Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed about a week ago that my RG started to pick up a vibration at highway speeds above 50mph under steady throttle. It's not a steady vibration like an out of balance tire but more of a rhythmic (on off on off) vibration. I field checked it on the side of the road to make sure nothing was falling off or noticable but didn't see anything obvious. I brief rundown of the bike... 09 with stock 96" with just shy of 52k miles and I have had the monroe diy air ride set up on the bike for 3 years without concern and I also have had a, get ready... a car tire on the back for about 3500 miles already and again without concern. I haven't had time yet to put it on the lift and give it a thorough exam yet but if anyone may have any ideas please let me know. Thank Rob

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Rob could it be an engine vibration as in wore out engine mounts? Or is it coming from the wheels as in bearing failure?
Hope you get it figured out Bro.
Mike U.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The wife enjoys a rhythmic vibration. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
put your bike on a lift now and check the rear wheel bearing. I had a very similar vibration and my rear wheel bearing was shot! I posted a video a couple of weeks ago. do a search of my posts and you'll see what I saw! BTW the factory spec for play with the wheel mounted is .0002 so, if you see any play at all, its shot!

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
put your bike on a lift now and check the rear wheel bearing. I had a very similar vibration and my rear wheel bearing was shot! I posted a video a couple of weeks ago. do a search of my posts and you'll see what I saw! BTW the factory spec for play with the wheel mounted is .0002 so, if you see any play at all, its shot!
I will put on the lift tomorrow to check that out. I had those same wheels you have in that video but i replaced the wheels about 3 years ago with a set of take of enforcer wheels. I will however check the bearing tomorrow. It isn't a constant vibration

·
Registered
2 Posts
My bike is a 2016 RG Special with 27K on it. I have just recently replaced the engine stabilizer link attached to the front head. All kinds of vibrations at 3K rpm. One of the bearings was almost coming out of the link. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was able to get the bike on the lift today. I noticed what appears,to be rusty dust on the left side of the trans under the swing arm. I popped the lil chrome caps off of the swing arm pivots and I noticed the right side bushing was not centered in the hole and some loose rubber "dust" but the left side bushing appeared to be centered in the hole and no rubber "dust". I also noticed when I let the air out of the shocks so the bike squats completely, the swing arm pivot shaft moved about a quarter to 3/8 of an inch in the hole and the trans moves as well when the bike settled. So with that I got some new bushings and swing arm bearings coming. I was able to get the wheel off and the bearings feel fine. I should have enough time to get the swing arm off tomorrow

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I was able to get the bike on the lift today. I noticed what appears,to be rusty dust on the left side of the trans under the swing arm. I popped the lil chrome caps off of the swing arm pivots and I noticed the right side bushing was not centered in the hole and some loose rubber "dust" but the left side bushing appeared to be centered in the hole and no rubber "dust". I also noticed when I let the air out of the shocks so the bike squats completely, the swing arm pivot shaft moved about a quarter to 3/8 of an inch in the hole and the trans moves as well when the bike settled. So with that I got some new bushings and swing arm bearings coming. I was able to get the wheel off and the bearings feel fine. I should have enough time to get the swing arm off tomorrow
Let us know what you find with pics, if you can. I've got rust coming out and down the belt guard also and she started vibrating pretty good at high freeway speeds and dancing in the sweepers last week.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I didn't get pictures but I got the swing arm off yesterday. The rusty dust was actually coming out of the swing arm from a small hole in the front side of it. The hole is apparently supposed to be there and must be a reason it there but it's nothing to worry about. The two end bushings appear to be ok but I will still replace them when I get them, hopefully today. The pivot bearings feel fine so I'm not gonna replace those. I'm not sure this will fix the vibration but seeing the pivot shaft and trans move like I did I'm gonna replace the bushings

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And if anyone's curious, removing the swing arm really isn't that bad of a job. After I set the bike up on my harbor freight lift table it literally took me about 35/40 minutes to get the swing arm removed from the bike. Reintstalling it may take slightly longer because I'll need to line up the spacers, bearings sleeves and bushings in order to slide the pivot shaft back through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts