Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last two times I have been riding the 2012 Road Glide Ultra I have notice the voltage
intermittently fluctuating. First time it dropped to 11.4, and then after 15min it spiked up to 14.7.
It stayed that way the rest of the way home. Second ride (most recent) it dropped to 12.1 and stayed there for a good 6min of highway driving before it rose up to 14.2. I checked to battery and performed
the stator test. Both seem in order, so I am suspecting it is the Voltage Regulator. I read up on some forum posts here and it seems others with the 12's have also had the same issue. RMStator has a
(upgraded) voltage regulator for $129. Has anyone had any experience with RMStator. Not real crazy
about spending the money on an issue that is intermittent, but I dont want to buy a $40 Ebay regulator
that is probably from China.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sure sounds like the voltage regulator. I have a 2012 as well they had a recall on them when they first came out and mine was replaced. Then 5 years later while traveling across country ran into the same issue you are having. Pulled into a dealer and had it replaced.

Sorry can’t help on the make of regulator you are looking for but you should replace soon before you get caught on the side of the road.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've not heard of RMStator, but personally when I have to replace a stator or regulator, I go with Cycle Electric. Very solid stuff.

According to CE's website, CE-608 would be the one for your bike: http://www.cycleelectricinc.com

It's available on Amazon, just search for CE-608.

You can find it other places as well. PhatPerformance, Direct Cycle Parts, etc.

Good luck with getting it resolved. Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I've not heard of RMStator, but personally when I have to replace a stator or regulator, I go with Cycle Electric. Very solid stuff.

According to CE's website, CE-608 would be the one for your bike: http://www.cycleelectricinc.com

It's available on Amazon, just search for CE-608.

You can find it other places as well. PhatPerformance, Direct Cycle Parts, etc.

Good luck with getting it resolved. Cheers. -Jay

I’ll second what Jay said!
I have a 2012 Custom and replaced the stock VR with a Cycle Electric one about 2 years ago just for preventive measures. I have since purchased a Cycle Electric Stator that I will be putting in come Spring, just because.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Sure sounds like the voltage regulator. I have a 2012 as well they had a recall on them when they first came out and mine was replaced. Then 5 years later while traveling across country ran into the same issue you are having. Pulled into a dealer and had it replaced.

Sorry can’t help on the make of regulator you are looking for but you should replace soon before you get caught on the side of the road.

Good luck
Bad VR can take out a good battery also.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Since the alternator system came in for Big Twins at the start of the 1970s, regulators have been the WEAKEST point on our bikes.

Cycle Electric makes a top-quality product.

Cheaper ones can be bad out of the box, yes, even brand new.

I have to smile at folks who observe that that they have had 2 go down in 5 years. That's actually really good.

Here's a tip: since adding an EXTRA earth wire from regulator mount bolt to nearby ground i.e. forward control / footpeg / floorboard mount bolt, I have not had a regulator fail on either of my Shovelheads in the last 7-8 yrs. Before then, it was almost an annual event.

Gary is right ^^^^^ trickle-recharge and then check your battery, as the failed regulator may have caused permament damage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2 cents with a 12 ultra. Voltage did the same for me for some 3 weekends. Fourth weekend while on a 2 day trip, voltage dropped below 10. Stopped for coffee and bike never started. A AAA tow job to nearest Harley dealer, turned out to be the battery. Twenty-five minutes later I was back on the road.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
New to this information, is it the 2012s that had issues only? I have a 2011 FLTRX with 36k and the original voltage regulator and I have two long trips planned this summer you guys got me thinking? I know some of the issues were from the heat of the oil cooler, but my 96 inch does not have one, wonder if this is a factor as well.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I’ll second what Jay said!
I have a 2012 Custom and replaced the stock VR with a Cycle Electric one about 2 years ago just for preventive measures. I have since purchased a Cycle Electric Stator that I will be putting in come Spring, just because.
Mike U.

How many miles did you have on your scoot when you replaced it?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
How many miles sis you have on your scoot when you replaced it?

RD I think it was in the neighborhood of 15,000 miles. I have over 30,000 on her now.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ok thanks, considering getting a cycle electric one then, especially if it's better durability than HD and less coin.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ok thanks, considering getting a cycle electric one then, especially if it's better durability than HD and less coin.
You're welcome Bro!
I did a lot of reading on the OEM Electric System and found that Cycle Electric makes a very good quality replacement.
That's why I went with their Voltage Regulator and will be putting in their Stator very soon.
Cycle Electric Regulator CE-608 replaces OEM 74505-09A and can be found on Amazon with great reviews.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
389 Posts
New to this information, is it the 2012s that had issues only? I have a 2011 FLTRX with 36k and the original voltage regulator and I have two long trips planned this summer you guys got me thinking? I know some of the issues were from the heat of the oil cooler, but my 96 inch does not have one, wonder if this is a factor as well.
It's a Harley-Davidson issue on every big twin since 1970.

Nothing to do with any particular year bike, because regulators are - like spark plugs - a disposable part. They do fail. Sometimes the stator develops a fault and kills them. Often they die alone, and sometimes but not always they take the battery out with them.

Check you have good clean connections, check your charging system - meter across battery terminals, look for around 13.5 DC V at idle, rising to no higher than 14.5V at revs - then keep smiling and ride on. Shit does happen.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Thanks again , might just do this before my season as a preventative maintenance like Mike U stated, I know my buddy had his fail on his 06 street glide at 38k last year.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I went with cycle electric and it mounts above the oil cooler which moves it away from the heat that comes off the oil cooler. A much better option that helps the VR last longer. Very satisfied with the product.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just want to say thank you to everyone who replied. I have already load tested the battery and made sure
the cables were tight and corrosion free. I went with the Product from RMStator.https://www.rmstator.com/en_ww/products/mosfet-regulator-rectifier-for-harley-davidson-electra-glide-road-glide-road-king-street-glide-1450-1584-1690-2006-2016-rm30339. I had a friend that recommended them so we will so how it goes. Can say the shipping was very fast. Ordered on Tuesday and received it Thursday evening shipping from Canada to Florida. Will report back how it does and any differences I may notice. I will be saving the original as ya never know when you need a part to get you by while on the road. Thanks again for all the help and insight!!!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am really curious to see how many members have had voltage issues, I am leaning towards factory only because I have heard of some issues with cycle electrics customer service and warranty, has anyone had this problem? if I don't go OE it will be cycle electric because its USA made.:nerd:

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I am really curious to see how many members have had voltage issues, I am leaning towards factory only because I have heard of some issues with cycle electrics customer service and warranty, has anyone had this problem? if I don't go OE it will be cycle electric because its USA made.:nerd:
40k on my oem original VR . I don't have the oil cooler right there heating it up either.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I don't have an oil cooler either I wonder if that was a big factor, when I bought me 2011 FLTRX I got the 96 inch motor, the 103s had the oil cooler, now on the M8s its mounted higher, interesting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I went ahead and did the swap. Installing the RM Stator regulator. Overall it was pretty simple and straightforward though I did run into a couple issues. The replacement part was not an exact fit, the legs were not wide enough for the studs on the frame. I would say they were probably 1/8 inch off. I took the Dremel to the holes widening them and that did the trick. The replacement unit sits higher on the frame than the old factory one. It's good to get clean air to the regulator, however it also meant it interfered with the plastic cover on the oil cooler. I had to slightly trim the top side of the oil cooler cover in order to make it fit. As far as function I put 250 miles on the bike over the weekend and the voltage issue did not return. For the price it seems as though it was a good replacement however I am not happy about having to modify to fit the bike. I would probably just spend the extra money and buy the cycle electric one if I had to do over.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts