Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Road Glide and use the Thundermax ECM. The bike has 105K but starting around 60k while riding the tach and speedo would fall to zero while all the the warning light would come on, this might happen about 3 times a year. If you stop and shut the bike down everything will reset to normal but if you pull in the clutch and kill the motor while riding it will not reset. Today I had a new problem on a short ride the voltage dropped to 12 on the gauge, after 30 to 60 seconds it would climb back to 14 again, this happened 3 times while i was heading out but everything was normal on the ride home. I've replaced the charging system twice in the last couple years but I think what ever is causing my problems might be putting a strain on the charging system because when sitting at a red light my voltage will drop too. I've tried pulling the ignition switch but all looked well so I just cleaned it up and used some dielectric grease and reassembled.

Anyone got a cure?

I cleaned the fuse panel spotless and checked the grounds. The only thing left is to check every connection in the wiring harness and I'm just not up to that (yet).

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I have a 2007 Road Glide and use the Thundermax ECM. The bike has 105K but starting around 60k while riding the tach and speedo would fall to zero while all the the warning light would come on, this might happen about 3 times a year. If you stop and shut the bike down everything will reset to normal but if you pull in the clutch and kill the motor while riding it will not reset. Today I had a new problem on a short ride the voltage dropped to 12 on the gauge, after 30 to 60 seconds it would climb back to 14 again, this happened 3 times while i was heading out but everything was normal on the ride home. I've replaced the charging system twice in the last couple years but I think what ever is causing my problems might be putting a strain on the charging system because when sitting at a red light my voltage will drop too. I've tried pulling the ignition switch but all looked well so I just cleaned it up and used some dielectric grease and reassembled.

Anyone got a cure?

I cleaned the fuse panel spotless and checked the grounds. The only thing left is to check every connection in the wiring harness and I'm just not up to that (yet).
Sounds like a bad voltage regulator . I also heard those Thunder max ecm's act weird when going bad.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ignition switch and system relay should both be checked. Be sure to check for corrosion in the connectors. And you might want to check the circuit from the regulator to the back to the starter solenoid for resistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts