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a difficult time keeping cool while riding in even moderately hot weather ( side effects of cancer). Because of this, I have become a heat casualty a few times. I am looking for a carbon fiber half helmet that has vents but I can't find any. Do any of you know of any?
Thanks for the help,

J

·
Registered
927 Posts
I’m heat sensitive also. I purchased a Compcooler vest from Amazon. Vest circulates ice water. Makes a huge difference. Lasts one to two hours. Unable to get a link to copy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but 2 hours wouldn't be enough. I'm planning on 700 plus mile days. I guess its better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You’ve likely thought of this too - I haven’t even tried it but a couple years ago before heading west I bought a head cover - a lot like a simple bandana, but it claims to have cooling properties.

Not it but something like: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Enduracool-Cooling-Helmet-Liner/dp/B00XP3FSPG[/ame]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks but 2 hours wouldn't be enough. I'm planning on 700 plus mile days. I guess its better than nothing.
I used a cooling towel and wrapped it around my neck and crossed it on my chest when I rode cross country last year, particularly
when in the deserts of CA. I soaked it under the tap at every gas stop. Made a huge difference. I'm not sure about the helmet. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think for the features that you're looking, you need to either be looking into a modular helmet or a 3/4's helmet. I don't think you'll find many vented half helmets since, well, they are pretty well vented to begin with.

Benefits of a modular or 3/4th helmet is you'll be better protected from the elements while you put down the miles. Would be easier to place a cooling towel etc. on the interior too and not have it flapping around like crazy. If you go the half helmet, your best bet is a du-rag with cooling materials.

Good luck with your search!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Much cooler now that I wear a good full face with great ventilation.

Wore half helmets forever, since going full face I’ll never go back.

Get to my destination and don’t look like a over cooked lobster anymore!

·
Registered
927 Posts
FYI the vest does keep your core temp cooler which in turns keeps your head cooler even with a helmet. The ice water reservoir is refillable. Which can be easily done at any place that has an ice machine. Adds less than 5 minutes to a fuel stop.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a Crazy Al helmet. I like mine. Lightweight, no big penis head look. I don't have this particular one, but it looks good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Another thing to think about (though some might consider it blasphemy), is to get a NON-BLACK helmet. I know black is the default for most of us bikers, but it also absorbs heat from the sun like a SOB. A white or silver (or even chrome if you like shiny things) will reflect more of the heat and help run a bit cooler. I know that white carbon fiber is available, but I'm not aware of anyone that makes a helmet from it, though I suppose you could buy a black one and either paint or plasti-dip it whatever color you choose. Sorry I'm not more help, just wanted to throw this out as I don't think a lot of people think about this (including myself until I'm stuck in stop and go traffic on a 90°+ day and I'm like, "Why did I wear ALL BLACK today‽").

Reactions: Kudu40
1 - 15 of 15 Posts