Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 rg and I'm looking to add vented lowers, so I can add a set of j&m speakers.... so I'm looking for the best and most cost effective way to purchasing new vented lowers? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
470 Posts
These are what I purchased from this seller, great seller great communication. 100% stands behind his products. I had an issue with the paint "a smudge" on one of the outer caps. They sent new one right out to me. Great product paint matched perfectly. Got mine vented with speaker pods. I have Arc Moto 602 and they fit no problem.
Superior Blue Lower Vented Fairings Speaker Box For Harley Touring Glide 83-16 | eBay

Oh then ones I purchased what from advan-racing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superior-Blue-Lower-Vented-Fairings-Speaker-Box-For-Harley-Touring-Glide-83-16-/182231163826?var=&hash=item2a6dd2e3b2

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Reactions: Smarty

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Now it all depends. If your bike is black then the aftermarket fairing lowers may be a good deal. But if you have to paint them then the cost goes up. If the later is the choice then you could either order HD lowers primered or factory painted. The factory paint from HD should be flawless which you may not get from a local paint shop, call forum member Jon (PC Pain) at Horny Toad HD and tell him that you are a forum member and you'll get a discount on HD and aftermarket parts.
You should check out the cost of lowers and painting by a local painter vs getting a HD painted parts, the HD painted part may be more expensive but will match your paint and there won't be any flaws. Remember you get what you pay for and sometimes the cheap route isn't the best route. JMO :wink:

Reactions: Road dawg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes this is what I have now figured out. My bike is candy orange metallic. And don't see any aftermarket companies offering that color....

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Yes this is what I have now figured out. My bike is candy orange metallic. And don't see any aftermarket companies offering that color....
No you won't, the only aftermarket color available is black. One way to look at it is why would you take a aftermarket part that may be a lower quality product and pay $300 for a paint job. If you get the HD vented fairing lowers then you should get a better quality part worth putting a $300 paint job on. You can also look for used vented fairing lowers but on any vented fairing lower made before 2010 will have to have the fairing cap trimmed so they will fit the bike.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Back in 1012 when I got "The SHORT BUS" I did a ton of research on Vented Lowers, (the '09 Charcoal Slate is proprietary to that Bike) and Harley only had the painted Non Vented Lowers available direct... so I was going to have them painted anyway...

I settled on Gunslinger for the paint, as they painted the Bike originally for the MoCo. Their pricing was very reasonable, although it took a while since they were moving to a new facility at the time, Gunslinger was upfront about the timeline..

Gunslinger said that there would be no extra charge for prepping as long as there were no major cracks or dings, small stuff would be OK... so I figured used would be OK and I save$$...

I searched all over, ebay, forum classifieds, everywhere... At the time, the off brands were reporting a lot of issues, fitment, quality etc... The folks on ebay, and the classifieds, were on crack!!! wanting close to retail$ for dinged up $hit with cracks and rash...

Ended up, purchasing new HD unpainted at 20% off, and having Gunslinger paint, $aved over $150 doing it this way, had all new hardware, no issues...

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think what Smarty meant was that with very little effort you can get much more airflow from the Rushmore lower fairings. Look at one and you'll see it's easy to mod for great airflow.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think what Smarty meant was that with very little effort you can get much more airflow from the Rushmore lower fairings. Look at one and you'll see it's easy to mod for great airflow.
Will the Rushmore lowers fairing fit a 2013. I am going to get a set soon, would be nice to upgrade.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Man it's a tough crowd around here sometimes LOL
Still have the '01Willie, and the '05bat...
Just yanking your chain Heatwave. :wink:

All in good fun.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just yanking your chain Heatwave. :wink:

All in good fun.
Oh yea! My "Tough Crowd" is just paying homage to the late Great Rodney Dangerfield. 'Always got a good laugh from his self-depreciating humor :grin:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I figured as much.

Great actor, had a lot of good roles. Loved him in both Caddyshack and Back to School.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I went with Advan Black on my 2015 Special in Superior Blue. The quality of the paint is as good as the factory and the fit is perfect. Half the price of the MOCO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts