Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 SE one of the rear cyl head bolts is very rusty. I know I can't replace it without doing some gasket damage. Is there any recommendations of a product I can use to remove the rust before I paint it?

· Registered
10,584 Posts
On my 2000 SE one of the rear cyl head bolts is very rusty. I know I can't replace it without doing some gasket damage. Is there any recommendations of a product I can use to remove the rust before I paint it?

We use to use a metal prep called Ospho. It turned the rust white. Let dry a day , then top coat.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
HD dealers have chrome headbolt covers HD pn 32747-99 for $20.95 that you can install on the head bolts, HD also have Finned Headbolt Bridges that will cover the headbolts and you can get them in

Black Highlight- pn 43859-00 $59.95
Silver Highlight- pn 43857-00 $59.95
CVO Granite Highlight- pn61400148 $59.95
Chrome - pn 43858-00 $59.95

You can also get a Spark Plug/ Headbolt Cover - Chrome-pn 43835-98 $59.95

You can see these items in the 2015 HD P&A catalog page 568 & 569.;)

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Looks better! You put in a new spark plug too! I use the finned bridge on my bike and they really look nice IMO.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Turned out to no big deal. A little elbow grease and WD-40 made it right. Got a good deal on Evilbay and have some toppers on the way.

Were you able to remove the bolts without any damage?

I plan on getting my bike serviced next week or so, and due to living in Florida, I have a few bolts starting to rust. I plan on just telling them to replace any rusted bolts.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
You don't want to remove the head bolts unless you are removing head.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks better! You put in a new spark plug too! I use the finned bridge on my bike and they really look nice IMO.

Genuine SE spark plug.. suppose to get 10 extra horse power! ha ha! I went ahead and ordered some of the chrome toppers from evilbay.

Every now and then you have to catch a break. It keeps us in the game.
few and far between!

Were you able to remove the bolts without any damage?

I plan on getting my bike serviced next week or so, and due to living in Florida, I have a few bolts starting to rust. I plan on just telling them to replace any rusted bolts.
Read my post.. I didn't remove it. Sure way to disaster, although you might get lucky.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Read my post.. I didn't remove it. Sure way to disaster, although you might get lucky.
Just learned you shouldn't remove the bolts unless removing the heads.

Guess I'll have to figure something out about mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.