Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2012 Custom with approx 7,800 miles on it. Since day one I have felt a vibration mainly in the floor boards and seat when moving. The vibration stops at any speed as soon as I engage the clutch. So, that has eliminated several of my ideas as to the vibration. ( Tires, Alignment, etc) I understand that it is a Harley and they do vibrate. This is my third one in several years and have never had this issue.
I have been reading that several people have had problems with the Compensator Nut being loose and having issues with sprocket. I am trying to solve the issue by process of elimination.

I took bike out the other day and thought that I heard a clunking noise coming from the primary but was unsure if that was normal.

Is there any way to check Compensator Nut without pulling primary cover off? If it is the compensator, am I better off upgrading to an aftermarket set up.

Any suggestions or comments would help

·
Registered
483 Posts
no way to check the compensator, that I know of , without pulling the primary.
Also check your exhaust , make sure its not touching the frame anywhere it can cause strange vibrations

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I recently picked up a 2012 Custom with approx 7,800 miles on it. Since day one I have felt a vibration mainly in the floor boards and seat when moving. The vibration stops at any speed as soon as I engage the clutch. So, that has eliminated several of my ideas as to the vibration. ( Tires, Alignment, etc) I understand that it is a Harley and they do vibrate. This is my third one in several years and have never had this issue.
I have been reading that several people have had problems with the Compensator Nut being loose and having issues with sprocket. I am trying to solve the issue by process of elimination.

I took bike out the other day and thought that I heard a clunking noise coming from the primary but was unsure if that was normal.

Is there any way to check Compensator Nut without pulling primary cover off? If it is the compensator, am I better off upgrading to an aftermarket set up.

How's your bike starting , especially when hot ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked exhaust and all is tight. When starting the bike, it sometimes has what I would describe as a hesitation before turning over. I have not noticed if it happens if bike is hot or cold. I tried listening for a clanking noise coming from primary but did not hear anything. Bike is due for all fluids change. When i drain primary, I will take entire primary cover off.

What should I look for? It is driving me crazy.

Thank you all again for your help.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
I hesitation or "drag" during starter crank can mean you have a failed compression release if it's more promenant when hot that would even prove this symptom more true if it's more when cold it could mean your losing cranking amps on a weak or tired battery

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
My 13 has the same issue. No its not the exhaust. Mine is just like yours as stated. Vibration until you pull the clutch in and then it's smooth as silk. I'm gonna tear mine down in a month or 2. I'm gonna ditch the shitty chain tensioner for a manual set up. I'll also tear apart the compensator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, keep me posted on what you find. I will be studying for a promotional test for work so my riding days are over for the next two months. Was hoping to make Biketoberfest this weekend. Weather is unbelievable here.

I will eventually pull primary cover but that is the extent of knowing what to look for. Hopefully an obvious signs of wear on something. Thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
firedog, I am having the same problem, started when I pulled clutch and something kept turning, whirling sound, pulling the primary this weekend....hoping its something pertaining to comp, on my second one, hopefully its not a crank issue.......geez

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you checked your drive belt tension? I would also check the primary chain tension as well. Confirm with what most everyone has been saying gotta tear the primary cover off to really look. Once you're in there make sure there is not excessive shavings and look at the sprockets to see if they are wearing funny. The ugly part of HD not getting with the rest of the world on gear primaries you have to deal with this awful chain issue....did I get off topic....let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

I know you have checked but 98% of the time when you feel vibration in the seat and the floorboards and it quits when you pull the clutch in, it's the head pipe rubbing the floorboard or the muffler riding against the bracket on the saddlebag muffler bracket. It can look like it has clearance but under load it can shift and just a small amount will do this. Had one guy that the heat shield was actually rubbing on the down tube once. It can also rub on the rear brake pedal and cause the same thing. If unsure, put a couple of washers on the floorboard bolts to move it out a 1/4" or so. Easy check. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts