Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best route to Alexandria VA from Central PA without going on any road that contains the numbers 95, as in 95, 495, 395. My son just started working in McLean and got an apartment in Alexandria. I was thinking 15 to 7 to Falls Church but it looks like 7 is under construction. Any input from the locals?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Route 7 sucks even without construction. Too many lights and lots of vehicular traffic no matter what day of the week. Try this.

Before crossing the Potomac River on route 15 hang a left on route 28 in Point of Rocks. Stay on 28 until you get to Darnestown. Take a right on Seneca Road for about 5-miles then take a left on River Road (route 190). Stay on River Road till you get to Potomac and then turn right on Falls Road (route 189). Turn left on MacArthur Blvd and then bear right on the Clara Barton Parkway. Clara Barton parallels the Potomac River and the C&O Canal all the way to Georgetown.

Before you get into DC you can cross the Potomac River at Chain Bridge Road (route 123) and take it to the George Washington Parkway which parallels the Potomac on the VA side of the river. The GW Parkway will take you right into Alexandria. Take note once you cross the river you have to hang a right to stay on route 123.

All of these are back country roads with minimal traffic lights. It's not the fastest route, but much more enjoyable.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
I'min that area. Feel free to PM me. But yes, take US 15 into Leesburg. Pay the greenway fee and take 267 (Dulles Greenway/Airport) Road from Leesburg into Mclean. 7 has some construction but is just mega trafficked so accidents are common. DOOF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts