Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a how-to video today, on how to match the denim black HD paint with John Deere Blitz black in a rattle can. I hope it helps some of you that have been thinking about trying it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCF6qOTNmpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for posting. Very informative. Chain, have you painted an entire bike with cans like this? I've always wanted denim, and I'm curious if it would come out looking ok. It would save me some major cash that's for sure....

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting. Very informative. Chain, have you painted an entire bike with cans like this? I've always wanted denim, and I'm curious if it would come out looking ok. It would save me some major cash that's for sure....
I've only done fenders with rattle cans. Mostly I spray it with paint guns.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good to know as I have a BDRGC. I use this stuff called "Plasti Dip". It's a dead in match itself. It is a spray rubber paint that is very strong yet can be peeled right off, remarkable stuff. Can you put the realtors sign up to genuine BD paint for comparison?

Thanks for sweating for us

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Tagging this one too Chain - thanks man. I need to do quick'n'dirty touch up on various minor scratches in inconspicuous places.

·
Registered
623 Posts
subscribing

·
Registered
234 Posts
This was a great video. I have thought about doing this with a alot of the parts on my bike as that I am not a big chrome guy (hence why I went with this color). But with the chromed pieces, I have heard that the chrome has to be taken off with acid to prep for the new color. May just be as easy for me to just send the parts ie..engine guard, covers, bag holders etc.. in for powder coating...any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was a great video. I have thought about doing this with a alot of the parts on my bike as that I am not a big chrome guy (hence why I went with this color). But with the chromed pieces, I have heard that the chrome has to be taken off with acid to prep for the new color. May just be as easy for me to just send the parts ie..engine guard, covers, bag holders etc.. in for powder coating...any thoughts?
If your the kind of guy that rides your bike to bike night, and 1 or 2 trips a year then painting chrome is for you. If your the kinda guy that takes your bike everywhere, paved and not, then powder coat is for you :D

Everything on my bike was painted,.. now, all the metal parts are powder except for the handlebars. It just holds up so much better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ah yes well that makes sense...powder coating it is..thanx for the assist...now to just find a good painter...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts