Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, new guy here but hope you can help me out (or point me in the right direction). I have a 2017 Special with the BoomBox GT. I added a marine amp (Clarion XC1410 and some focal speakers and connected them with the Biketronics BT-355 about a week ago. The amp positive and negative are connected to the battery and the remote wire is connected to the accessory wire in the fairing. The amp is crossed over at 90htz and there is no gain but a selector for high/low sensitivity (I've tried both).

So everything worked well untill yesterday during a really hot ride when I started to get no sound after I restarted the bike after it had been sitting for a few minutes. However, when the bike cooled down it would start working again. I started trouble shooting it last night and I figured out that the sound works no problem when on accessory (and the the bike isn't running) however as soon as I start the bike I get no sound if the amp is hot. I connected a source directly to the amp and got the exact same symptoms (so it's nothing to do with the BoomBox GT or the BT-355).

I also used a multimeter to measure the voltage the amp is getting and I noticed that when on accessory the battery is reading 14V (as expected) but when the bike is running it's almost 16. Is that normal? I'm currently thinking that this particular amp does not like the extra voltage as it's only rated to 14.4V and is going into some sort of protect mode when it's too hot. anybody have any other ideas I can look into? I've tried remounting the amp and getting more airflow.

thx

·
Registered
236 Posts
Look at the specs on your amp. My SounDigital is 8-16 volts. I’d be curious what’s yours is rated for

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looked up your spec sheet and see nothing except +12v. How big is your cable to the battery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10 gauge, not the best wiring kit TBH, just something I found on Amazon. This setup was meant to be a stop gap as I want to do a performance mods before I did the stereo.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
hi all, new guy here but hope you can help me out (or point me in the right direction). I have a 2017 Special with the BoomBox GT. I added a marine amp (Clarion XC1410 and some focal speakers and connected them with the Biketronics BT-355 about a week ago. The amp positive and negative are connected to the battery and the remote wire is connected to the accessory wire in the fairing. The amp is crossed over at 90htz and there is no gain but a selector for high/low sensitivity (I've tried both).

So everything worked well untill yesterday during a really hot ride when I started to get no sound after I restarted the bike after it had been sitting for a few minutes. However, when the bike cooled down it would start working again. I started trouble shooting it last night and I figured out that the sound works no problem when on accessory (and the the bike isn't running) however as soon as I start the bike I get no sound if the amp is hot. I connected a source directly to the amp and got the exact same symptoms (so it's nothing to do with the BoomBox GT or the BT-355).

I also used a multimeter to measure the voltage the amp is getting and I noticed that when on accessory the battery is reading 14V (as expected) but when the bike is running it's almost 16. Is that normal? I'm currently thinking that this particular amp does not like the extra voltage as it's only rated to 14.4V and is going into some sort of protect mode when it's too hot. anybody have any other ideas I can look into? I've tried remounting the amp and getting more airflow.

thx
Sounds to me like you fried the amp. I did the same to a RF amp a while back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more insights.... my multimeter is reading wrong. I got two different ones that are reading 12.7 off battery and 14.4 when running. so definitely it's an amp issue. I think Big Gary's probably correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I added a 120mm fan between the radio and the amp. if it's going into protect because it's overheating (because I fried it) perhaps it'll help keep it cool. else I'm looking for a new amp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry to hear you’re having amp issues but issues aside, the amp you’ve chosen is sending 50W (MAX) to each channel and unless you have your HU cranked up to nearly max, I’m guessing you’re pretty disappointed in the results. At what might be a normal listening volume, you’re probably giving those speakers 30w/ea when, depending on the model, are probably far more interested in seeing 150W each if not more.

Find yourself an amp that has some headroom above and beyond what your speakers want. Most speakers will handle 150% of their listed RMS and provided you’re capable of setting gains, you will be getting good power but also still not driving your amp to the absolute max capability. There’s not a lot of breathing room in our fairing and even the most efficient amps get hot fast when their being driven hard.

As for the clarion, you’ll be best served with it sitting in the nearest landfill. And if it’s going into protect mode and heating up as much as it seems, you’re risking a lot for a little bit of crummy sound out of some speakers that have real potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
more insights.... my multimeter is reading wrong. I got two different ones that are reading 12.7 off battery and 14.4 when running. so definitely it's an amp issue. I think Big Gary's probably correct.
The battery is supposed to read 12.x when off and 14.4 when running. That’s normal. You might be having a regulator issue if your bike is going beyond 14 Volts while running on the gauge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts