Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am coming to D.C. from June the 1st to June the 19th. My wife is now working there for a while.

I am planning to hire a RG in Eagle ridder.

1.- Is there anyone around to have a ride together?

2.- Any suggestions about nice day trip rides?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was just there all of last week for work. What a nightmare the traffic is there. Seemed like it was bumper to bumper everywhere, and saw at least a dozen accidents while there. I-95, in my opinion, is horrible. Just make sure you really pay attention when you're riding anywhere in that area.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
DC sucks for scooters. I try to avoid the whole region.

My advise would be to head west on I66, out past Gainesville Va. After that its good riding. Blue Ridge parkway is out past there. And 340 is a good ride to see the local country side.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Places to Ride in DC Area

I ride in the DC traffic nearly every day of the week, yea it sucks, but here are some helpful tips for riding in the DC Area:

1. In Virginia the Express Ways are free for Motorcycles, this includes the 495 Dulles Express, 495 Beltway, and 95 South Expressway. So don't sit in the Interstate, when you can zip pass all that terrible traffic.

2. Places to visit if your going north: Visit York, PA that is where the Harley factory is located. Touring and SE are made there. From DC, probably about a nice 2 to 3 hour leisurely ride. Go toward Baltimore than north on I83.

3. Places to visit if your going south: Visit the Shenandoah Mountains, Skyline Drive very nice twists and turns, but be careful if you are not used to sharp turns, its Virginia's version of the tail of the dragon. Take 66, to 522 then 211.... be very careful in that area, steep and twisty.

Enjoy the area!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot to all of you.

For the time being, I have organize a two days trip to Shenandoah, a visit to the HD Factory in York and a one day trip to Annapolis.

I am thinking of doing another day trip to the Getysburgh battle field or to Philadelphia.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Keep us posted on this and what days your are going where. I live about an hour or so south of Annapolis. If I am not working I may meet you there and buy you a beer. :grin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rubimad, June 2 or June 9th possibly, I am up for a ride to Gettysburg or York. I live up near that area. Would even come halfway down to ride up with you

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep us posted on this and what days your are going where. I live about an hour or so south of Annapolis. If I am not working I may meet you there and buy you a beer. :grin:
I'll keep you informed. I am planning to rent the bike for one week-ish. I will try to close the deal this weekend.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rubimad, June 2 or June 9th possibly, I am up for a ride to Gettysburg or York. I live up near that area. Would even come halfway down to ride up with you
Fantastic. I will keep you posted.

My wife will work most of the days, but during the weekend she might want to hold me just for her. We will see.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I don't think I have ever driven in or around DC when traffic wasn't terrible. Get away from there and you can find some good rides. If you're into American History, there's plenty of good locations to visit in Philly. Just watch where you go to avoid being murdered. The same advice applies to DC.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Just saw this thread. Keep me posted. I'll be happy to join you and Cowboy or show you some of the better roads that MD has to offer.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Already in DC with wife.

I went to York on Thursday to visit the HD Factory. It was awesome!!!!!

This weekend I am not moving from DC. Wife has to do some work, so I skip Annapolis.

We are planning to do the skyline drive this week. Probably on Thursday. We'll see.

Eagle Rider does not have any RD available in DC (that is what they told me). Only Electras and Softails. Nothing to do about it.

I went to the dealer in Fairfax, the Patriot one. I also went to the dealer in Fort Washington.

I made some test ride on RGS 2018 and on a 2018 Fat Boy. RGs are just the best!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So sorry I am not coming to Annapolis. I wish I did but wife is first.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also visited Gettysburg although I went by car. I visited it the same day I went to York.

I loved the visit to the battlefield. Amazing what it happened there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So sorry I am not coming to Annapolis. I wish I did but wife is first.
Glad you are having a good time. Glad you didn't try Annapolis today, weather went downhill big time.

If you have the time, walk the monument area and get lunch from a food truck. Seriously, some of them have excellent food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts